A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

The weather turned in Vancouver on Monday. Sprinkles and clouds have gradually given way to a gentle summer rain today, with a slight breeze. Fall has come to call, letting us know that it is going to move into the neighbourhood next month.

It's a workday, as much as it can be in high summer, when vacation competes with work to empty neighbourhoods like this. It is quiet, except for a man working on his truck in the alley across from my window. He's playing weird old '70s music into the wet air. (Convoy, anyone?) I need to get to work, but I expect that it will be like this at work --still, expectant, the air full of anticipatory rain of autumn/ I just wonder if it will continue tomorrow, on my day off.  

I am coming to the conclusion that students these days (and perhaps the majority of the population in general) do not understand what a paradox is, and thereby cannot learn from it when confronted by one. I say "these days" because I have direct experience only for the last twenty years; I have no idea if the students of the mid-20th Century were any different.

Inevitably, but very quickly, they seize some irrelevancy that they use as an excuse to avoid thinking about the situation. Furthermore, I expect they resent strongly being fed such a thing where there is no easy answer, and reject the question entirely as irrelevant, a trick of no consequence, or an artificial trap intended only to make them stumble, where the presenter has intentionally withheld important information that provides the simple answer they desperately want to believe must exist.

Nevertheless, students do better with them than media talking heads or elected officials.

One thing I've noticed while watching tennis matches on TV is that several people, even in the front row, don't seem to be paying attention to the match. They're texting on their phones, reading magazines, etc. Keep in mind tickets to watch a live match aren't cheap even for minor tournaments. So why pay a lot of cash to attend an event, then not pay attention to it?

Random musings...

1.Speaking of musings, I'd pay good money to get my muse back. I haven't been able to truly get any real writing done in what feels like a long time. I've always had trouble with wrapping the end of a story up, but for the last few months, even getting started is a chore.

2. My politics are so out of sync with (as far as I can tell) most of my fellow Tennesseans it's getting scary. I can't afford to move, and I don't want to, but it is depressing as hell to find out I'm probably going to be in a state that will be zigging every time I want to zag for at least another generation.

3. The news from Missouri has alarmed the hell out of me but at the same time, I'm not surprised. I've always had some anti-authoritian aspects to my personality, and cops rolling around in military grade vehicles does not help. Part of me wants to start a rant thread on the whole thing, but I fear it would just turn into a flame war, and besides, what good will it do? Don't get me wrong, I've got little liking for selfish jerks who loot while others are trying to protest and I AM trying to keep an open mind until I get all sides of the story, but I really don't have faith in 'the system' anymore.

4. Comic books have been too damn expensive for awhile, and they're getting more so. I like our local comic book shop vendor and would hate to quit on him. I'd also hate to lose track of characters I love....so I guess I need to either toughen up or pay up :(

There is a song out called Iron Sky by Paolo Nutini and it contains this speech.

'To those who can hear me, I say, do not despair.
The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed,
the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress.
The hate of men will pass, and dictators die,
and the power they took from the people will return to the people.
And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.
Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men –
machine men with machine minds and machine hearts!
You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men!
You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful,
to make this life a wonderful adventure
Let us use that power!
Let us all unite!
'

I knew that it had to come from somewhere and I traced it to The Great Dictator. I find it surprising that someone is using something that is about 75 years old in a modern pop song.

I'm looking for a children's book I had when I was a kid. I can't remember the title, and I'm sure it's long out of print.

The story is about a little boy who goes to heaven and becomes an angel. He has a star pinned to his shirt, and it lets him fly. He has a great time until he remembers his mother. He is able to see her on earth, and she's miserable. He goes down to visit her, and she wants him to stay. He agrees, but he will only be an ordinary boy, and the star on his shirt is about to fly away. The mother decides to give him up so he can remain an angel.

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, but it was actually a good story.

Has anyone else heard of this one?

I'm looking for a children's book I had when I was a kid. I can't remember the title, and I'm sure it's long out of print.

The story is about a little boy who goes to heaven and becomes an angel. He has a star pinned to his shirt, and it lets him fly. He has a great time until he remembers his mother. He is able to see her on earth, and she's miserable. He goes down to visit her, and she wants him to stay. He agrees, but he will only be an ordinary boy, and the star on his shirt is about to fly away. The mother decides to give him up so he can remain an angel.

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, but it was actually a good story.

Has anyone else heard of this one?

Doesn't ring any bells, but this site might be of some use:  http://www.loganberrybooks.com.

I did a little searching there based on your post and didn't come up with anything helpful, but if you go to http://www.loganberrybooks.com/stumpthebookseller, there's a way to submit requests to them for help (costs $4).

So the moral of the story is, DO NOT TAKE PICTURES OF YOURSELF NAKED.

Rules for Taking Naked Pictures of Yourself:

1) Don't take naked pictures of yourself.

2) If you decide to break Rule 1, don't show the pictures to anyone.

3) If you decide to break rules 1 and 2, don't put the pictures on a computer that is connected to the Internet.

4) Your smartphone is a computer that is connected to the Internet.

5) The Cloud is somebody else's computer that is connected to the Internet, over which you have no control.

Rules for Taking Naked Pictures of Yourself:

1) Don't take naked pictures of yourself.

2) If you decide to break Rule 1, don't show the pictures to anyone.

3) If you decide to break rules 1 and 2, don't put the pictures on a computer that is connected to the Internet.

4) Your smartphone is a computer that is connected to the Internet.

5) The Cloud is somebody else's computer that is connected to the Internet, over which you have no control.

I propose a different set of rules:

1) stay wicked fit.

2) make sure they always snap your good side.