Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

27 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think I heard it best expressed by Beau of the Fifth Column. Trump's supporters have turned over their critical thinking to him.

Hucksters and shysters have always been good at this; it's a necessary part of the job. Trump has simply taken it to a level not seen in this country before.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

The Electoral College votes are being cast right now.  Each state has its own schedule so they're not all done yet.  Of note, tho, PA, AZ, and GA have finished, all votes going to Biden.  That leaves only Michigan as a potential disruptor, and it wouldn't be enough by itself to shift the overall tally to Trump.

So that's one more milestone passed.  I still won't say it's absolutely, positively OVER and Trump is GONE!!! until after Biden takes the oath of office, but this should, I think, make any challenge by Trump almost impossible, and any overt action even more explicitly a coup attempt under the law.  What remains to be seen is how many, or perhaps which, Republicans acknowledge Biden's win.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-state-house-senate-closed-130833241.html

39 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Hucksters and shysters have always been good at this; it's a necessary part of the job. Trump has simply taken it to a level not seen in this country before.

I have to disagree.  The province of hucksters and shysters is to convince you of the truth of one, generally narrow, thing that any critical thought would reject..."bleach cures coronavirus" is hucksterizing.  Getting someone to replace their entire thought processes with theirs is the province of messianic cult leaders.  I'd say it also has been seen at this breadth, if not level of success:  Joe McCarthy.

19 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Just because the alligator's dead, it doesn't necessarily realize it...and its jaws and tail are still very dangerous for a while longer....

In particular, I've been monitoring a couple of conservative sites.  They are more convinced than ever that Trump will not leave office, and are willing to take up arms against the GOP(!) to ensure it.

13 minutes ago, Old Man said:

In particular, I've been monitoring a couple of conservative sites.  They are more convinced than ever that Trump will not leave office, and are willing to take up arms against the GOP(!) to ensure it.

I'm not counting myself safe until Feb 28th.

AG Barr resigns effective Dec 23.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/attorney-general-william-barr-resigns-effective-dec-23.html

20 minutes ago, Old Man said:

And the entire election-fraud farce has fracture lines running through the entire Party structure.  So Trump may yet cause the Party to collapse.

Just because the alligator's dead, it doesn't necessarily realize it...and its jaws and tail are still very dangerous for a while longer....

Stand on guard tomorrow. Celebrate tonight. Victories should be savored, especially when we know we have to move on to the next fight.

2 hours ago, archer said:

The Fox News spin on this is pretty entertaining.  Did you know that Barr's investigations turned up mountains of damning evidence proving Hunter Biden's corrupt dealings in Ukraine and China?  I didn't.

24 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Apparently, neither did Barr. :rolleyes:

On the contrary, he was a Biden Deep State mole the entire time!  That's why he buried the investigations and sabotaged the elections.  Now that he's gone Trump is sure to reveal the truth!

Also, early voting in the Georgia special elections begins today.

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

California is probably relishing the role of drama queen of the electoral college.  All states except CA, HI, and OR are finished, with the current count at 240-232.  So HI and OR can't decide it...it's all Cali.  How very Hollywood. :)

I know a certain wargaming discussion board where many of the members hate California with a passion. If those guys hated California before, they probably hate us even more now, if that's possible. Small wonder I left that place.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Did you know that Barr's investigations turned up mountains of damning evidence proving Hunter Biden's corrupt dealings in Ukraine and China?  

Well, falsifying evidence and/or lying under oath is a serious sin, so...yes, I can believe they found mountains of damning evidence.

Well, it is official now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/politics/mitch-mcconnell-congratulates-joe-biden/index.html

It may be quite amusing to check on how this goes over, but it could also lead to nothing.

I wouldn't expect it to alter Trump's plans. Other than putting McConnell on his enemies list, I mean.

But honestly, McConnell's been on my enemies list for over ten years, so enemies lists are maybe over-rated?

25 minutes ago, archer said:

I wouldn't expect it to alter Trump's plans. Other than putting McConnell on his enemies list, I mean.

But honestly, McConnell's been on my enemies list for over ten years, so enemies lists are maybe over-rated?

But that's what might be amusing.  Will Trump turn on yet another of his most stalwart allies?  McConnell made sure there was no substantive impeachment hearing in the Senate;  he made sure to ram a third SC justice.  If Trump's been Prince John, McConnell's been the Sheriff of Nottingham.  Mind, I don't disagree that Trump may well react that way.

Upside to McConnell's statement:  it makes the AGs and Congressmen who signed onto that vacuous lawsuit look that much worse.  It should also put a dampener on any shenanigans in Congress after the new year, and seating the new Congress.  Will it stop the push that the election was stolen?  Nope.  It won't slow down.  All ya gotta do is turn the argument a bit...well, damn, we lost.  But see?  We have to change the laws to protect the integrity of the process!!  We have to coordinate so this Can Never Happen Again!!!  Kick off the 2024 campaign, and start a major Retake Congress! movement for 2022.  KEEP THOSE DOLLARS ROLLING IN, FOLKS!!!!

This does put Republican lawmakers on the hot seat, though. Many have been avoiding saying whether or not they accept that Joe Biden won the election, but now they have to choose a side. Do they publicly align with McConnell and risk enraging Trump and his base of support, which includes many of their voters? Or do they stay loyal to Trump, lose the favor of the czar of their party, and leave themselves open to both public ridicule and accusations of sedition?