A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I finally know why so many of my GMs would get so frustrated over the reluctant players I always seemed stuck with; the ones who just didn't want to go along with your plot arc.

I'm JUST about to wrap up my stint GMing Josh's PbP, and I'm having them go out with a bang, by ousting a VERY corrupt section of the Guard.

Only two players dug in their heels. "Well, why can't we just jail them? Or put them before a judge?"

"Because," the other players and the NPCs reply between gritted teeth, "They were doing this stuff with the old, ousted Baron's blessing, so they didn't do anything illegal, just lots of evil stuff."

"Well, do we have to KILL them?"

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

On a happier note, I only need 265 more rep before I'm at 69 rep power . . .

A friend forwarded me this article - http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/national/02life.web.html?ex=1128830400&en=7861e561111bd4f6&ei=5070&emc=eta1

It's weird. It's like they're making the news story about "can you believe life sentenced people are ACTUALLY SERVING LIFE SENTENCES?"

Now, there's a legit story to the #s of people in jail and there's a legit story as to whether life sentences are being deserved, but if life is an alternative to capital punishment or even if not but still an end in its own right, what's the implied outrage about? That's a good betrayal of the tone of the paper.

Well, we've finally gone and done it. Ameliana's ex has bought a race car - I'm signed on as mechanic (I admit its an unconventional situation - the game isn't worth playing by the rules, so we changed them). Linux coders, shade tree mechanics, and stock car fans collide at

http://www.tuxracing.com

more to come.

AWWWWWWWWW! :o

My rep jumped by quite a bit last night. My last several rep comments:

Josh loves you

The Squirrel loves you!

From Josh, your humble and obedient Squirrel.

Josh loves you

Enforcer84 I have it on good authority that Josh digs you, sister!

That is the silliest and sweetest thing I have EVER seen.

Thanks, guys! ^ v ^

All you have to do is let the Survivor programs show some of the participants in suitably-edited-for-prime-time-TV sex scenes with each other, and you get a low-budget version of the same damned boring soap operas I've hated for over forty years, except that you spend less on costumes and more on mosquito repellent for the camera crew.

The depression's getting deep again, and will likely hit a high point somewhere around mid-November.

Yet, despite that, it's amazing how much of a lifting of spirit can be provided by having a sudden "lightbulb" moment when trying to help someone else create a game construct they asked about.

RPGs: Good for more than just gathering socially-maladjusted friends into a dimly-lit basement...

I booted someone off my LJ friends list today. We were arguing about whether the review of Serenity I'd linked was a bad review or not. She hadn't seen the movie and didn't intend to, and said it was fine. I said the reviewer was clearly biased, and wrote his review horribly, therefore. Eventually, I told her that her presumptions that I 'hated' the reviewer for writing a bad review were getting under my skin, and she replied, 'Well. Can't have that now, can we?' So I deleted her comments, banned her from replying and deleted her from my friends list.

I'll probably change my mind, but meanwhile, I'm still fuming.

Isn't it stupid what we get mad about?

I'm just glad I didn't say anything I'll regret.

Bunny abuse, via News of the Weird:

Creme de la Weird

Brendan Francis McMahon, 36, a partner in a financial planning and mortgage brokerage in Sydney, Australia, was arrested in August for having sex with one pet rabbit and abusing others and was jailed without bail because the magistrate thought he posed a danger to animals in the community. McMahon was due back in court on Sept. 30, and police said they may charge him with more bestiality at that time. (McMahon's lawyer blamed a methamphetamine habit for any trouble he may be in.) [sydney Morning Herald, 8-19-05]

Note to self: no matter how sure you are that the amount of Splenda left in the package is "pretty close" to the amount you'd put in a cup of coffee, and it'd be a hassle to try and use a spoon to dig it out, do not simply empty the bag into the cup...there's more left in there than you'd have believed...