A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

The election is on today so whether the sinking of the Lusitania gets referenced by the media towards any of the parties is anyone's guess. And yes The Tribble, This Tribble, has voted.

The big build up is towards the 70th anniversay of VE day which is odd since it did not get that much reference in years gone by unlike the 40th and 50th anniversay of D-Day or example.

My local MP lost out in the election. However the Conservatives now have a majority and can do more or less as they please. Sadly I see this all being a repeat of John Major's government in 1992 to 1997. The Labour party was all but wiped out in Scotland but the Conservatives had nobody there so they can safely ignore what the SNP (Scottish National Party) wants to do. There won't be another referendum on Scottish Independence  until the next governement which is 5 plus years away. IF Labour had gotten in, then maybe the SNP could have done something. As it is they can ignored for good or ill. It will then have to be seen whether they can hold onto the 56 seats they won up from 6 previously. I doubt it. I see them losing half of them back to Labour and the Liberals. You will pardon me if I feel the future is gloomy for a while.

This is the day that Nature has made. Rejoice and be glad in it! Please open your copy of The Singularity is Near to page 211.

My friends! You will have heard careless talk in recent days, that r>g. Perhaps it is neighbours, or friends, or even family who have been seduced by the idea that since profits are growing faster than the economy, wealth must accumulate in the hands of the few, while the incomes and living standards of the vast majority remain static or decline. You will have heard that your horizons are diminished, that your children will not rise to the same socioeconomic station as you, that your retirement will be impoverished, that your healthcare is endangered.

I come before you to say, not that this is untrue, but, more happily, that it is irrelevant!

Understand that we live in an age of ever-more powerful computers, in which the predominant business model is online, and depends on predictive algorithms. Companies such as Amazon, Google, Netflix, Facebook and Twitter, and public organisations such as the NSA look to a future in which they can perfectly predict every thought you have, before you have it. 

Understand what this means. That it is in everyone's interest that there exists, someday, an AI that thinks exactly as you think. An AI that is you, but freed of the dross of  material life, immortal, residing in the cloud. 

Understand that through the beneficience of the invisible hand of the Market, which is also Nature, as I might prove mathematically, that you will live forever in the cloud. Blessed is the Market, which is Nature!

Understand that your immortal life will be a life of happiness eternal, in union with the Market and with Nature. What fear, then, the toils and travails of this fleshly life, for this soon must pass, and you will be admitted into the paradise eternal.

Unless, that is, the predictive powers of Science reveal your secret sin of terrorism against the Market, of action or of thought, through the power of metadata. For then beware, sinner, for your profile will be downloaded into the sequestered computers of the National Security Agency, confined, to be tested and experimented upon for all eternity! Let the sinner whose mind is fixed on the injustices of this world, beware Science. Indeed, all the sufferings of this world are but detours  on the path to the eternal life of the cloud, detours that lead us to an eternity in a little computer in the basement of the White House. 

Sin not, therefore, in action or in thought, so that you might be saved for a life eternal. Blessed be Nature, and the Market, and Science sitting on their right hand upon the Throne of Judgement!