Jump to content
Simon

Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Recommended Posts

In most cases that would require a change to a country's constitution. Never a simple matter. And in some ways the new generation of royals has reinvigorated interest in and sympathy for the British ;) monarchy; so even with Elizabeth gone, enough public support for a change to motivate politicians isn't a foregone conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a thought last night about Trump's comments on the California fires.

 

It struck me...why???  Why is he blasting away so hard about fires?  Doesn't feel like it's anywhere near any of his buttons.  It's not personal, either;  no one's blaming him at all, far as I know.  But he still comes out with another Palinesque rabid-dog threat.

 

So one has to ask...what's going on?  My best thought is, he'll jump on any excuse to slash anything that interferes with his potential ability to exploit...so land use and environment are prime targets.  It's not in the philosophical interest of smaller government, but that these block him from doing what he wants, and we know that IS a big button with him.

 

And that's who runs the country.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I had a thought last night about Trump's comments on the California fires.

 

It struck me...why???  Why is he blasting away so hard about fires?  Doesn't feel like it's anywhere near any of his buttons.  It's not personal, either;  no one's blaming him at all, far as I know.  But he still comes out with another Palinesque rabid-dog threat.

 

So one has to ask...what's going on?  My best thought is, he'll jump on any excuse to slash anything that interferes with his potential ability to exploit...so land use and environment are prime targets.  It's not in the philosophical interest of smaller government, but that these block him from doing what he wants, and we know that IS a big button with him.

 

And that's who runs the country.....

 

It's California. A big, Blue state that has already thumbed his nose at the reversal of Net Neutrality and several environmental issues. And it's home to Nancy Pelosi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

 

It's California. A big, Blue state that has already thumbed his nose at the reversal of Net Neutrality and several environmental issues. And it's home to Nancy Pelosi.

 

 

Makes sense too.  

 

Any interpretation leads to the implication that he's unstable, at best.  So scary...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they nailed that part of the origin story.  And everything else, pretty much.  The story they made was a lot more sensible than the classic comics part, with the uber-frail Ancient One as a DNPC.  

 

I suppose Hannibal Lechter would be another....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics/trump-cabinet-staff-turnover/index.html

 

So Melania gets a major policy shaper canned?  Wow.

 

And 2 more, major people...chief of staff, head of homeland security...are apparently soon to get the boot?

Double wow.

Combine that with the story wcw cited and I get an image of a cornered, angry, frightened rat thrashing and biting at everything.  With really bad hair and worse tanning bed marks.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GM Joe said:

I'm sure it's hard to be happy when the fun parts are over, and all that's left is doing the job.

 

 

 

Has he ever done the job?

 

Another round of despotism.  Trump claims basically an unfettered right to limit WH press passes.  On one level, that makes sense, but it's such a blatant challenge to freedom of the press that it can't be tolerated without qualifiers.  Yes, the White House can ban someone for cause...overly disruptive, PROVABLE factual distortion (unlike Trumpian factual distortion), stuff like that.  But never simply because they're perceived as Not On Your Side.

Even the legal analyst at Fox is saying CNN is very likely to win this case quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics/trump-cabinet-staff-turnover/index.html

 

So Melania gets a major policy shaper canned?  Wow.

 

And 2 more, major people...chief of staff, head of homeland security...are apparently soon to get the boot?

Double wow.

Combine that with the story wcw cited and I get an image of a cornered, angry, frightened rat thrashing and biting at everything.  With really bad hair and worse tanning bed marks.....

 

The Economist suggested that Trump's frequent staff shake-ups come from his experience as star of The Apprentice. Lots of twists and turnover to keep viewers interested.

 

So he runs his administration like a TV show. The horrible thing is, this possibly shows deep insight into American culture and character.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally: When you find current events too depressing (or infuriating), I recommend you take a break with Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress. Humanity actually has made life much better than it used to be, by methods that we can continue using to make life better still. And it's not just in the developed world: The rest of the world is catching up fast, from increasing life expectancy to declining bigotry.

 

There's also plenty to offend people on both the left and the right. I consider that a further ground for recommendation.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

The Economist suggested that Trump's frequent staff shake-ups come from his experience as star of The Apprentice. Lots of twists and turnover to keep viewers interested.

 

So he runs his administration like a TV show. The horrible thing is, this possibly shows deep insight into American culture and character.

 

Dean Shomshak

 

 

I think the premise...he runs it like a TV show...has considerable truth, but my takeaway from that would be, it's because he doesn't think the jobs in question are any more important...and that, of course, the first priority of the jobs is brown-nosing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, he hides his bias.  He wraps it up very, very tightly in the flag and calls it patriotism.  America First!  He wasn't American so who cares!

 

 

EDIT:  Sorry, my bad!!  It's Trump First, Last, and Always.  America First is how he lies to himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Especially when an unsubstantiated rumor mentioned on Fox News is enough to send Trump into righteous rage. When it suits.

 

The guy isn't even clever about hiding his bias. How can he take in so many people? :think:

"America loves a humbug."

-- P. T. Barnum

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this for Trump: he has a sharply-honed instinct for where people are exploitable. But he's so obvious about it! He talks like every snake-oil salesman I ever met. Everything he's involved with is always the biggest, the best, the greatest ever!! Everything he opposes, and everyone who criticizes him, is the worst in history!! He's long on grand promises, ludicrously short on how to make them happen. Every time someone calls him on that lack, he replies, "Trust me." If there's one thing to remember, it's to never take the word of a salesman who asks you to trust him.

 

The only way to not hear it, is to not want to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I will say this for Trump: he has a sharply-honed instinct for where people are exploitable. But he's so obvious about it! He talks like every snake-oil salesman I ever met. Everything he's involved with is always the biggest, the best, the greatest ever!! Everything he opposes, and everyone who criticizes him, is the worst in history!! He's long on grand promises, ludicrously short on how to make them happen. Every time someone calls him on that lack, he replies, "Trust me." If there's one thing to remember, it's to never take the word of a salesman who asks you to trust him.

 

The only way to not hear it, is to not want to hear it.

 

Can I get an Amen from the congregation!!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also the matter of the $100B+ in Saudi defense/weapons contracts that the President proudly declared won't be going to the Russians or the Chinese.

 

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by avarice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pariah said:

There is also the matter of the $100B+ in Saudi defense/weapons contracts that the President proudly declared won't be going to the Russians or the Chinese.

 

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by avarice.

 

Ah but Trump is all about efficiency.  Both at once!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...