Godzilla, King of the Monsters

The 70's was basically the era of "anything goes" and the Godzilla series...losing ground to Japanese television shows...had no choice but to try everything they could to appeal to the younger crowd in an attempt to put seats back in the theater. It sadly did not work and 1975's Terror of Mechagodzilla had the lowest attendance numbers of any Godzilla film. The series went on an uncertain hiatus that only ended after 9 years.

13 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

appeal to the younger crowd

It seems that every movie studio has to learn the same lesson--sometimes over and over again--for themselves. They all seem to think that making movies which "appeal to kids" is equivalent to making movies "just for kids", thereby turning off the rest of the potential audience. "All ages" does not mean "little kids only", but few movie executives/producers seem to grok that.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

It seems that every movie studio has to learn the same lesson--sometimes over and over again--for themselves. They all seem to think that making movies which "appeal to kids" is equivalent to making movies "just for kids", thereby turning off the rest of the potential audience. "All ages" does not mean "little kids only", but few movie executives/producers seem to grok that.

I agree, but in Japan at the time...sci fi tv shows targeting children were extremely popular so it's understandable at the time that they would go this route. We're of course analyzing from hindsight.

I remember when I encountered Godzilla 1954 as a kid, I was enthralled by the scenes of the giant monster rampaging through the human landscape, but rather put off by the tone and pace of the rest of the movie. I was in my thirties when I rediscovered the movie and could appreciate what it was trying to do, and how well it does it. The whole kaiju genre wasn't really part of my childhood -- I came to my love for it later in life. Maybe that's part of why I prefer the more serious stories to the lighthearted and silly ones.

13 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I may have to suck it up and head to a theater to watch this, even if I do have to wear a choking device the whole time. And am I the only person who thinks this movie screams for IMAX?

Personally I don't enjoy IMAX -- I don't like my theater experience to be quite so visually overwhelming. But every fan of these kaiju movies that I've heard from, in person and online, firmly proclaims that all the "monsterverse" movies must be viewed in IMAX.

However, I will definitely see this in a theater if there's one showing it within reach.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Am I the only person who gets the distinct impression that American audiences at large did not get terribly excited for these new Godzilla movies until Kong was added?

Disagree here. The hype was large and it didn't hurt that the first two Legendary movies had some of the best trailers of any movies ever.

It kind of depends on whose reaction you're sampling. In North America the idea of a technically high-quality Godzilla movie was huge for existing Godzilla fans, but they're only a small fraction of the movie-viewing public in that part of the world. Most of that public had only the sketchiest awareness of Godzilla, and what they knew they tended not to take seriously. Kong, on the other hand, is an iconic American character which many more people knew something about beforehand.

I suspect some of the excitement also comes from Godzilla being filmed in an American storytelling style. You only have to compare the monsterverse movies to the most recent Japanese entry in the franchise, Shin Gojira -- wildly successful and popular in Japan -- to see the differing expectations the two cultures have for these movies.

Is it also maybe an age thing? I mean, I grew up watching Godzilla movies as a kid. I can't imagine anyone who grew up in the 60s, 70s, or 80s America who did not know who Godzilla was or think of him as a pop culture icon regardless of his nation of origin. But maybe millennials don't have the same connection to the character that 'boomers do?

I seem to recall that trailers for the previous two Legendary Godzilla movies did not trend very high on social media, or generate the kind of media buzz WB was hoping for. I was surprised by this since this adaptation of the character is so good that I couldn't believe it didn't have a lot more people excited about it.

But then Kong gets added to the mix and all of a sudden the trailers rocket to the top of social media trend lists. I don't believe for a second that Americans in general don't have the same awareness of Godzilla that they do of Kong. I believe they are equally famous giant monsters, occupying pretty much equal mindshare and pop culture prominence, so I don't understand why one would be less subject to indifference than the other.