2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

...and the Cowboys are out.

.....and there was much rejoicing!!!!!

Now I'm rooting for the Eagles, so the NFC Least gets a 6-10 champ.  Barring a tie, the division will finish a combined 23-40-1.  NOT the worst combined record for a division ever, it turns out.  2014 NFC South...7-8-1. 7-9, 6-10....and Tampa Bay, 2-14.  And worst of the worst, 2008 NFC West, at 22-42.  Seahawks went 4-12;  Rams were 2-14.

I think you can still say this is the worst division ever, in terms of overall power rating.  Take that 2014 NFC South...figure you have 2 teams in the, say, high teens to very low 20's, a third at 25, and one at 30+.  FiveThirtyEight has Washington at 19, the other 3 at 25-27.

19 down, just inside 3 minutes...

Bears still back in.  Murray went out for the Cards after another leg problem, so the Cards' offense disappeared.  Even with a backup QB, the Rams win fairly easily.

Tennessee might be guilty of relaxing, knowing they were in when Miami lost, but they've got 1st and goal at the 1 to take the lead, inside 2 minutes...

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Nah, i want the Was/philly game to end in a tie, now. It would be appropriate to end the final Sunday that way this season.

And i want to see a team without a name make the playoffs, because, i am in the mood to see the (football) world burn.

Ohhh...OK!  I can go with that too, cuz that means a 6-9-1 team wins the division outright.  I thought that might be the case back in October.  

And that would make the appropriate pregame music next week America's Horse with No Name......

Aaaaaannnnd the kicker doinks one off the uprights BUT THROUGH!!! to win the game, giving Tenn the title.

So we have 2 divisional matchups next week;  Cleveland at Pitt is a repeat...ugh.  Not fond of those, myself.  And Rams at Seattle.

And we aren't hearing from Pariah because he's weeping and gnashing his teeth......

All right.  I am now advocating for the firing of Doug Pederson.

Don't kick a tying FG, late 3rd.  I *wrote* metrics and analytics software;  I'm well aware of the flaws.  4th and goal at the 4, I don't like the odds of scoring.  Safety is very unlikely.  Blocked punt is tough to see;  punter's not likely to be jammed back against the end zone.  

But worse...Pederson yanks Hurts for Sudfeld, for 3 straight possessions.  WHY?  Not like Hurts was doing much, but what's the point of going with Sudfeld?  As Cris Collinsworth pointed out, you have to see if Hurts has a future as your #1.  WHO CARES about the backup when THAT question's floating around?

No, it's not about who wins the East.  I don't really care that much;  I'd love the 6-10 but really, that's just my vicious streak, since the Cowboys are not in the equation.  I'm actually hoping Alex Smith can make the playoffs after coming back;  he deserves it.  (The man has a brace on his leg to help support his ankle;  it won't move properly without it (!!!!)  YEAH, that's worth acknowledging.  This is about decision making.

And...there it goes.  Eagles jump offside to HAND WFT a first down, and all but end the game.  On 4th and very short, but Smith sneaking???  Dubious.  Smith faking a snap, to try to draw them?  HECK yeah.  It was midfield so the 5 yards wouldn't mean much on the punt.  Moronic play by the Philly line.  That's been the norm for the Eagles.  And THAT says bad coaching to me.

Fire Pederson.

Edit:  if you missed the end of the game, Collinsworth said, "Al, I couldn't have done what Philadelphia did.  The players didn't deserve it."  He was talking about playing Sudfeld in a game that was absolutely up for grabs.  

LOLOLOL  Al just said "if the Eagles win this game, I'm gonna dust a call off that I haven't used in 41 years."  Unfortunately it ended in a whimper.

Fire Pederson.  

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And we aren't hearing from Pariah because he's weeping and gnashing his teeth......

Actually, I was spared the misfortune of seeing the Donkeys and the Raiders by virtue of the fact that for the third time since Thanksgiving, nobody in SLC was carrying the Broncos game. We got Cardinals/Rams in its place.

I checked the score at one point and saw that the Broncos were leading 31-24 with 2 minutes left. Surprisingly good news. Then I checked about half an hour later and saw that the Raiders had won 32-31, meaning the vaunted Broncos defense had given up a touchdown and a two-point conversion after the two minute warning. That's more like what I was expecting.

At least we have a top 10 pick in this year's draft. That's good, right?

There are a lot of Broncos fans online right now grousing about how bad the team is and how good the Browns and Bills are this year. To which I can't help but thank, the Broncos have had four Super Bowl appearances, winning three of them, since the last time the Bills won a playoff game. And the Browns? Well, to win a Super Bowl, you actually have to get to one....

We'll see what changes happened in the offseason. Every year the last few years, there's been a scapegoat. This year's figures to be our special teams coordinator, whose name I can't even remember at the moment. That's a fairly minor adjustment, but that's probably okay. The one thing this team has lacked since Super Bowl 50 is consistency. Maybe Fangio and  Shurmur and quarterback coach Mike Shula can get Drew Lock and the rest of the squad on the right trajectory this offseason. Who knows, maybe we can even have a proper training camp this year. We shall see.

The big question now: Whom should I root for in the playoffs? That I will be rooting against Tom Brady, and consequently the Buccaneers, is a given. Somebody point me towards someone to cheer for.

50 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The big question now: Whom should I root for in the playoffs? That I will be rooting against Tom Brady, and consequently the Buccaneers, is a given. Somebody point me towards someone to cheer for.

In accordance with my policy of rooting for the underdog, I personally am rooting for the Browns and Bills.  Mainly the Bills, who have endured decades of bad football after losing multiple Super Bowls.  I've watched some of their games this season and that team is really clicking now.  I don't know what got into Josh Allen.

Smart money is on the Chiefs, of course, although no team this year really seems invincible.  I feel like the Chiefs this year have been lucky to get away with some sloppiness.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

All right.  I am now advocating for the firing of Doug Pederson.

Agreed.  His playcalling is... poor.  Unfortunately I suspect the success of Jalen Hurts will "earn" him another season as HC.  Without that, Pederson's alienation of his original starting QB would probably, and rightfully, have cost him his job.

And the Chargers canned Anthony Lynn.  Looks like they think the 12-4 was the fluke.  Or he's not viewed as the Right Guy to bring along a potential star QB.

Optimism because Marrone is out?  You need a new owner first.  Since 2011, the team has a total of 44 wins...and that includes Marrone's 10-win season.  His 6 wins in 2019 are the second-best in that run.  I'm not saying Marrone was the solution, but at most he was only a fraction of the problem.  

Khan also revelaed that he had roster control in 2020 following Tom Coughlin's departure, and said he will make sure the incoming GM and coach knows he wants to be in on the conversations of personnel and contract decisions, and that he will have final say.

That's from nfl.com.  So he wants final say....sorry, dude.  You guys have no chance.

16 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Optimism because Marrone is out?  You need a new owner first.  Since 2011, the team has a total of 44 wins...and that includes Marrone's 10-win season.  His 6 wins in 2019 are the second-best in that run.  I'm not saying Marrone was the solution, but at most he was only a fraction of the problem.  

When you're stuck with $&%* ownership, what else do you have?

Hope that new voices can actually make a dent.  Marven Lewis was the definition of 'meh' as a coach (and an arrogant, condescending arsehole in press conferences), but when he came on a Bengals HC in 2003 he actually managed to change Mike Brown's mind on a few things with roster management and the scouting department and even convinced him to bring the mindset and spending of the organization out of the 1920's and into, say, the 1970's.

$&%* ownership is a problem...but at the moment, the Donkeys have effectively NO ownership.

During the Pat Bowlen era (1984-2014), the Broncos had more Super Bowl appearances than losing seasons. Denver won the Super Bowl after the 2015 season, of course, but since then have gone 9-7, 5-11, 6-10, 7-9, and 5-11, missing the playoffs for five straight seasons.  They've had three different head coaches, three different defensive coordinators, and five different offensive coordinators in that five-year span.

If there's good news, it is that John Elway appears to have come to his senses and realized that he can't do it all. He will remain President of Football Operations, but announced today that the team will hire a General Manager to coordinate with HC Vic Fangio on personnel decisions.

I wonder who they're looking at. It seems unlike Elway to make such an announcement if he doesn't already have someone in mind....

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I wonder who they're looking at. It seems unlike Elway to make such an announcement if he doesn't already have someone in mind....

< buffs fingernails >

Not to be immodest but I'm available.

I just sold the property in Colorado which I had been intending to build on, but for the right money....

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Little fact from Peter King's story that Pariah linked...Tony Romo re-signed with CBS for $17M a year.

By comparison, only 17 NFL QBs made more...

We're all in the wrong lines of work.....

I really like him as the "color" guy on his broadcasts. My brother was in Texas for 6 years, at the end of Romo's run and the beginning of Dak's. He will rant about how much the idiot fans would blame Romo and praise Dak, who actually, at that time, had worse stats. But he makes a great analyst (interestingly, so does his predecessor Aikman, though I think Aikman is beginning to slip and you are starting to see the effects of his multiple concussions come out). 

Mostly unknown fact is that Collinsworth works for the Cowboys during the offseason and training camps as a roving coach, iirc. I really liked him when he first started doing HBO's football show, but have gotten tired of the "arguably the best in the league" or "No one in league does it better". He actually got called out at one point for how biased he was toward Dallas, in one game he had 60% of the losing record cowboys (this was 2 years ago I think) as being the best in the league.