Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

This looks like the Pope is officiating at a funeral.

And like every funeral, there's always one fool who has to act the clown.

Given that Donald Trump despises everything the Pope stands for, and vice versa, no wonder the Pope is unhappy. I'm almost surprised the Pope granted him an audience at all. I'm sure he will be criticized in Europe for doing it.

And Trump naturally made himself the center of the picture. He must believe God takes orders from him.

Looks like that body-slamming guy from Montana will win his Congressional election (the assault happened after a great deal of early voting had already taken place, and Montana is super-red)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/greg-gianforte-bodyslams-reporter-ben-jacobs-montana

Besides, reviewing the reactions from the base, it might even help his election.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/3555039/posts

Is this being covered much in Great Britain? I ask only because the reporter worked for one of your papers (he isn't British himself)

That'd certainly nix any committee work, and that's where most of the congressional action happens. I wonder if there's a mechanism for Congresspeople to vote when they can't be in the room?

But if he actually has to do time, Congress will just remove him. His state is Red, so his appointed replacement will be too, and that's good enough for Congress.

​Well that was incorrect. Thanks megaplayboy

That'd certainly nix any committee work, and that's where most of the congressional action happens. I wonder if there's a mechanism for Congresspeople to vote when they can't be in the room?

But if he actually has to do time, Congress will just remove him. His state is Red, so his appointed replacement will be too, and that's good enough for Congress.

Members of the House are never appointed. They must be elected. Senators can be appointed, though.

I are not a subscriber. Can you summarize? :D

Sorry it took so long to get back to this.  Here's another article on the same subject.  In essence, GOP collusion with the Russians does not appear to be confined to the White House.  I'm beginning to wonder just how much of the Republican Party has been compromised.

As the CIA agent noted, this is the sort of thing the US government has done all the time in foreign countries. One of the justifications for the 1989 failed coup attempt that brought about the end of the Soviet era in Russia was reports of CIA interference in Russian politics (even within the Communist Party itself). Of course, that did not end well for the Communists, who saw their power obliterated. Vladimir Putin, then a high-ranking KGB officer, remembers this all too well.

That it's happening to us (in America) shouldn't be all that surprising in that context. The question is how there can be a credible response with the GOP so deep in Putin's back pocket. It's like a police detective assigned to solve a murder that he himself committed. You're not going to get an accurate picture of what happened, and the detective will do everything possible to deflect attention away from himself.

Being pro-Russia is one thing, but being pro-spam is worthy of an entirely new circle of hell.

How is an unwanted robocall taking up space you need for actual calls "non-intrusive"? Do they also want to outlaw "Do Not Call" registries? Or make presidential tweets mandatory content for every device in the country?

How is an unwanted robocall taking up space you need for actual calls "non-intrusive"? Do they also want to outlaw "Do Not Call" registries? Or make presidential tweets mandatory content for every device in the country?

The argument the RNC is making for non-intrusiveness is that the phone doesn't ring, so the call isn't interrupting dinner, say.  A test that ignores personal preferences (do not call lists), or costs to the user - some plans or carriers still charge for accessing  voice mail.  If they could, I'm sure both parties would exempt their various offices from any do not call lists.

Two dead, one wounded while defending innocent woman from right-wing white guy.

Damn, this really hits close to home. I go to school in Portland. I ride those same commuter trains. I'm writing this post AT my school in Portland, to which I rode the trains today and from which I will ride them when I leave. I oppose racism and bullying.

That could have been me, if I've got the courage to stand up for someone like they did.

Maybe it's time to get my concealed carry permit . . .

Two dead, one wounded while defending innocent woman from right-wing white guy.

Damn, this really hits close to home. I go to school in Portland. I ride those same commuter trains. I'm writing this post AT my school in Portland, to which I rode the trains today and from which I will ride them when I leave. I oppose racism and bullying.

That could have been me, if I've got the courage to stand up for someone like they did.

Maybe it's time to get my concealed carry permit . . .

If Oregon's carry laws are anything like Ohio's, I wouldn't.

The legal twistings involved on 'when' it's legal to use lethal force in self-defense can be almost more paralyzing that actual fear.

More practically, from what I'm reading into the situation, a solid background in unarmed self-defense would probably been more useful.  A knife in close quarters is an ugly scenario.  In a moving, small, crowded space, random bullets flying about are real low on my desired additions to the situation.

(disclosures: I have a concealed carry permit, though I rarely carry outside of work related situations.  Also, despite being grossly out of practice in the fancier techniques, I spent enough years practicing martial arts to be fairly confident in my grasp of the basics in an immediate stress situation)