A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you (ok, three tops) may have been wondering what's going on with my name. If you're not one of them, this is going to get boring. You can skip ahead. If you are one of them, this is going to get boring.

My real name is Logan. With recent events in my life, I'm finding that I have a very strong urge to simplify things in my life, trim the odd edges. I always wanted a cool nickname. I believe it was part of the reason I used to like GI Joe, all the cool code names. I never got one, though. I always liked the name Logan, though, so not a big deal. Friends would call me Logey, mostly, or Logarino, Logster, or even Logurt upon occasion, but none of those really counted. Log was the closest I had, and it was mostly accidental.

Then along comes the internet and I can have any nickname I want. I tried a variety of cool sounding (I thought) words or combos: Hermes, DeadPumpkin, Madstone, etc., but nothing stuck. None of them were really me. I was trying way too hard. I thought about just using Logan online, but that was ruled out almost Immediately because, unlike my real life, Logan was not uncommon on the net. I could have been Logan<random number> but I hated that idea. So after a time, I adopted the identity of Log here. Stupid as it sounds, I never really liked the single syllable aspect, especially with the short ŏ rather than the long ō. Wow, that sounds really pathetic as I read it. So, I evolved to Log-Man for a couple reasons. First, it had a superhero feel and seemed right for a site that had such a heavy superhero theme. Second, it was actually fairly unique, so I could use it other places and maintain a singular identity.

Here's where that all falls apart. When I got the name, Ren & Stimpy was very big so people were generally amused. Today's crowd doesn't know Log, though, and in other places I get called everything from a big d*ck to a piece of sh*t because people think they're being clever. Let's be honest, that's what a log is to most people, and that sucks for me. So it's time for another change. Thing is, I like the single ID I can use in multiple places. I needed to come up with something unique again. And it's somehow got to say "me." (I don't want to use my real last name for a few personal reasons.) I wish I could just use Logan, but we're back to the original problem. So I added a seemingly random number to the end. Ironic, huh? Why is it ok now? I noticed that it's still used very often. So much, in fact, that it's pretty much invisible. I never read or say the numbers after one's name anymore, I just skim on by. And I have a feeling I'm not the only one that does that. So here I am as Logan, the 8th one or so on the Hero forums. Or the 1179th, take your pick.

I consider you deviants my friends, so you can still call me Log, or any other well meaning variation. And of course Lord High Commissioner, as appropriate. Thank you for your patience.

tl;dr...I'm having a semi-existential crisis. 

A couple of months ago, news came out that they are going to pull down the dorm I lived in for three years, starting forty years ago this September. Winter quarters being my enormous load term, I had to wait until today to go back and retake pictures of the environs taken while I lived there but were lost when my subsequent dwelling burned in 1983. Dorm life seems like a silly thing to wax nostalgic for, but three years was as long as I had lived anywhere at a stretch at that time.

Weather was warm and sunny, so I took lots, even of places and pathways that are outwardly nondescript but where various memorable events occurred, like lofting water balloons with a three-man slingshot at random targets late at night. Things have changed, of course, as big campuses are wont to do. But most of the old familiar paths were still there, except for the one I most wanted, that went back forty years in time.

I finally got around to reading the first five issues of All-New Captain America (nee Falcon).  They alternate back and forth between completely unrelated story arcs!  How the f_k am I supposed to keep track of comics when stories are split across multiple titles and titles are split across multiple stories?!  If I'd read these one at a time I'd have been hopelessly confused.  Instead I'm just confused and annoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it take to run a grocery store?

-A Manager: check. Good old guy, but that line about how "this is the last Christmas I'm going to spend at work?" That might be a gentle hint that he's retiring soon. 

-An Assistant Manager. Non-union, with a "ten hour commitment." That is, he's supposed to be in the store for ten hours a day. Perhaps he even is --but the last shift I worked with him, he spent three hours in the store (working with night crew, not during open hours). Highlight: he fell off a ladder while trying to stock shelves. Since then, he's been off for ten days of vacation. When he called the store on Thursday to intimate that he might need an extra few days for familly emergency related reasons, the boss was all, like, "Sure, whatever. Take all the time you need. I'm here alone, and....Wait, the next part is the quiet part that I only say in my head."

-A First Assistant, union man. Who was just off for three weeks on sick leave, came back for five days of work, and is now off for three weeks of vacation. Uhm, hi?

-A Management Trainee, the next generation of retail management. He's just back from his latest annual progress review, in which he and the other three MTs for the District's twelve stores were called to account. (No, it's not just your math. Four is less than twelve. Management Trainees aren't exactly thick on the ground, any more.) 

So, anyway, you may be wondering about the whole "multiple annual progress reviews." Considering just how rigorous retail middle management actually is, I think that the cynic might suggest that the second annual performance review really ought to consist of the District Manager growling: "Are you wasting our time or yours?" That, it turns out, is correct. He is going to be moving on to a position in the company more suited to his capabilities. No more Management Trainee.

--Me.

So. Looking a little thin at the top. Trouble? Not a bit of it! Soon as young B_ graduates high school in June, he can be an assistant manager! Why, the year after that, the occupational safety guys will think that he's old enough to operate a garbage compactor on his own!

post-7262-0-41015800-1428800075_thumb.gif

"I don't need to vaccinate, because of herd immunity."

"Do you understand the mathematics of herd immunity?"

<Taken slightly aback, as most fuzz-brains are by direct invocation of mathematics> "I don't need to understand the math. It just works."

<Shift to Grim Reaper mode: Face expressionless, intense stare at target.> "The way to become a statistic is to fail to understand the mathematics."

• 2 weeks later...

The 100th anniversary of The Gallipoli campaign has just been celebrated. I thought our Australian correspondants would have said something.

Two British athletes who have had outstanding careers have just retired. Paula Radcliffe, the long distance runner, and A.P. McCoy who won the Champion Jockey every year from 1995/6 to date. we wish them well in retirement.