Moderator Note to folks: Regarding the F word overuse

Hermit

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:39 AM, Pattern Ghost said:

Windows 10 does deliberately invasive and malicious shirt that Vista never dared aspire to. But I don't want to derail the thread away from the F-word.

giphy.gif

Yeah, no disagreeing it has problems. But, with 6 weeks of Vista, I never did figure out how to get on the internet without creating a completely new route each time. 

So, from my perspective both are words I cant type, but  Windows 10 allows me to actually use my own computer......most of the time.

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

So, from my perspective both are words I cant type, but  Windows 10 allows me to actually use my own computer......most of the time.

I never had any trouble with Vista. I skipped over it for my own use, and never had to support it at work. The times I had to do family tech support on Vista machines, I had no issues.

Now, Windows 10 is another matter. It's mostly fine, really. Until it insists on updating. I skipped the earlier features updates because they wouldn't install on my machine and I didn't want them anyway. Until Microsoft decided to protect me against the Specter and Meltdown issues. In order to do this, I HAD to update to the latest features update. I delayed it, but that only works for so long. Then it reaches a point that the update messages pop up every ten minutes. Then it reaches a point where it tries to install and reboot on you during your working hours (the hours you set to not be annoyed by updates). They also disabled the tool they put out for IT people to ignore bad updates. (And I tried this update. Like the last one, it was also bad and wouldn't install. I spent a day reading through semi-literate posts on the MS site trying useless "fixes" that were incomplete or gibberish to start with before deciding to attempt to block it.) They ALSO disabled the Group Policy settings to delay updates (they also cut the length of delay in half so it falls under seven months, meaning you can't effectively skip updates this way). So, they JAMMED THIS UPDATE THAT ISN'T COMPITBLE WITH MY OLDER HARDWARE DOWN MY THROAT. After doing a LOT of research, and experimentation, I was able to get the FORKER to install on my machine. THEN, I had to go through and clean out their junkware, their ads and all of the intrusive garbage that I'd already done on my initial upgrade to 10, PLUS the new ones added in the current update. This was a MASSIVE PITA, and I've been supporting their OS for over 20  years.

SO . . .

That's my Windows 10 story. This week anyway.

Probably pales in comparison with your Vista problems, though. ;)

• Hermit unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I find it amusing that, for a time, the f-word thread somehow became the Windows 10 thread.

Now where is the fail thread?

Is that where we talk about Apple products?

Of note, Siri pretends to not understand when I swear at it (which is often).

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

I thought it had been a reminder and folks would remember on their own.

Of course, what happened is that when it went down someone fluttershyed again.

*sigh*

And my faith in humanity was destroyed...again.

It's adorable that you have faith in humanity.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

I find it amusing that, for a time, the f-word thread somehow became the Windows 10 thread.

Sorry, that's what happens when someone tries to convince me that Windows 10 isn't so bad. :P

Of course, I had to clean malware off my father-in-law's Windows 8 machine today. Makes me appreciate 10 a little more.

On the other hand, it had been rolled back to 8 from 10 because 10 couldn't handle the express cache thing it had going on. (A small SSD only used as a cache,  using the express cache scheme.) So 10 is still at fault for making me work on an 8 machine.

And my brother-in-law who didn't secure the machine when it was a fresh reinstall.

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Is that where we talk about Apple products?

Surprisingly, reinstalling the OS on a Macbook a couple weeks ago was pretty pain free.

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Of note, Siri pretends to not understand when I swear at it (which is often).

Said Macbook has Siri installed, and she won't go away. Siri's voice recognition is complete garbage (I was going to say "ass" but decided not to swear out of respect for the thread)* compared to my Android phone. I have a very deep voice that baffles most voice recognition, but my phone gets it right more than not. It only gets confused on a couple of words.

*oops