Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Are you kidding? Nato is the Unstoppable Art Machine of Hero Games. I think he must be the Steve Long of illustration.

Keith "Credit where credit is due" Curtis

*Chuckles*

Thanks! That's quite a compliment. I had to stop this week though, due to the birth of my first child, Allison Paige. But I shall now resume my normal routine of drawing until my hands fall off.

Originally posted by Nato

*Chuckles*

Thanks! That's quite a compliment. I had to stop this week though, due to the birth of my first child, Allison Paige. But I shall now resume my normal routine of drawing until my hands fall off.

Congrats on your daughter, Nate. She'll have you tied around her little finger in no time (if she doesn't already). :D And one more thing, now that you have a child, you will never have a normal routine again. Take it from one who knows. :eek:

Double Posting? Me? I dunnot thinkso...

Hey Storn, remember me telling you how much I enjoyed the art work of that one super from Champions & MC? I finally wrote her up.

Here she is.

Morningstar

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

50 STR 40 19- Lift 25.6tons; 10d6 [5]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

25 CON 30 14-

12 BODY 4 11-

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-

12 EGO 4 11- ECV: 4

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

18 COM 4 13-

25 PD 15 Total: 25 PD (15 rPD)

25 ED 20 Total: 25 ED (15 rED)

5 SPD 17 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 193

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 0"/25"/0"/50"

Leaping: 10"/20"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

13 Gravitic Manipulation: Elemental Control, 40-point powers, (20 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2)

13 1) Gravitic Blast: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) 8

13 2) Graviton Maniplation: Flight 20" (40 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) 8

14 3) Gravity Field : Change Environment 8" radius, -8 to STR Roll (41 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) 8

14 4) Inprecise Gravitic Manipulation: Telekinesis (30 STR) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 8

13 5) Slower Movement: Flight 5", Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (x16 maximum weight per inanimate target; +2) (35 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) 6

33 Gravitic Control Enhancers: Buy off 2x End on EC: Gravity Manipulation (41 Active Points); IIF (Focus - Microcircuitry in Costume; -1/4)

22 Gravity Resistant: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Only Works Against Gravity Based Attacks Very Limited Type of Attack (-1)

15 Highly Resiliant: Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED)

Multioptic Visor, all slots OAF (-1)

1 1) Gyroscope: Bump Of Direction (3 Active Points); OAF (-1)

2 2) Light Amplification: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)

5 3) Magnification Vision: Microscopic ( x100) with Sight Group (10 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1 4) Onboard Clock: Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1 5) Range Finder: Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); OAF (-1)

4 6) Telscopic Vision: +5 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group, Sight Sene Group (+0) (8 Active Points); OAF (-1)

2 7) Thermal Vision: Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)

19 Personal Atmosphere: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing), Usable By Other (+1/4) (24 Active Points); IIF (Focus - Uniform; -1/4)

7 Radio in Guantlet: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Perks

1 Contact: Champions 8-

2 Contact: Dr. Silverback 11-

11 Vehicles & Bases: Lab/worshop

Skills

15 +3 with HTH Combat

5 Cramming

3 Deduction 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 Inventor 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Bio-Physics 13- (3 Active Points)

1 2) SS: Genetics 11- (2 Active Points)

3 3) SS: Gravitics 14- (4 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Mathematics 13- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Phyisics 13- (3 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 257

Total Cost: 450

200+ Disadvantages

10 Dependent NPC: Dr. Felcicia Perry (Adoptive Mother)/Dr Anton Perry (Adoptive Father) 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

20 Hunted: Institute for Human Advancement 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Gravitar 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Mutant Rights Activist (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Curious and Inquisative (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Reputation: Powerful Young heroine, 11-

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Danika Petrovic) (Frequently, Major)

5 Unluck: 1d6

100 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 450

Background/History: Danika Petrovic's mother died in childbirth. A single mother, she had no family to take care of the newborn, so she was put up for adoption. She was adopted at the age of 2 by Dr's Anton and Felicia Perry, research scientists on the UMC payroll. Using the name Danni Perry, she went through the Millenium City Public School sytem. Her mutatnt physiology was readily apparent growing up, she was simply stronger and more physical than her classmates. It wasn't until her 16th birthday, however that her ability to control gravity surfaced. Although powerful, the abilities were tireing to use, even for someone of Danni's enchanced physical attributes.

After finishing college (at the ripe old age of 20), Danni got a job working for Harmon Industries. In her spare time she developed the microcircuitry laden uniform that would allow her to more easily control her mutant powers. Shortly thereafter she began her career as Morningstar, a new heroine on the MC horizon. She has in her brief career encountered agents of VIPER, the IHA, and on one memorable occasion did battle with Gravitar along side the Champions. Although no-where near as powerful as Gravitar, Morningstar scored the knockout due to her superior strength and natural resistance to gravity based attacks.

Although currently a solo heroine, she works pretty well with others, lending her physical and mental might to problems without being pushy. She is very aware of those who came before her and works hard at being a positive role model for younger supers.

Personality/Motivation: Driven by a need to do good, perhaps to prove her worth as a person to herself. Danni is a protector of life and an incorrigably curious and thoughtful young woman.

Quote: "Perhaps I might be able to lend a hand."

Powers/Tactics: Danni is more comfortable closing into hand to hand combat range and dealing with her opponents on a personal level, she has less control over her gravity powers (save for flight) than she would like and although she practices with them in private, tends to "go with what she knows" in real combat.

Campaign Use: Another heroine to dot the MC skyway. Dani is meant to be more powerful than the average starting character, and if she isn't, then increase her STR to 60, CON to 30 and BODY to 15, Up her Gravity blast to 10 or 12 d6 and raise her Defenses to 30 each. If she's too powerful, drop her STR to 40 and her defenses to 20.

Appearance: An attractive young woman woman with brown hair and blue eyes. She's young and tends towards modern fashions. Her costume is a white body suit with a blue cape, red circles on her shoulders, and grey high-tech bracers over blue gloves. She wears a green visor over her eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Storn

This is Sirocco, a speedster NPC who in RDU Neil's game actually started at 7 years old and is now 23. Recently, Sirocco became a PC, now played by Rick. And is come out of his teens and college experiences ready to step back into the Heroic life style.

Hope y'all like.

Storn, great pic. One of my favorite of all you've done. Your talent is exceptional! :) Keep up the good work.

Acroyear II

This is Sirocco, a speedster NPC who in RDU Neil's game actually started at 7 years old and is now 23. Recently, Sirocco became a PC, now played by Rick. And is come out of his teens and college experiences ready to step back into the Heroic life style.

Hope y'all like.

I like this pic quite a bit, though I'm jealous that Rick's playing a speedster in the RDU and Speedball's just gathering dust with me, here in NYC.

*sigh*

Anyway, you've done a good job here. I get a real sense of the power coming from his legs and propelling him forward

>>Storn are you going to put this thread or one like it back on the M&M boards. I miss it over there.<<

I just recently did.

>>I remember seeing Storn's wonderful art in "Justice, Not Law", which was a Dark Champions sourcebook. There was a group there whose insignia had an IT on it. What did that stand for and are there any images of them?<<

Ah yes, when I inked with a #4 brush (instead of the 00 or #1 now). I do not remember what the IT stood for. I believe those were some of Bruce Harlick's characters. No, I have never revisited that trio again. Some other artists might have used them.

Here was a fun private commission. Two versions of the same character, one from the 70s and one from the 80s.

I just love some of the little touches you put into the 70s version: the fringe on the belt pouches. And that belt. Eeek! I think I had a belt like that once.

Very nice.

Off topic question for Storn or anyone who knows the answer: What is the name of black superhero that Storn drew for the picture on pg. 17 of Champions Universe?

He is a solidarity fist symbol on his chest and he is flying up behind a sniper. I've been intriqued ever since I saw the picture (and the one of him on pg.16)

Originally posted by Ranxerox

Off topic question for Storn or anyone who knows the answer: What is the name of black superhero that Storn drew for the picture on pg. 17 of Champions Universe?

He is a solidarity fist symbol on his chest and he is flying up behind a sniper. I've been intriqued ever since I saw the picture (and the one of him on pg.16)

As far as I know (since I game regularly with Storn and hear his art stories as he gets them) that picture was just a random creation for "Vietnam era heroes"

The irony of it is, that Greg or some other artist created the EXACT SAME CONCEPT (fist on chest, caped black hero) in a completely separate drawing, without ever having talked to Storn.

I don't think the character has a name or history. Just an image that captures your attention. Write your own version. (I know I have, for my game world.):D

Originally posted by bcholmes

I just love some of the little touches you put into the 70s version: the fringe on the belt pouches. And that belt. Eeek! I think I had a belt like that once.

Very nice.

Thanks! The whole time I was drawing him, I was thinking; "oh yeah, Wizard wasn't doing any drugs on campus during this time period! Right." Of course, growing up smack dab in the middle of the drug culture of the 70s didn't help my outlook on all of this.

I'm curious: how long does it take for a commission to gel in your head? Do you doodle a couple of ideas first? Or do you just visualize it in its final form?

This has always come easy for me. Within minutes of reading a character description, I have a base idea to work from. Doesn't mean it doesn't change as I work. Rarely do I get stuck. Sometimes its an expression, sometimes body language... or for supers, the pose. Sometimes it is one element of the costume and everything flows from there.

You happened to give me really strong direction, things like suggesting Hourman's hood is really helpful. And also admiting that you weren't as clear on the 70s version, giving me the permission to experiment is important.

Really, the toughest part of Wizard was the Blue, Red, Yellow, Black color scheme. Which blue, which red? etc. But digital color makes those decisions easily modified or overturned.

Yeah, I really like him. I would love to see him get a write up one of these days. Neil has got it right, Steve and Andy were chuckling about how both myself (and sorry, I'm blanking on the name) the other artist came up with the same image demonstrating the 60s superhero. I think my art description asked for a paranormal or two in a Viet Nam setting. It was not suggested to do African American... but considering how many African Americans were in Nam, it seem to me, that a black superhero would be interested in saving their lives, regardless and maybe despite/because of the vast political rifts of that time. Its fun for me as an illustrator if I can even hint at more story than what the actual scene shows...

Yeah, I really like him. I would love to see him get a write up one of these days. Neil has got it right, Steve and Andy were chuckling about how both myself (and sorry, I'm blanking on the name) the other artist came up with the same image demonstrating the 60s superhero.

That is kind of spooky actually, but thank you for answering.

:)

The character definitely could use a name and an official write-up (though I wouldn't mind seeing either of the unoffical ones mentioned).