Public Service Announcement

Lord Liaden

To all our American HEROphiles: If any of you know someone who keeps a secondary telephone for personal safety -- something they would not want certain people to know they have -- it's important that you tell them to turn it completely off tomorrow.

The US government will be testing its Emergency Alert System (successor to the old Emergency Broadcast System) Wednesday, October 4, reportedly between 2:20 PM and 2:50 PM Eastern time, although that time frame may not be guaranteed or absolute. The full sound of the telephone may come through even if the 'phone is put on "mute," so the secondary 'phone should be completely shut off.

Test details (among other news sources): https://www.npr.org/2023/10/03/1202900361/a-nationwide-emergency-alert-test-is-coming-to-your-phone-on-wednesday

Why you should turn certain 'phones off on Wednesday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QGjOSbmlw

I got it on my obsolete phone...that doesn't have a SIM card.  I keep it around basically because it's got little trade-in value, but it can run the Hue app.  So, it just stays in the living room.

Also got it on my iPhone, AND on my VoIP line.  I'm just glad it was late enough that I was actually semi-functional....

My phone was at 20% battery when I left it downstairs to go take a shower and then order lunch. The alert went off right after I got upstairs. By the time I came back down, my phone had drained to 10% because the alert forced my screen to stay lit up until I cleared it manually.

Great system. Kill any unattended phones with the alert, thus ensuring people who have low battery never receive it if they leave their phone unattended. It's a bit of an edge case, to be sure, but it's a stupid function nonetheless. Not sure if that's on the phone OS or is dictated by the emergency alert system's standards. 

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

You mean it's the system's fault that someone didn't charge their 'phone?

Yes. If the goal of forcing a screen to be on displaying the message is to get the message read, then there's a design failure if it kills a battery in the process. 

Also keep in mind that phone batteries drain faster with age. You're supposed to swap them out after they take less than 80% of their original charge. People without the means to do so, who may even be getting by on hand me downs with weak batteries, would be negatively impacted. So, it's a system design that also impacts the poor.

Of course, it's probably their fault for being poor, right?

There are a lot of other situations -- including a large scale emergency -- that may result in a phone not being charged at all times.

Edited by Pattern Ghost

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Yes. If the goal of forcing a screen to be on displaying the message is to get the message read, then there's a design failure if it kills a battery in the process. 

Also keep in mind that phone batteries drain faster with age. You're supposed to swap them out after they take less than 80% of their original charge. People without the means to do so, who may even be getting by on hand me downs with weak batteries, would be negatively impacted. So, it's a system design that also impacts the poor.

Of course, it's probably their fault for being poor, right?

There are a lot of other situations -- including a large scale emergency -- that may result in a phone not being charged at all times.

With respect, I believe you're over-thinking this. The purpose of this system is to get urgent information to as many people as possible, as quickly as possible. The chance of anyone with a seriously depleted 'phone not being around someone whose 'phone is fully functional, or who wouldn't be sought out by a loved one who had gotten the news, would be very small. Not that it couldn't happen, but no system is perfect. You have to weigh the benefits versus the drawbacks, and try to achieve the greatest good for the most number of people.