Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

From The Economist: The bad news is that climate change is forecast to reduce the area where current favored coffee spe ies can grosw. The good news is that there are losts of other species of coffee, with other favored climate ranges. Agronomists are hard at work studying them, with an eye to replacing/supplementing coffea arabica and coffea robusta, or crossbreeding to create a hardier plant. Your morning cuppa joe can be saved -- BY SCIENCE!

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2024/01/23/can-scientists-save-your-morning-cup-of-coffee

Dean Shomshak

But the tea? What about the tea?!

Edited by L. Marcus

Taylor Swift’s first Melbourne concert of the Eras tour was held at the MCG and 96,000 attended, her biggest crowd ever, a record for a Taylor Swift concert. She was crying. 

"I have to be honest with you about something. This is the biggest show we have ever performed on The Eras Tour or any tour ever," she told the crowd.

"If I seem a little bit like I'm losing my mind over the 96,000 of you, that's because it's true. I am."

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/af05a82b-cde9-4093-bb5c-5f7d5193ee81

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Taylor Swift’s first Melbourne concert of the Eras tour was held at the MCG and 96,000 attended, her biggest crowd ever, a record for a Taylor Swift concert. She was crying. 

"I have to be honest with you about something. This is the biggest show we have ever performed on The Eras Tour or any tour ever," she told the crowd.

"If I seem a little bit like I'm losing my mind over the 96,000 of you, that's because it's true. I am."

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/af05a82b-cde9-4093-bb5c-5f7d5193ee81

Obligatory

oxmdimf71c941.jpg

The Curious Link Between Blindness and Schizophrenia

It’s a phenomenon that’s stumped even the smartest scientific brains for decades: No one born blind has ever been diagnosed with schizophrenia. And though there have been countless studies conducted to test the theory, none have been as comprehensive as one published in Schizophrenia Research in 2018, which looked at whole-population data from 467,945 children born in Western Australia between 1980 and 2001. Over the course of the study, scientists found that of the 1,870 children (0.4 percent) who developed schizophrenia, none were born blind.

The anomaly has led researchers to believe there’s something about congenital blindness that, in fact, protects people from developing the condition. But what? There are two ideas: cognition and vision.