Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Trump has (mathematically) clinched the nom.  It's too bad; I was really looking forward to seeing a contested convention.

Bernie and Hillary are polling 50-50 in California, which means Bernie is about 30 points short of what he'd need to catch up in pledged delegates. 

I was looking forward to a contested convention as well but when no opponents stuck it out to the end there was really no way that was going to happen - even if it did people would think poorly of the 'quitters' who didn't fight to the last, like Sanders has done, and vote accordingly. (Pipe dreams of a 'real' candidate parachuting in through the convention skylight yelling 'Yo, Joe!' and rallying the entire convention behind them was never really an option).

If it ended up a contested for the Democrats, somehow, I think Sanders would stand a chance because of that never say die attitude.  I respect him a lot more now than I did at the start of the primaries and that's a large reason why.

Well, according to this article, it was Sanders who initiated the idea of a Trump/Sanders debate. This has been a really weird election season. I think the only thing that would top what's already happened is if Trump chose Sanders for his running mate.

I don't think I can deal with many more surprises.

Now hearing from multiple sources that Trump's campaign is $41M in debt and the RNC isn't a whole lot better off financially.  The cost of a national presidential general election campaign is conservatively estimated at $250M, and previous funders of Romney and Bush are sitting this one out.  So the question then becomes--who is going to fund Trump's campaign, and what are they going to ask for in return?

At any rate, since Trump was only loaning money to his campaign, it seems clear that he wasn't even self-funding the primary campaign, let alone the general.

I just can't wait until the candidates are finalized, so we can see some statesmanlike discourse from two straight shooters cordially debating the merits of their cases. :whistle:

What have you been smoking, and send it to me, so I can get through this election.

there is, iirc, a book arguing he is worth significantly less than one billion dollars, in reality.  

Aye. And most of that tied up in assets, not cash. It's all part of the Trump persona, I guess; seems like a fertile source of ammunition for his opponents that hasn't, to my awareness, been deeply mined as yet.

Surely $250mill is chump change to a man as rich as the Trump. He can self-fund if he really wants to go the distance.

Trump did not get that rich by paying his own money for his projects.  Although actually even if he was as rich as he claimed to be, 250 million would be enough to seriously damage him.