Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Wow.  I have done 150 (and counting) commissions for uber patron Death Tribble.  He asked me to do a vehicle of his Avatar logo (for those who haven't seen it, a ball of brown fur with cartoon eyes with an angry furrowed and flaming brow).  I've been planning this one for a long time, knowing I was going to go a bit beyond that.... so Presenting!  The Mighty Multi Morphin Death Tribble Mobile!!!!

DeathTribbleMultiMobileF72_zpsb3e915e9.j

Death Tribble Mighty Multi Morphin Moblie.

And oh yeah, I've got a couple of Fading Suns commissions to show too!

Wendrell72_zpsb2674c30.jpg

SharklipF72_zps7c1e0e10.jpg

Wow.  I have done 150 (and counting) commissions for uber patron Death Tribble.  He asked me to do a vehicle of his Avatar logo (for those who haven't seen it, a ball of brown fur with cartoon eyes with an angry furrowed and flaming brow).  I've been planning this one for a long time, knowing I was going to go a bit beyond that.... so Presenting!  The Mighty Multi Morphin Death Tribble Mobile!!!!

Self aggrandisment, moi ?

someone dropped an H

This is amazing. DT, you must make these into avatars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Storn,

Do you remember Dave Webb at all? I'm in a regular game with him and he showed us some characters you drew for him.  They looked wicked awesome!

I remember doing some artwork for him, yah!  I think it was some pulp stuff, right? (and forgive me if I'm remembering that wrong.... i have done a lot of commissions over the years)

• 3 weeks later...
Last night was the grand opening of the temporary art gallery down on the Ithaca Commons as part of the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Fest.  It was a hoot!!!  Steve Ellis, the coordinator of the whole dang thing, put up a 12' canvas on the wall and a bunch of us threw some acrylic paint at it.  I got pics to prove it!

photo-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

So.  Top pic, from left to right Steve Ellis, Steve Walker, Fred Harper, Cesar (who's last name I don't know but he is awesome!) and Jen Lightfoot.

2nd pic, John Haeffner, Cesar and Jen.

Note for next year, prime that dang canvas!!!!

So.  Today at the IIFFF gallery, there will be a whole gaggle of us artists doing life drawing from live models from 11 to 5 today.  IF you are in the Ithaca area, want to hang out with a whole bunch of cool, weird, creative types, COME ON DOWN!  Or.  If you like horror films, man, IIFFF has some really great, unknown gems as well as a couple classics.  Please check out the link:

Meanwhile, let me drop some my art on ya!  Both of these are private commissions and the tavern scene is available as part of my LPJ Design's Portfolio Single series .

Tavern Cheatin'

FantasypokergameF72_zps64a4da68.jpg

The next one will be released soon as stock art, and I will let folks when that happens.  And is another of the fantasy Cap America with the serial numbers filed off.

Marshall of the City

MarshalloverthecityF72_zps7df537aa.jpg

So, I’ve been a bit more in the public with my art than usual.  The 2nd day of the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Festival Art Gallery events was a 2 live models posing for all of us artists.  It was funny watching other artists sketch and the “table” talk was a hoot, as was the jockying for a better position to do our sketches <g>

The 2 Liz’s from Whiskey Tango Sideshow were awesome!  They brought very cool costumes and props and a lot energy and fun to their posing.  And yes!  I wasn’t making up any costuming, that is what they were actually wearing.  And yes, balancing sword on her head was held for the entire 10 min pose without a wobble.  True pros!

Thought I would share some of my sketches done that day.  Every sketch except the sitting pose with the scimitar on the shoulder was 10-20 min poses.  The scimitar on the shoulder was a 40 min pose.

3 poses

DancerLiz3posessk72_zps68577ee2.jpg

Headmistress Liz

Headmistresssk72_zps570b2f1d.jpg

Sitting Liz

Lizsittingsk72_zps607ff1e7.jpg

A few weeks ago, I talked about a doing some art at the Johnson Art Museum at Cornell University.  This was a sketch I did then based on the “future civilization” of this massive instillation from China.

Future father

FutureFathersk72_zps8a9573d2.jpg

• 2 months later...
Here are a couple of concepts I have done for Death Tribble.

We have Sea Slug and Ghost Train.  I will let you guess which one is which.  

I am pretty happy with how both of these turned out, there is something really fun with dealing with color in a very non-comic book way, ie, no real inked lines, but still reading as a comic book concept.  The original of Sea Slug didn't have any inked lines, I actually came in AFTER the color and did those digitally with Manga Studio 5.  About the only program I can even approach a decent ink job with.  I have a really hard time inking with Photoshop or Painter, but Manga Studio 5 does the trick for me. 

Sea%20Slug%20F%2072_zpsfngnphik.jpg

Ghost%20Train%20F%2072_zpsxtjxplcp.jpg