Lost genre's?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

High Powered Superhero

• 503 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

Way back before the world ended and I was but a tech adept, there were many genre's of RPG's. Some of them I really don't see much of anymore. I was wondering if some RPG genres have become lost.

Spy setting. I remember a lot of spy games. There was top secret, "mercenaries, spies and private eyes" and the James Bond rpg. Are there any espionage themed games left anymore? I don't seem to see any.

Post apocalypse. We had the silly ones like gamma world. We had the dead serious ones like twilight 2000 and the ones kinda in between like The Morrow Project. Is the post apocalypse genre still around? I know there's the "hell on earth" setting for deadlands.

Speaking of deadlands we used to have some western RPGs. Boot hill was TSRs offering. Now I think it's mostly deadlands as far as western like RPGs are concerned.

I also remember a few pirates RPGs like "pirates and plunder" and I think one was called "swashbucklers". The last one I heard of was the pretty negatively regarded Poison'd which I had no interest in.

Of course we have had new genres like the whole world of darkness style and a lot of personal horror settings. But I was wondering about the ones I rememebr or at least remember reading about as a little tech brat.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#2 GhostDancer

GhostDancer

Axe Hero

• 1,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

A-E01.jpg

Post-apocalyptic: Paranoia started shipping to Kickstarter backers in March.

Western: Aces & Eights has a current edition; Reloaded.  This was also a Kickstarter project.

• Burrito Boy likes this

Warning--unless indicated otherwise, all comments are re: 5th ed rev.

#3 GM Joe

GM Joe

• 717 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Espionage: There's Merle Rasmussen's Top Secret: New World Order on Kickstarter. And of course there's Classified (a James Bond retroclone, updated for modern tech), as well as DWD Studios' Covert Ops.

Post Apocalypse: Goblinoid Games has Mutant Future and Goodman Games has the current edition of Metamorphosis Alpha.

There have been several westerns recently. Aces & Eights has been mentioned, and there was another recent one. But the biggie to me is that the award-winning Swedish role-playing game Western is finally getting an English translation via Kickstarter: https://www.kickstar...oleplaying-game

I'm sure there are others, but it's hard to keep up with the plethora of new products coming out all the time. The barriers to entry are so low in this market, we get tons of new product all the time, and they tend to stay around forever now, one way or another.

• Nolgroth likes this

GMing since 1982.

#4 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

High Powered Superhero

• 503 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Thanks all. I'm kinda glad some genres from my days as a little tech brat are still around in some forms even if I might not play some of them.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#5 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,607 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

I really wish I could get in on the Top Secret KS. That looks great.

#6 Burrito Boy

Burrito Boy

Closet Chimichanga

• 2,244 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

A-E01.jpg
Post-apocalyptic: Paranoia started shipping to Kickstarter backers in March.

Western: Aces & Eights has a current edition; Reloaded. This was also a Kickstarter project.

There's a copy of the painting used on the cover for Aces & Eights hanging on the wall next to me.

RIP David Burton (1960-2011)

Kurt Wilcken's pulp web comic Hannibal Tesla

#7 mrinku

mrinku

Very High Powered Superhero

• 693 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

Triple Ace Games has a Musketeer swashbuckler using their Ubiquity system called All For One. By default it includes (historically appropriate) monsters, but those are easily left out or relegated to superstition if you want a straight Musketeer game.

But yeah, swashing your buckle is one of those genres that pops up now and then, with long stretches of nothing. GDW's En Garde! Waaaaaay back in 1975 was one of the earliest RPGs of them all, but it's never been a common RPG genre for some reason.

#8 Tjack

Tjack

Powerful Hero

• 248 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

Unfortunatly, the Spy genre has turned from Bond to Bourne. Even the recent Kingsmen film lamented the trend of depressing espionage movies.
Perhaps with the Kingsman sequel coming out things may reverse themselves.
'cause Justice is the one thing you should always find.

#9 Nothere

Nothere

Very Powerful Hero

• 877 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:46 AM

Tech could you perhaps be referring to Swashbuckling Adventures a d20 published by wizards of the coast?

#10 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

High Powered Superhero

• 503 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Tech could you perhaps be referring to Swashbuckling Adventures a d20 published by wizards of the coast?

I don't know. I'm trying to remember stuff from long ago. I just could have sworn someone did a RPG called "swashbucklers!"

#11 Doc Shadow

Doc Shadow

Pulp Adventurer

• 990 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Swashbucklers was the name of the pirate genre book for GURPS.

cover_lg.jpg

• tkdguy likes this
"This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - No, you move." ~ Captain America