A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

When you do introduce discretionary grading by committee, a narrow range like that gives every member of the committee a veto. Which is how you spell "nepotism." Not that there's anything like that in medicine.

Gee, wonder how my nephew did on the MCAT. (Son, nephew, grandson and great-great grandson of doctors; we don't talk about his missionary great-grandfather, who let the side down by wasting his time with the liberal arts at Cambridge. What a maroon.)

I didn't want to start a thread for this, but I just walked in the door to be told by my wife that one of the victims of today's Har Nof terrorist attack, was the brother of a friend of ours who also prays in that synagogue -- but wasn't there because he's less religious than he once was. Baruch dayan haemet. Blessed be the True Judge -- because I can't speak to it.

"This new medication may cause nausea," she said.

"Ok," I said.

I didn't realize she meant immediately.

"It will go away after three to four days," she said.

It's day one, I may be dead by day four.

"It will also help you lose weight," she said.

Yeah, not being able to eat will do that.

As the kids say, "Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt." It's not a diet plan I want try again.

At least I haven't actually thrown up, yet.

Watching mystery shows from around the world, I notice a lot of the protagonists have backgrounds not in law enforcement. Not counting police (including retired cops) and private investigators, we have priests, writers, journalists, students, industrial cleaners, and even an oenologist!

Have I left anything out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went with my daughter this afternoon as she went Christmas shopping with a very low budget. First stop was a drug store. For no good reason, we went through the bin of "final markdown" junk. There I found the Ultimate Tasteless Awful Thing to gift-wrap and contribute to a low-budget anonymous random gift exchange circle. Those of you writing fiction with an over-the-top slimeball character, this is for you, if you need new levels of badness.

Marked down to $2.99 (and make sure to leave that pricetag on the box)....

This is really, really tasteless. Save yourself the brain bleach and don't.

A store-brand DNA Paternity Test collection kit.

POST # 20,000!!!!  :celebrate   :cheers:   :rockon:

Here's a retrospective of some of the things I've done on the HERO Boards:

* Announcing my promotion to 2nd Dan black belt in Tae Kwon Do

* Starting a thread about my hard science fiction campaign

* Posting my rules for Highlander HERO

* Sharing photos of my Zeppelin ride

* Speculating about the love child of Seven-of-Nine and Jar Jar Binks (sorry about that one!)