Superhero Pocketa are the worst!

Michael Hopcroft

There is a scene in the cult web series RWBY where protagonist Ruby Rose loses her wallet. When it is given back to her, she comments "girl pockets are the worst". Apparently she kept her wallet in a pocket in her skirt as opposed to a purse (which could be swipe more easily).

Looking back on that scene, it occurred to be that superheroes might need a place in their costume to keep things like a wallet. After all, there are many situations where a superhero might need a small amount of money (like going to the local hangout bar for supers, or getting a hot dog or a slice of pizza while out and about. This is especially important for heroes like the Flash whose metabolisms are so fast that they need to be fed almost constantly. That said, spandex does not leave much room for a pocket. Not every hero has a utility belt like Batman's which can easily include a place to keep money.

So how do you pick a superhero's pocket?

When I play, I'm a huge fan of having a utility belt.

I suppose without that, my costume would still have some kind of mid-line. I'd have an inconspicuous super-Velcro pocket there sufficiently large for a $100 bill and a couple of twenties. 

Honestly, in character, I'd rather wait or break into a vending machine than carry change.

As far as picking a superhero's pocket, I'd assume most of them wouldn't carry anything worth having that I couldn't get more easily elsewhere.

11 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Superman keeps this sort of thing in his belt buckle

In the Silver Age he used to compress his Clark Kent clothes down to wafer size and keep them and his glasses in a pouch in his cape. They were treated with a special chemical to keep from wrinkling.  That’s why his suit was always blue, shirts white and his tie red.

The belt buckle contained his JLA communicator.

God, I’m a geek.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, Tjack said:

In the Silver Age he used to compress his Clark Kent clothes down to wafer size and keep them and his glasses in a pouch in his cape. They were treated with a special chemical to keep from wrinkling.  That’s why his suit was always blue, shirts white and his tie red.

The belt buckle contained his JLA communicator.

God, I’m a geek.

Yes, yes you are. And we love you for it.

*  *. *

My character, Blue Streak’s outfit is essentially a mankini with flared shoulders and a solid back. She wears a belt with pouches to carry her EDC gear. 

Alternatively, cargo or BDU trousers are an option for superhumans who aren’t wearing costumes that expose the legs.

Hey, at least I didn’t say Wildey loves you.... 😛

And as for communicators, secure phones/radios with Bluetooth earpieces are always an option. I keep thinking about a headset which combines scrambled comms, a flip-aside HUD and a miniature video camera. The idea is to be able to let everyone see what you can (a la movies like Aliens) and have data able to be projected into your POV without it being overly distracting. 

On 8/1/2020 at 5:18 AM, DusterBoy said:

Alternatively, cargo or BDU trousers are an option for superhumans who aren’t wearing costumes that expose the legs.

Or high-tech equivalents to cargo pockets, particularly when the costume has thickness (ie, armor bought IIF).

Of course that begs the eternal question...

"What does it have in its pocketses!  It found it, it found it, my Precious!!!! Sneaksy Baggins!!!!"

(ok the whole thing isn't a quote, but it's close enough)

I could see a small pocket on most costumes to hold 1-2 credit cards and a key.  The Avengers ID card I believe was designed by Tony Stark and effectively was validation of Avenger status (Perk membership), A Diamond Level Credit line, and a communicator all rolled into the size and weight of a credit card.  It also had a secret ID and could disguise itself as a student ID or drivers license.

I don't remember where I read that originally but this is the Avengers Wiki link.

Aren’t there load bearing systems where the pockets and/or pouches are attached by Velcro?

I have a problem with Velcro because if it gets too hot, the material can warp, losing strength over time, and if it gets too cold, it can become brittle, causing the hooks and eyes to snap.

1 hour ago, DusterBoy said:

Aren’t there load bearing systems where the pockets and/or pouches are attached by Velcro?

I have a problem with Velcro because if it gets too hot, the material can warp, losing strength over time, and if it gets too cold, it can become brittle, causing the hooks and eyes to snap.

That's why I specified super-Velcro instead of Velcro. :D 

Most of the costumes I design either have a utility belt, a regular belt wide enough to be hiding a thin interior pocket like a classic travelers' money belt, some kind of Liefield arm or leg band-o-pouches, or a breastplate to stick a little cargo box on the back of like a Stormtrooper's donut and twinkies. A couple of times I've given a female character a Sailor Moon style butt bow and claimed it's a well-disguised fanny pack, and if worse comes to worst you can just say there's a hidden pocket at the small of the back. I really like the bow-pouch actually, but just try and get a group together who's willing to play a game of magical girls, or even let one person play one in their "serious" game of let's pretend about grown adults who go out in brightly colored pajamas with the underwear on the outside to punch bad guys in the face.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, DusterBoy said:

That’s why the military went to the MOLLE system as it’s load bearing, modular, endlessly configurable and silent if done up properly. Rob Liefield costumes often have questionably represented MOLLE equipment drawn on them.