Will share the bounties of the earth

And every man is free,

Where wretchedness will hang its head

And joy, like a pearl,

Attends the needs of all mankind-

Of such I dream, my world!

44 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Favorite comment:  

"Get outta here with your sensible, measured & informed response to rampant speculation.  This is THE INTERNET, g*******! Rampant speculation is what we do!!"

Someone in my family checked out the first P. D. Q. Bach record from the library when I was young, and I was hooked.

Seeing Schickele/P. D. Q. Bach in concert in Seattle was a high point for my 1980s. It featured the 'Unbegun' symphony and a fall of sheet music onto the stage.

I hadn't known Schickele was still alive.

Dean Shomshak

8 hours ago, death tribble said:

Astronomers find mysterious object in Milky Way.

Naughty Cancer ! No biscuit !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68028464

The BBC's item title ("Milky Way: Manchester astronomers find mysterious object") makes one ask, "Were they looking in a Smarties tube?"

(Haven't read a technical article on the discovery yet.)

Edited by Cancer

I'm under the impression SI has been sustained solely by profits from the annual cheescake issue for many years now.  The regular issues were supposedly break-evens back in the 90s from what I recall in the news, and I don't imagine that's gotten better.  Am I wrong?

It's more complicated than that. Time sold Sports illustrated to another media outfit several years ago, who recently sold it to an outfit that is not a media company. That outfit has been trying to leverage The Sports illustrated name into lifestyle branding, e.g., resorts, etc. they fired about half their employees 3 years ago or so, and have recently been hit with a scandal about many of their articles being written by artificial intelligence. At this point it looks like the new owners are ready to just burn it down and start over, or maybe just let it die.

On 1/19/2024 at 2:07 PM, Cygnia said:

On 1/20/2024 at 8:32 AM, Cygnia said:

Physical publications in general are all dying...this was in NYT last week:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/18/business/media/billionaires-news-media-owners.html?unlocked_article_code=1.QU0.uL47.PBFBxkjFmYeY&smid=url-share

It isn't competence issues at the companies, it's just the fundamental problems with physical publishing.  

22 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Wonder if they'll get jobs in whatever Microsoft division makes those calls I keep getting about viruses on my computer.

I doubt it. Most likely those positions have already been replaced by some AI that will give the same stock reply to every query  - you need to purchase the latest product. 

On 1/25/2024 at 10:35 AM, Cygnia said:

23 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Wonder if they'll get jobs in whatever Microsoft division makes those calls I keep getting about viruses on my computer.

49 minutes ago, Asperion said:

I doubt it. Most likely those positions have already been replaced by some AI that will give the same stock reply to every query  - you need to purchase the latest product. 

Now I've got to wonder whether scammers are going to set up AI to make calls claiming they're from Microsoft warning you about "viruses", trying to get you to give them carte blanche access to your computer.  Or maybe they already have.