"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Despite the analysis given above by another servicemember' date=' I believe that picture isn't necessarily B.S. The flames I can clearly see are shooting from the flare dispenser visible in the underside of the aft end of the landing gear nacelle (there are more on the other nacelle, those dark rectangles), and are probably the ejector charges blasting the flares away from the plane. The shadow on the upper engine nacelle is consistent with the placement of the light source, and the shadows are visibly washed out by the flames, but not completely washed out (the sun is really, [i']really [/i]bright compared to flare ejector charges).

I can also see what appear to be chaff dispensing devices near the wingtips (the wingtip vortex would help the chaff fibers "bloom", I.E. not stay clumped in a useless wad). I would guess that the plane shown is a Canadian Air Force plane, since it has a false cockpit painted on the underside.

I'm pretty sure the above photo wasn't "shopped".

OK. Won't argue with a zoomie about Air Force aircraft. I didn't know A-10s carried flare dispensers on the landing gear pods. Dumping a flare like that makes it look like he's going into a evasion turn. Is he launching the maverick also, or is that flame there another flare?

(I work on a navy air station now. Ask me about F-18s, or P-3s, or E-2s, or C-2s or SH-60s. I see those aircraft. Air Force A-10s, F-16s, F-15s, T-38s... not so much.

Oh, and C-130s in National Guard paint. Lots of those, every weekend.)

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

73791_10150299106455034_851840033_15531687_4314285_n.jpg

I remember seeing that ad when it was coming out! Back then, $6.98 was more than a lot of toys.

I don't know when that particular version of the ad came out, but it's before ZIP codes started in 1963. Otherwise the address in the ad would include the zip.

When we were in Ireland, we visited the medieval library in Trinity College. They've got these enormous shelves, 30 feet high, and the books on them are arranged by...

Size.

Yep. Forget about your Library of Congress or your Dewey Decimal systems. The smallest books were on top, the biggest ones were on the bottom shelf. You wanted to find a book in ancient times, you'd better have a pretty good idea of its dimensions. :rofl: