A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Oscar Pistorius has been cleared of the premeditated murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. I'm glad of this as he always came across as remorseful at what he had done and never appeared smug or that he would walk away scot free. He killed her and is suffering for it regardless of what the court, sponsors, the public or his peers do to him. 

In a bit of synchroncity at least for a British audience Donald Sinden has passed away. He did a show with Elaine Strutch called Two's Company. She died in July.

One of the Eastenders cast has also passed away.

But the big news is the daeth of Ian Paisley, a Northern Irish politician. I have nothing good to say about him so won't comment any further.

Let's say that you want to pull the journal "Aviation" out of automated storage at the libarry. This is hard. There are millions of items down there. You do a limited search for "Aviation" under serials, limit it to the storage llbrary. You pull up... "The Convention Journal," of Capetown, South Africa as top search item. "Aviation Psychology" is next ...closer, followed by the "Journal of Aviation Management," the "Monthly Aviation Accident Report," and "Vestnik." I won't go on, because I would have to list 161 items, including Canadian Aviation and Aviation's old rival, Aero Digest, (but not Aeroplane, Aircraft Engineering, or Flight, all down there in storage) before I finally get to Aviation. Their internet holdings come up higher in search priority than the physical holdings --and remember that I specifically limited the search to the library location. 

Awesome work, database guys. Have you considered just using Google? 

Well, we had elections yesterday, and doggone it if the results aren't in. To make a understatement, the parliamentarian situation is kind of interesting. No great changes in the mandates it seems, apart from the "conservative" Moderate party losing seven percent of the voters; the anti-immigrant, we-are-not-Nazis-at-all Sweden Democrats gaining almost as many; and the left-leaning feminist Initiative almost making it over the 4% line. The Left Block (politically center-left, the Greens, the Social Democrats, and the Left Party [former Communists]) got 43.7% of the votes, while the Alliance (politically center-right, the People's Party [liberal], the Center, The Moderates, and the Christian Democrats) got 39.3%.

The PM, Fredrik Reinfeld (Moderate), announced his resignation when the results came in. The Speaker of the Riksdag will give the task of forming a government to Stefan Löfvén, chairman of the Social Democrats.In all probability, he'll form a minority government with the Greens, counting on support from the Left and the center-liberals in the Center and People's Party on individual issues. He'll get the government through the Riksdag, probably, but the budget might be an entirely different kettle of fish. There exists a palpable risk/chance of a general re-election for the first time since the Seventies.

The browns in the Sweden Democrats gained a lot of seats; for me that's deeply troubling, and I am not alone in this. The other parties has vowed not to co-operate directly with them on any issues, and that's all in line with the wishes of the electorate. But as of now, they have a pivotal role in the Riksdag, being the third(!) largest party.

Politically speaking, this is certainly interesting times.

• 2 weeks later...

By 1943 the Kirishima, laid down prior to WWI, was hopelessly underarmored in terms of both thickness and metallurgy.  She had just enough armor to guarantee that armor-piercing shells would detonate, without being able to resist penetration.  So when the Washington opened up on her at close range with 16" guns, she didn't really stand a chance.  The shells easily penetrated her armored belt, some below the waterline, detonating in critical areas.  By the second salvo she was already doomed.

I've been plowing through a new web comic -- Stand Still, Stay Silent. It's a Post-Apoc story where the only remnants of civilization -- indeed the only known rest om Mankind -- is Iceland and some enclaves in the other Nordic countries. The rest of the world was either wiped out in a plague ninety years ago, or transformed into ... things. It's in English, but seems to be written by a Scandinavian. The art is downright amazing at times (check the first panel!) and the characters are believable.