Wizards of the Coast Announces One D&D

Scott Ruggels

Well, we all know people should be playing less D&D and more Fantasy Hero. But the interesting things being done with the open content parts of 5e are starting to get interesting -- even if it's a bit unclear whether the timing is off. I'm looking oddly at you, Doctors & Daleks... (Yes, this is a real game).

Perhaps Hasbro has decided the tabletop RPG itself is in its death throes, under competition from consoles and a resurgent interest in board games. This despite the new linkage between D&D and Magic the Gathering has produced some very interesting results. I found the Ravnica setting richly imaginative, if not exactly someplace I would want to live or even visit), and the only reason I haven't purchased the new Eberron book is lack of money.

But Doctor Who? Really? This makes about as much sense as the episodes with Santa Claus and superheroes.

8 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Probably clickbait, but...

I like that you posted this, and I appreciate the probable truth of what it had to say, but it was unbelievably annoying on multiple levels.

Suits get control of something they don't understand and ruin it through greed and incompetence, episode MLMCCXIV.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Remember that purpetual OGL 1.0 license? Nice game you have there, Paizo, it would be a shame if you lost it.

https://gizmodo.com/dnd-wizards-of-the-coast-ogl-1-1-open-gaming-license-1849950634

Clearly it is time for players to move to a game system that's completely unrelated to anything OGL, d20, or OD&D.  Might I suggest a system that's been proven to scale to practically any power level while allowing almost total freedom for defining characters and powers?  And doesn't require weird polyhedral dice?

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Remember that purpetual OGL 1.0 license? Nice game you have there, Paizo, it would be a shame if you lost it.

https://gizmodo.com/dnd-wizards-of-the-coast-ogl-1-1-open-gaming-license-1849950634

My understanding is though that the old OGL is in perpetual. So as long as you use the old specific OGL, any new one wont affect you.

The Latest News:

16 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

My understanding is though that the old OGL is in perpetual. So as long as you use the old specific OGL, any new one wont affect you.

It is not.

Not any more.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/dungeons-dragons-license-tightens-grip-152000198.html

3 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Did a quick check of relevant message boards and subreddits to gauge the fan reaction:

Spoiler

Total. Meltdown.  Top comment in /r/dndnext: "Worst case scenario... the OGL is dead and buried."

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I could not care less if D&D vanished from existence tomorrow.  Still, this is going to upset a number of apple carts.  I honestly don't see a reason for WotC to back down.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Did a quick check of relevant message boards and subreddits to gauge the fan reaction:

Reveal hidden contents

Total. Meltdown.  Top comment in /r/dndnext: "Worst case scenario... the OGL is dead and buried."

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I could not care less if D&D vanished from existence tomorrow.  Still, this is going to upset a number of apple carts.  I honestly don't see a reason for WotC to back down.

I'm in a similar situation. If I'm running a game, it's usually Hero System. While my group has played its share of D&D, the GM that runs it uses a homebrew setting that borrows liberally from older materials. I sincerely doubt that we'd ever move to OneD&D (especially now with the direction Hasbro is taking it), and it's really hard to stop a private game from using already purchased books and PDFs. It's yet another argument for owning your media.

Found a brief legal analysis of OGL 1.1.  Basically, yes WotC can revoke OGL 1.0a, yes this is likely to destroy publishers that relied on it, no there isn't a lot anyone can do about it (though they might get some delay in the courts), no there won't be much third party support for D&D starting, like, a week from now.

IOW, imagine if WotC became Games Workshop.  Yesterday.

One thing though, this will be interesting. If the OGL does what people say it will, then how much push back will One D&D face? Will it make One D&D flop? Does D&D have enough fan loyalists to make it still marketable? Or will enough of the base be soured by this big business and turn away? hasboro may have over estimated gamers loyalty to the brand. All I can say is “time will tell”.

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

Found a brief legal analysis of OGL 1.1.  Basically, yes WotC can revoke OGL 1.0a, yes this is likely to destroy publishers that relied on it, no there isn't a lot anyone can do about it (though they might get some delay in the courts), no there won't be much third party support for D&D starting, like, a week from now.

IOW, imagine if WotC became Games Workshop.  Yesterday.

I read that however in the OGL 1a there is a line that that license cannot be added to or detracted from.  So Hasboro will probably have a fight. So will it be cost effective for them? Hasboro might find itself having a Pyrric Victory.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Old Man said:

I like that you posted this, and I appreciate the probable truth of what it had to say, but it was unbelievably annoying on multiple levels.

Suits get control of something they don't understand and ruin it through greed and incompetence, episode MLMCCXIV.

Sounds like they have seized upon the wetdream of perpetual income by merging into the NFT racket.

Paizo has already been hedging its bets by going into a licensed co-publication with Pinnacle for Savage Worlds adaptations of Pathfinder. Pinnacle has been releasing aggressively lately with games like Flash Gordon.  Pinnacle has their own version of the OGL, but is willing to lend its promotional muscle to the larger players.

And the people at Cubicle 7 who greenlit Doctors and Daleks are probably looking for Cybermen to delete the whole mess.

22 hours ago, Cancer said:

Sounds like they have seized upon the wetdream of perpetual income by merging into the NFT racket.

They got on that bandwagon about six months too late.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

One thing though, this will be interesting. If the OGL does what people say it will, then how much push back will One D&D face? Will it make One D&D flop? Does D&D have enough fan loyalists to make it still marketable? Or will enough of the base be soured by this big business and turn away? hasboro may have over estimated gamers loyalty to the brand. All I can say is “time will tell”.

This could be a good thing for other industry ‘players’ with a migration of D&D’s player base.