Villainy Amok

Darren Watts

Hey all! In case you missed it, Villainy Amok is both in our store and hopefully your FLGS by now. If you haven't taken a look at this book, I really recommend you check it out. Scott's done some excellent work and the book in my opinion is a unique resource for players and especially GMs in the supers genre. Please take a moment and have a look- I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks! dw

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Villainy Amok

I'm sorry to see that this book isn't jumping off the shelves yet. This is my second favorite Champions book published by DOJ, after DEMON. The book is chocked-full of inspirational goodies and happily tends to use a few other characters besides the Champions in its examples. I'm preparing some adventures from the book for my new Miami Nights campaign from every chapter. I'd also say that the art, while not all fantastic, is some of the best I have seen in a Champions' product in a long time.

I actually thought to myself when I bought this that it would be interesting but would not add all that much to what I'm doing.

However, I find that even though I'm familiar with many of the genre conventions enclosed that this books is stimulating further ideas as to what I could do, and reminding me of things I haven't done in a long time or have only read in comics and not ever run in-game. It's lots of fun so far.

My FLGS has had problems getting things in on time because the owner lost a supplier. It seems that Have-It-To-You-One-Week-After-The-Printer-Ships was a sole propietor (I should have guessed from the excellent service). He died and his family closed it all down. Now my FLGS guy is working to get things back to speed, but I'm not holding any hope that the new supplier will match the previous one's speed. :cry:

I'm sorry to see that this book isn't jumping off the shelves yet. This is my second favorite Champions book published by DOJ' date=' after DEMON.[/quote']

Heck this may be one of my favorit books so far next to CKC. Just a great amount of details and springboard ideas. The 10 ways the scenario can go wrong sections are great and those pages of ideas at the end are excellent as well. For a GM this could be one of those truely great cost versus ongoing value books and should be considered a must have.

I bought the book through the Online Store, I love it, but I have one question:

In the sample Wedding scenario, who are the Crimelords? They get mentioned as being among the wedding attackers, but I don't remember seeing them in any of the books. And is it just me, or is that part of VA one of the funniest things HG has ever done to date?

BTW, my compliments to whatever twisted genius came up with the plot seeds in back.

The Crimelords were originally meant to be the War Machine (minus the Warlord). However, Steve may have had other villains in mind.

Feel free to replace them with whatever expendable cadre of starting level villains meets your fancy.

Thanks. If/when I ever run the scenario, I'll probably make them some archenemies of the PCs from my home campaign. Fury and Streethawk would probably be miffed at not getting invites to the wedding. ;)

Villainy Amok seems wondaful at first read.

I havent used it yet while GMing,

but its chock full of great ideas

to send heroes fetching and

players groaning.

The Fire system (End, Flam, Spd) seems :nonp:

a bit like Rolemaster in its chartiness,

but it is cool to know how fast a burnin

candle will kill you.

Can't wait to use it for sure for sure...

I just read through the book in the store today and saw a few gift items from the wedding part. Looking over my past posts when the good people are Hero Games asked for gift ideas:

"Lady Silver: a crystal statuette forged in a mystical dimension of the bride and groom holding hands and looking ahead to the future. With the right magical words, it can glow beautifully or play soothing music"

"Celestial Knight: twin swords forged by her Celestial Order (a Green Lantern homage) and ornamented with precious metals/gems. A little militant but it would be a gift of beauty and represent the couple as devout defenders of the innocent"

"Earth Force (African prince): a beautiful flower that remains in bloom for 50 years. It can be only obtained from a hidden mountain in his country and EF had to brave several trials to obtain it"

They used three of my ideas! Too cool! Thank you very kindly for chosing them. It made my day. Again, thanks!

Well I bought it. Very useful and so nice to see The Engineer and Invictus back.

But one of the things I did was to check who attacked the wedding party as I went through and gave a list in the Wedding thread last year. Almost all the people I listed for the great punch up were there. Result.

Exit one happy Tribble