Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

That's one of the ways wars can be useful.  It tends to kill off large numbers of people, in addition to stimulating the economy and spurring innovation.

It's also generally considered a great way to distract from domestic politics...

Oh, look, we're sending a carrier battle group to the Korean peninsula...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/politics/navy-korean-peninsula/index.html

That's one of the ways wars can be useful.  It tends to kill off large numbers of people, in addition to stimulating the economy and spurring innovation.

It's also generally considered a great way to distract from domestic politics...

Oh, look, we're sending a carrier battle group to the Korean peninsula...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/politics/navy-korean-peninsula/index.html

This cannot end well.

If we go by historical cycles, the world is due for another major global war anyway. I WAS kind of hoping it would be one we could sit out, or arrive gloriously late too (it worked well for us before)... but hey, you know, I'm sure us fighting in North Korea, Syria, possibly the Ukraine area all at the same time will work at least as well as that going after Iraq when we weren't done with Afghanistan bit did. 

I know there are monsters in this world, and I know some of them should be stopped... 

but I also keep flashing back to that quote by Bilbo Baggins

"I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

We've been trending towards increased conflict for a while now.

I tend both toward hawkishness and globalism, but I like to believe in there being a plan or overarching strategy involved.

A president who ran on isolationism and who is quoted as believing in the value of acting on his initial impulse du jour does not inspire me with confidence on the existence of either a plan or strategy.

We've been trending towards increased conflict for a while now.

I tend both toward hawkishness and globalism, but I like to believe in there being a plan or overarching strategy involved.

A president who ran on isolationism and who is quoted as believing in the value of acting on his initial impulse du jour does not inspire me with confidence on the existence of either a plan or strategy.

Acting on the impulse de jour is the very last thing I would want a man with access to the most powerful military on Earth to be doing. Obama thought about his actions and knew they would have consequences. Obama's steps in Syria were halting at best, but he was clearly looking for something that would have a positive outcome, and never found it. Trump is just reacting, in a knee-jerk fashion, to stimulus. And that response was at best ham-fisted and at worst mutton-headed.

Impulsive actions havi8ng long-term consequences is a concept that Americans seem to have lost track of in our pursuit of instant gratification. We see that in a lot of the personal decisions people make (how many of us have hit the 1-Click button on Amazon and gotten something it turns out we didn't really want?), and now it's becoming endemic in politics. And this is a bad thing, especially when you can get caught in quagmires that exact a huge toll in human life. 

Acting on the impulse de jour is the very last thing I would want a man with access to the most powerful military on Earth to be doing.

<...snip...>

Which is certainly a major reason any number of people didn't vote for him.

Unfortunately, sufficient people either thought he'd become 'presidential' or that he'd surround himself with professionals who'd keep him from doing anything too damaging or whatever reason they had for preferring him to an alternative.

Which is certainly a major reason any number of people didn't vote for him.

Unfortunately, sufficient people either thought he'd become 'presidential' or that he'd surround himself with professionals who'd keep him from doing anything too damaging or whatever reason they had for preferring him to an alternative.

My understanding is that presently you can become Presidential (or define the "moment you became President") by staying on script and reading from a teleprompter, with no tweets that strike people as the sort of thing one's insane, drunken uncle might produce after a bender, for about 90 minutes.

It's not that high a bar, these days.

Obviously I won't be running on a non-interventionist platform and then start throwing missiles around after less than 100 days, like some people.

I will also ban gerrymandering and believe in reality.  In fact, perhaps I should write up a manifesto detailing the core values of the Reality Party®.  Any suggestions?