• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

For some people it’s castles with their noble history and crumbling towers, for others it’s abandoned factories or lost cities. But for those who enjoy reading, a huge beautiful library is a place of endless pleasure. Meet 20 of the biggest and most beautiful libraries around the globe.

20 of the World's Most Beautiful Libraries

This is why I could never be an architect. I think the SL picture looks awful! I see a pretty building with elegant walkways and an indulgent use of open space . . . and not a whole lot of stacks of books! It looks like they built something as a work of beautiful architure and not as a means to find a book and enjoy it.

feh.

This is why I could never be an architect. I think the SL picture looks awful! I see a pretty building with elegant walkways and an indulgent use of open space . . . and not a whole lot of stacks of books! It looks like they built something as a work of beautiful architure and not as a means to find a book and enjoy it.

feh.

There is a certain mentality with some library designers to design the "library of the future". This leads to some interesting problems. I'll give some examples using the old library buildings on the UNLV campus as an example (they're now turned over to the law school, I believe).

The original library building was a round, three story structure, with plenty of '60s modern touches. It was, however, not all that well-suited to hold books, given that a round building doesn't make for efficient use of shelf runs, and the weight loads tends to cause the floors to sag (in 1988, there was a noticeable deflection of the third floor of about 8 to 12" in the center).

In the early 80s, a modern, "library of the future" 4 story rectangular building was added to the old library, with the two buildings connected by a bridge on levels two and three. It was clad in red and white metal panels, with glass curtain walls on some parts, and round "porthole" bubbles on others. Part of the 4th floor was supported by columns , that surrounded the entrance.

And, since a "library of the future" wouldn't need to store any heavy things, the floors were reinforced to office standards (supporting a static load of approximately 75 lbs per square foot). That meant that things like microfiche and microfilm cabinets had to be carefully placed, because an empty cabinet can weigh in at around 400 lbs. Bookshelves had to be arranged so that they were riding the support beams between columns, for the same reason.

Oh, and you know that 4th floor section on the 3 story columns? Well, that was a closed stack* for Special Collections. And since Special Collections tends to hold a variety of odd shelves (heavy), and other materials (file records, artwork, recordings, and so on), the flooring in this section visibly bowed between support beams. And on windy days, this section would shake in a most disturbing way.

So, why wasn't the building designed better? Well, you see, the "library of the future" doesn't hold books, at least for some architects.

JoeG

*Closed stacks are only available to librarians. Patrons must request the materials, and have the items retrieved. This is done either to protect items (Special Collections), or because of space concerns (compact shelving, or automated retrieval systems are most common).

I looked at that, and I'd swap one Seattle library for another. The new Seattle central library has a neat-looking exterior, no doubt about that. But inside it doesn't really work. The "book spiral" concept is interesting, but it's based on a mode of organization -- strict linear progression -- that is more restrictive than is really appropriate for a 21st Century library. And it's annoying having to go uphill or downhill to get to the next shelf, every time.

Instead, I'd swap in the U of Washington's Suzzallo Library.