Scrying Resistance

I've looked through the forums for an answer but not found it. Here's the question:

"How do I make it harder (PER penalties) to "scry" a character and/or an area?"

Based on writeups I've seen here, Darkness to Clairsentience is popular. But I don't want to blackout the character/area to Clairsentience (and is that even legal?), I want a penalty to PER rolls to sense a character/area provided the Special Effect of that sensing is "scrying". Granted, most of the time that would be using Clairsentience, but it might also be Mind Scan, or something else I haven't considered.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

If you want to change the environment so that it is harder to scry, it seems like Change Environment would be a good starting point.

Change Environment is also better than Darkness for this purpose because Darkness doesn't penalize perception... it prevents it.  I would use Change Environment with the PER penalties bought per Sense Group, but instead of the Sense Group being defined as "Sight" or "Hearing" or the like, the Sense Group would be "Scrying Senses."  This eliminates the need to guess whether the scrying power is built using Clairsentience or Mind Scan (or whatever other sense, as long as the special effect is "scrying").

In D&D and many fantasy settings Scrying is the following:

• Mind Scan: Find the subject (for those spells that find such a person)

• Clairsentience: See & Hear such person and that persons surroundings.

This "counter" this scrying one only need to prevent Mind Scan as the Clairsentience is linked to the success Mind Scan and the Mind Scan is all or nothing success.

OR

• Clairsentience: See some place far away as you if you in that place.

This would be countered by Darkness in the area.

If one wants to see the "Place" and all that is present in area but not intended target then that person protected from Clairsentience is Invisibility to "Clairsentience"

But one would notice the oddity of someone say conversing to protected person and thus looking like they are talking to 'an imaginary person'.

OR

• Change Environment with minus to Perception in protected area.

This would result in Mind Scan having more difficulty locking onto said subject.

And Clairsentience in Area would show everything heavily 'distorted', but this distortion would alert such a person protection spell present.

>>>

Perhaps best way to write it up if one does no want to have a distortion effect of Change Environment is as follows:

Invisibility to Clairsentience Group and Mind Scan , No Fringe ... Active Cost 35 and costing 3 END per phase.

Naturally one would have to have Game Masters approval for using Invisibility this way.

But this is just my opinion. After all this form of invisibility would not prevent someone standing in front of protected person from seeing the protected person.

1 hour ago, Utensil said:

In D&D and many fantasy settings Scrying is the following:

• Mind Scan: Find the subject (for those spells that find such a person)

• Clairsentience: See & Hear such person and that persons surroundings.

This "counter" this scrying one only need to prevent Mind Scan as the Clairsentience is linked to the success Mind Scan and the Mind Scan is all or nothing success.

OR

• Clairsentience: See some place far away as you if you in that place.

This would be countered by Darkness in the area.

If one wants to see the "Place" and all that is present in area but not intended target then that person protected from Clairsentience is Invisibility to "Clairsentience"

But one would notice the oddity of someone say conversing to protected person and thus looking like they are talking to 'an imaginary person'.

OR

• Change Environment with minus to Perception in protected area.

This would result in Mind Scan having more difficulty locking onto said subject.

And Clairsentience in Area would show everything heavily 'distorted', but this distortion would alert such a person protection spell present.

>>>

Perhaps best way to write it up if one does no want to have a distortion effect of Change Environment is as follows:

Invisibility to Clairsentience Group and Mind Scan , No Fringe ... Active Cost 35 and costing 3 END per phase.

Naturally one would have to have Game Masters approval for using Invisibility this way.

But this is just my opinion. After all this form of invisibility would not prevent someone standing in front of protected person from seeing the protected person.

By RAW, you'd need Invisibility to all Sense Groups with a Limitation for only vs Clairsentience and Mind Scan.

I think Change Environment is probably the way to go, but you could also use Images vs. Scrying Senses, Only to Conceal from Scrying Senses, and then set the PER modifier to whatever level of concealment you want.  This would be similar to a chameleon ability, but oriented toward scrying senses instead of sight.

Depending on the setting the GM may create a separate sense group for certain things.  For example, in a Fantasy Hero or other magic heavy game the GM could create a mystic sense group and require certain spells or abilities to be from this sense group.   Most often these senses would normally be part of the unusual group, but it may make sense to split them off.  In some cases, it will even change the default sense group of a power. I can see requiring a mind scan spell to be part of the mystic sense group instead of mental.   

If the GM does something like this, it becomes a lot easier to block a lot of things.  That is actually not a bad thing as it makes it easier to defend against a lot of things that would otherwise be hard to defend against.  

It also makes it easier to detect them, and only them.  It might need a bit of care to avoid being *too* good.  Magesight's not uncommon for fantasy...the ability to see spell constructs.  That may or may not cover scrying;  it might catch a Wizard Eye spell where there's the inobvious, but detectable, sensor, but not scrying through a crystal ball.