2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

27 minutes ago, slikmar said:

My brother was commenting the other day about how big a gap there seems to be between starting QBs and their backups. I mean, there are 32 starters of varying ages, how are there not 32 more QBs of varying ages at least close in skill?

Just because there are 32 starters doesn't mean there's 32 starting-caliber QBs in the league.  Successful QBs require a combination of arm strength and skill, football knowledge, coaching skill and compatibility, leadership qualities, telepathy, teammate ability, scheme, and luck that is tantamount to winning the lottery.

Also, successful QBs are so bloody expensive that few teams can afford one of them let alone two.

46 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Just because there are 32 starters doesn't mean there's 32 starting-caliber QBs in the league.  Successful QBs require a combination of arm strength and skill, football knowledge, coaching skill and compatibility, leadership qualities, telepathy, teammate ability, scheme, and luck that is tantamount to winning the lottery.

Also, successful QBs are so bloody expensive that few teams can afford one of them let alone two.

Yeah, it's a mess.  Lots of bad starters.  
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-32-teams-primary-starting-quarterbacks-at-the-end-of-th

Purdy's 15th...largely because of a small body of work.  But I point him out to note that you can assert no one below him is truly starter-level...because he was 3rd string.  That's half the starters in the league.

Old Man notes the economics.  

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Start connecting them.  Cousins:  $35M.  Carr:  $40M.  Dak is listed at 10th...with big question marks...but $40M.  That's not even discussing Murray (heavily believed to be overpaid), Watson (worst move ever), or Stafford (Rams sold their soul for the SB win, this year was largely expected).  The price for someone who's shown he's at least semi-competent is ridiculously huge because teams are DESPERATE for them.

For backups, the issue is...what can you afford?  Jameis Winston's $14M hurts.  Jimmy G's $14M cap hit was manageable because Lance was on a rookie deal.  The backup QB ranks tend to have either kiddies like Purdy or has-beens like Dalton or Flacco, or "well they don't usually mess up" lifetime backups like Colt McCoy or Case Keenum.  Because they're CHEAP.  Also:  the backups who might do OK...want starter money, even if it's lower-tier starter money.  So there's a churn factor, where the better backups go free agent for a while...often sliding back within a couple years all the way into the has-beens group.

Except that the talent pool is going to be thinned out more than a nightclub's drinks.  XFL, USFL, and AFL at the same time?  I really doubt both the XFL and USFL can survive;  the AFL is different, as it's a faster, smaller game.  Still going to be a potential problem getting significant TV exposure and money.  AFL's game may also not compete well...it's too different...IF the XFL or USFL (or some merged combo) offers a decent brand of more conventional play.

Hey, did anyone remember there were some skills contests going on tonight?  If so, did you care?

Let the whole freaking Pro Bowl 'event' die....

A very sobering, disturbing number from the NFL:  concussions in 2022 up 22%.

Some, I'm sure, are related to the tighter protocols.  I remember seeing several players ordered to the sidelines for a concussion check.  What's both encouraging and disturbing is, if more checks are leading to this large a rise in detections.............how many have been missed in the last 5 years?

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

A very sobering, disturbing number from the NFL:  concussions in 2022 up 22%.

Some, I'm sure, are related to the tighter protocols.  I remember seeing several players ordered to the sidelines for a concussion check.  What's both encouraging and disturbing is, if more checks are leading to this large a rise in detections.............how many have been missed in the last 5 years?

Lots? Football has only begrudgingly begun to take brain injuries seriously, and they still have a long way to go. It took a graphic hit to Tua to get them to actually enforce the concussion rules they already had. 

20 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Looking for a DGAF state.

I'm in one.  I don't care what that graphic says, the fanbase here is all about west coast teams* and Miami plus, inexplicably, the Steelers.  No one here cares about KC or Philly.

* With a time lag, so 49ers-Raiders-Seahawks, not Rams or Chargers.

36 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

Well, this is one Illinoisan who's rooting for the team representing the city where he was born.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!!

You should be aware that there is an informal policy against NGD forum members rooting for franchises that do not consistently suck. We’ll let it go this time, but next season you might have to switch to the Jets or Bears. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

You should be aware that there is an informal policy against NGD forum members rooting for franchises that do not consistently suck. We’ll let it go this time, but next season you might have to switch to the Jets or Bears. 

Um, the Eagles are still in the NFC East, are they not? Are we to believe that after one surprising year, we're all just giving up on the entire NFC East sucking consistently?