Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Clapper said he wasn't briefed on the FBI investigation. So at the time he said he had seen no evidence, he hadn't been aware of what the FBI had. There goes that talking point.

This isn't about rationalizing Clintons loss. This is about whether or not there was a quid pro quo arrangement between the sitting president and one of the country's greatest adversaries.

And also if the POTUS directly interfered into an active investigation of criminal activity within his administration by firing the investigation's lead.

Nixon tried that trick in the early days of the Watergate investigations, wanting to fire the Special Prosecutor and in the process firing the people who told him they weren't going to fire the Special Prosecutor. It didn't work him, but if he had Fox News at his disposal it might have.

Nixon tried and failed to create a television network specifically to slant the news towards the right. It was an impossible feat in the days before ubiquitous cable. Now, Trump does in fact have a corproate Minitrue at his disposal. Theorteically he can get away with anything.

It sounded like a confession to me.  Corroborated by the acting press secretary, in fact.

Hey Mega, what's the going federal penalty for obstruction of justice?  Can you also look up the penalty for violating the emoluments clause?  And bribery, and treason?  Thanks!

I think the penalty is getting a medal, nowadays.

It sounded like a confession to me. Corroborated by the acting press secretary, in fact.

Hey Mega, what's the going federal penalty for obstruction of justice? Can you also look up the penalty for violating the emoluments clause? And bribery, and treason? Thanks!

Obstruction, 20 years.

Seditious conspiracy, 20 years.

Bribery, 15 years.

Money laundering, 20 years

Violation of emoluments, no criminal penalties, but it is considered valid grounds for impeachment

You're welcome.

The thing about Trump Administration scandals is that the man pushes forward so quickly that they just don' t have time to stick.

It's been working so far - at least with his base.  Hopefully we're getting to the point where people who haven't forgotten are in a position to make that past catch up.

Tonight's paper: The political cartoon

Donkey: "I was for the firing of Comey, before I was against it."

Circumstances changed. Comey, who did not seem to realize the (possibly unintended) role he played in placing Donald Trump in office, saw evidence of a possible criminal series if events and decided to push forward into looking into it, not realizing how little gratitude Donald Trump was willing to show.

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what happens when you elect a President who used to pitch cookies.