Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

55 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Pure, unadulterated attempts at CYA.  Given the extended period of time they pushed these claims...what, 5 solid weeks...I think this means squat in terms of mitigating their libel.

Particularly since there are recordings of every time they did it. MAGA cultists may ignore them, but a court of law won't.

Another aspect of these retractions is it shows how seriously the lawsuit threat is taken by the networks' legal departments and boardrooms.

EDIT:  Old Man, I strongly disagree.  You're being extremely unfair to the Justices.  Mind, I'm no fan of this Court, but this doesn't have federal vs. state powers, or presidential authority, or Constitutional literalism aspects.  Heck, the Court's already dismissed a few of the voting cases already.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

I dunno, if the court of law is this SCOTUS, it might.

I do think the composition of this post-Trump SCOTUS is worrisome, but it's already essentially told Trump to take his lawsuits and take a flying leap. Whatever the justices may be loyal to besides the law, the Donald isn't one of them

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

It’s not that politicians are getting vaccinated early. It’s that politicians who spent all year downplaying the danger from the virus and calling it a Democrat hoax are getting vaccinated early. 

What would be even more meretricious would be Hannity, Carlson, et al. push to jump the line.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

It’s not that politicians are getting vaccinated early. It’s that politicians who spent all year downplaying the danger from the virus and calling it a Democrat hoax are getting vaccinated early. 

While I also find that very hypocritical of them, I would say that if they are getting the vaccine very publicly, it may help get their followers to agree to get vaccinated as well.  I'd rather have a vast majority of the population vaccinated and bring this damned thing to a close, than have half the people refuse to get vaccinated and keep dragging this pandemic out forever.

5 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

If I were Hannity, Carlson, or others of their ilk I'd be worried that an angry nurse who's had to watch hundreds of Covid patients die unnecessarily thanks to my misinformation might have something in that hypo other than Pfizer's or Moderna's vaccine.

Assuming any degree of “smarts”, I’d be more concerned that someone who didn’t like me was about to stick me with something sharp - and I’d given them permission. 

Breaking down the $900B stimulus package and $1.4T omnibus bill

While it would certainly be nicer if there was more direct money to Americans, 'most' of it looks pretty reasonable to me.  It's my guess that Trump's REAL problem with the bill is this:

Personnel office stays independent
The legislation blocks the Trump administration’s plan to merge most of the functions of the Office of Personnel Management into the General Services Administration, a proposal decried by unions representing federal workers.

There may be several provisions like that, which he doesn't much like.  But to me, the root of it is, Trump is the ultimate troll.  He loves to cause chaos;  he feels empowered because, gee, look how many people have to react to his impulses?  That's Power, Baby!!  The only way to avoid that is give him everything he wants...like a second term.  And damn the consequences.  He doesn't care if the government shuts down.  He might care that the economy collapses...but he probably doesn't think it will.  The stock market's still up, up, up, baby, see?  We're doing a great job!!  Conversely, you can argue that he doesn't care if the economy tanks because he wants Biden to have as large a mess to clean up as possible.  

Picking the "let's up the direct payment to $2000" also feels like retaliation against McConnell, who doesn't want that, and really the rest of the Congressional Republicans.