A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Two recent deaths.

A British comedian called Lance Percival who played the chef in Carry on Cruising. He had a distinctive voice and face.

and film star Rod Taylor, real name Robert Taylor, who came from Australia. Robert became Rod as there was already a Robert Taylor acting. Same way Stewart Granger had changed his name. His real name was James Stewart.

Rod appeared in The Time Machine (1960) as the inventor of the machine; The Birds (as the hero); and with John Wayne in The Train Robbers

So once upon a time, there was a dairy --somewhere-- that called itself "Parmalat." Imagine guys in handlebar moustaches riding big wheel bicycles to work while "Daisy" plays over the sepia footage, because it was a long time ago, before Beatrice bought Parmalat, and Dairyland bought Beatrice, and Saputo bought Dairyland. 

For Americans, it might be helpful to remember that the Canadian business landscape is a lot like the Empire in Star Wars. Or the One Ring. Whichever kind of predatory monopoly is more sinister. Anyway, point is that Saputo now owns Everything Dairy in Canada, not so that it can make more money by being a giant monopoly, but so that it can, uhm, something something it's all good. 

Speaking of monopolies, when we were taken over, we sold our stores on Vancouver Island to a rival chain, and there were some readjustments. Specifically, they dropped the Parmalat 1 Litre Chocolate Milk by Beatrice by Dairyland by Saputo in favour of a competing product.

Last night, a customer pokes his head in the back room while I'm trying to clean up after a DM visit. (Handy store manager SOP sheet for DM visits: take everything that might upset the DM, shove in the back, go out, smile, grin and eat poo-poo for as long as it takes, go home early, kick the dog.)

Said customer says, "I live in Victoria, and I buy all your Parmalat 1L Chocolate Milk, etc, etc, every time I come over to visit my GF, because I can't get i in Victoria any more. Do you know where I can get it in Victoria, because I've tried their website and their help lilne, and their CSRs can't tell me."

Well, I can't tell him, either. But I do have a little happy feeling in my heart now, because it turns out that someone's customer service is worse than ours. A happy feeling mediated by the suspicion that it's all coming apart, but a happy feeling nonetheless.

Hello,

I thought I'd give this place a visit again, and give a summary of my 2014 year:

* Lost a 9-year coworker and friend in Feb. when he attempted to kill his ex-wife and then committed suicide.

* Lost my last uncle (and my mother's last sibling) to natural causes in March.

* Lost a friend (and good GM) to heart attack and resulting brain damage.  Alive, but very little is left.

* Lost my mother in May when my father had an episode of dementia and strangled her to death barehanded.

* Lost my father (see above).  Alive, but mentally fading, and incarcerated.

* Found out my oldest sister has lymphoma in August

* Found out my middle sister's husband has cancer in August.

* Helped my sisters clean up/out our parent's home.

I can safely say that 2014 is the worst year of my life.  I have always been an advocate for "fighting the good fight", but I think I'm beginning to comprehend what can drive a person to do something... rash.

On the upside, I've found that I have a fairly good ability to hold my liquor.

I hope other's fared better.

i) Call us to the office for a confidential talk, and then make me sit and watch while you tear a strip off my co-worker for his work ethic, with specific examples, and even demands for explanations while I squirm.

ii) Get rid of a new cashier with bad attendance and a tendency to vanish from the checkstands by insulting her appearance until she "can't take it any more" and quits. And then boast about it.

What the heck? You act like a nice guy, you seem like a nice guy. Are you just oblivious, or do I have to adjust my personal sociopath detection checklist?