Elves vs MCU villains

Bazza

Middle Earth vs Marvel  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Elrond, Thranduil, & Galadriel
    • Red Skull, Ronan, & Hela.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Ronan is kind of a wild card, he trashed people like the Avengers and Fantastic Four pretty easily in the past.  I'm assuming everyone is fully powered up and he has his hammer, of course.

Yes. However this Ronan is from MCU not the comics. 

Yes. However this Ronan is from MCU not the comics. 

Well true, but theoretically he'd be designed to be like the comic book one, and while the Guardians of the Galaxy are pretty low powered guys, they were trivial for him to defeat.  So who knows what his actual power level is, its just pretty high.

As good as Elven blades are, I doubt they would penetrate Kree battle armor.  Furthermore, it isn't stated if Ronan has the Power stone or not. It also isn't stated if the Red Skull has access to his Tesseract-powered weapons or not. I feel that both Ronan and Red Skull easily outmatch Elrond and Thranduil in terms of strength and speed, but it is difficult to judge who has the more effective fighting technique. Hela trumps them all, though, and her presence pretty much guarantees that the Marvel villains prevail.

20 hours ago, death tribble said:

Now here you have scored an own goal for one of those adored by the long term members of the board (particularly Bozimus) was Eliza Dushku. And what is she well known for ? Faith the vampire slayer who was activated by the death of Kendra in the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Which Joss Whedon created.

I liked her on The Big Bang Theory.

As good as Elven blades are, I doubt they would penetrate Kree battle armor.

My guess is somewhere between "yes" and "like butter" since they'd be equipped with the most powerful enchanted mithril weapons of their era, being kings and all.  But Hela as portrayed in the movies apparently felt no damage from attacks and could summon an infinity of flying impossible to block swords that kill everyone they hit, so she probably just wins unless a tall flaming guy shows up.

If those three Elves were ever equipped with weapons of any note, Tolkien never recorded this fact anywhere. And as a general rule he was quite fond of providing the names of noteworthy weapons, especially those wielded by great Elves and the by the kings of Westernesse. In the absence of such information, we must assume that they would be wielding fine Elven blades with no particularly special properties. But besides that, "enchanted" has a very vague meaning in Middle-Earth, and we don't know how such "enchantments" compare to the powers of Infinity stones or the abilities of alien super-tech in the MCU. However, given the relatively modest power on display during the Third Age, I would place my money on the MCU villains without reservation.

None of the MCU villains can dance or sing so that's a no brainer.  Indeed we saw Ronan lose a dance-off to a random Earthling.

I see the elves as being far more dangerous in terms of magic than in melee combat.  Galadriel learned magic from one of the Maiar, and it's implied that all three of the elven rulers employ non-trivial magic to maintain their realms.  We never see much outright combat magic from any of them, though Elrond does use it to rinse off some Nazgul at the Ford of Bruinen.

And you still can't outright discount elven weapons; even though none of the three wield any named weapons of which we are aware, we also see that random elven kitchen knives can pierce troll hide and glow blue when orcs are around.  Whatever sword Thranduil keeps under his bed is probably not just any sword.

Yeah the Silmarillion wasn't big on specifics and names, and you cannot make an argument from absence.  The idea that a king would go to war with just a plain ol' weapon instead of the godlike best weapon in their armory, particularly one as powerful as the listed ones, is ridiculous to put it mildly.

And while I know the concept that magic is separate from science and a unique force all its own is almost painful to consider for some... by definition it is.  So it acts differently than technology.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah the Silmarillion wasn't big on specifics and names, and you cannot make an argument from absence.  The idea that a king would go to war with just a plain ol' weapon instead of the godlike best weapon in their armory, particularly one as powerful as the listed ones, is ridiculous to put it mildly.

And while I know the concept that magic is separate from science and a unique force all its own is almost painful to consider for some... by definition it is.  So it acts differently than technology.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe that unless otherwise mentioned in canonical text, a king would go to war with the finest blade his culture could produce. However, nowhere is it stated that all blades made for Elf-kings are enchanted to make them superweapons compared to other Elf warblades. In fact, even Glamdring only ever evidenced the same glowing behavior that Sting did (and perhaps not surprisingly since they were both forged by the Elven smiths of Gondolin), with no other notable "enchantment". Its reputation among orckind is due to its distinct appearance and the ferocity with which Turgon fought with it, not due to undisclosed battle-magic properties.

Ultimately I don't see any "magic" in the weaponry of these particular Elves that would make the question of their nature and capabilities--compared to comic book technology--relevant here. But if there was, it would become necessary to find a common frame of reference before pitting them against each other in battle, just the way you would have to if these were all Champions characters fighting against each other.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe that unless otherwise mentioned in canonical text, a king would go to war with the finest blade his culture could produce. However, nowhere is it stated that all blades made for Elf-kings are enchanted to make them superweapons compared to other Elf warblades. In fact, even Glamdring only ever evidenced the same glowing behavior that Sting did (and perhaps not surprisingly since they were both forged by the Elven smiths of Gondolin), with no other notable "enchantment". Its reputation among orckind is due to its distinct appearance and the ferocity with which Turgon fought with it, not due to undisclosed battle-magic properties.

While the swords of elven kings may not be more enchanted than other elven blades, elven blades appear to be enchanted in general.  As I mentioned earlier, Sting was able to pierce a troll where man-made weapons could not, and had glow-in-the-dark orc detection as well.  And Sting was a pretty ordinary elven knife.  We don't know if Glamdring was vorpal or what, but it's good enough to kill a Balrog with; it's not just a hunk of sharp metal.

The Lady of Light is probably the most powerful of the six listed entities. With Nenya, she's protected against evil barring Sauron showing up on the other side so that's a pretty big advantage. 

She also has foretelling, prophecy, scrying and produces magic gear for allies on top of the aforementioned defeat of the greatest evils of her era.

I'll take any team she's on. 

Edit: First age opponent armed with the phial (lightweight Silmaril powered by the light of the one in space), and stronghold shattering magic to go with her invulnerability to evil from her Ring of Power. Galadriel could tell the other two to hold her beer.