It's time for Christmas.....

Badger

Merry Christmas from Florida!

Cape Coral's Festival of Lights was Saturday, and some people said instead of it being a lighthearted night filled with entertainment and visits with Santa Claus, some children were left in tears.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/39581962/man-ruins-festival-of-lights-tells-kids-santa-isnt-real

?

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Cape Coral's Festival of Lights was Saturday, and some people said instead of it being a lighthearted night filled with entertainment and visits with Santa Claus, some children were left in tears.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/39581962/man-ruins-festival-of-lights-tells-kids-santa-isnt-real

?

I wonder what would have happened if I'd repeatedly punched this man in the face and demanded a jury trial.

3 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

?

Someone should have whipped up a big sign that read "THIS MAN IS THE GRINCH" and sung at the top of their lungs, "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."  Some kids probably would have joined in.

9 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

?

Should have done like me.  When I found/figured out that Santa wasn't real, I didn't let my parents know, I had. :angel:

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

I found that once my SAN was sufficiently negative, further reductions had no apparent effect.

I found out somewhat differently,  the more negative points you get, the better you function with the crazy.  (just no one else can make sense of it)

Mom invited me for Christmas dinner at her "retirement community" (actually rent-supported apartments -- but she loves it there) and I accepted. We're going to do the family holiday party either on Boxing Day or a little after that.

We've already exchanged our gifts -- Mom gets a copy of the original Going in Style with George Burns, Art Carney, and Lee Strasberg. My present was shirts from Burlington Coat Factory, which I got to select.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Mongols...."

But who am I to talk? I'm one of those people who actually enjoys the "tradition" of having a Yule Log on my TV playing in the background while I do stuff. My family also listened to Stan Freberg's classic satire "Green Christmas" (Freberg took a lot of flak for it from the advertising industry -- in which he worked alongside recording and voice acting -- and its airplay was severely limited by stations that didn't want to offend them. And the sketch danced around the notion that maybe some of the people in the room weren't actually Christians). 

Speaking of which, this Mariah Carey Christmas song (not, not that one) is especially sad. My understanding is that this is the lament of a war widow whose husband is never coming home.

There's a reason so many of the great Christmas songs came out of World War II. "Home for Christmas" seems to be the universal desire of soldiers, especially married ones. Meanwhile, wives back home live with the knowledge that at any moment they could become a widow and have to spend their Christmases alone for a very long time.

Today, of course, the scale is smaller (because the war is smaller) but the fear and the wish is still there. It will be there as long as we keep fighting wars.