Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Thanks again for the Black Rose, Storn! He's one of my favorites that I commissioned from you.

For those of you interested in the character, John Wick wrote this about the Black Rose in his Knights of the Rose and Cross sourcebook for 7th Sea:

"Recently, a man wearing black robes, a black mask and Seal of the Order has been spotted all across Théah. 'The Black Rose', as the Freiburg Gazette has dubbed him, has made quite a sensation both within the Order and within the courts."

And that, I believe, is the only written bit on the character. At least it was all I could find. For my campaign, and for a scenario I'm writing up, I needed the Black Rose to be arted up good for me. And Storn has come through again!

The tabard is perfect, I think. And the mask is exactly as I described it to Storn. The whole image gives him a sort of 12th-century knight look and that's exactly how I believe he should look!

Now to stat him out....

Thanks Storn!

Richard

Here is a private commission that I did like a novel cover. Lots of space for title. It is a Fading Suns commission for BC Holmes.

The alien planet description allowed me the opportunity to play with an audacious color scheme. Fun stuff to try.

FSunsloRes.jpg

Sweet. I like it, alot.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I seem to be really stuck in this green color schemes area.

But this is Tachyon. A character in the RDU who's been around almost from its beginning. Albeit, spottingly played by M. And he's been a green color scheme for decade plus.

But Tachyon has been dusted off again and in actual play, got a new costume of crystaltech enhancment. Any similarity to my own PC's outfit (Vector) is absolutely on purpose. Crystaltech is a lynchpin of RDU... and Vector's TK can transform C-tech. Tachyon and Vector rebuilt the suit after a "future' mechanon's cyber-infection.

TachyonloRes.jpg

All three very cool. Fish Girl's energy trident is very similar to the one "Atlantian" has on your website, Storn. Is that a common weapon among those folk?

Richard

It is now. . That Atlantean was done for Necessary Evil. I refered to it, as Neirien does use the blast trident that is SOOOO vicious in NE.

I just have to say it again, I really admire your work Storn.

From the earliest times I saw your pics in games (mostly HERO) I always liked the themes and the action involved. Being honest, there has been a definate progression and growth, and it is noticable. It seems like now you are able to accurrately nail what your mind wanted to show in the past.

Always good really, but now the work is just great.

I tend to like your Black and Whites (and expecially your pencils) better than your colors, but your book covers are certainly an exception. Your digital coloring looks great now and I like that it isn't ever overdone.

Just a question, do you prefer the black and white work? Do you feel that pics are often complete at that stage and don't need the color? Or do you generally feel your works are done only after fully colored?

I just have to say it again, I really admire your work Storn.

From the earliest times I saw your pics in games (mostly HERO) I always liked the themes and the action involved. Being honest, there has been a definate progression and growth, and it is noticable. It seems like now you are able to accurrately nail what your mind wanted to show in the past.

Always good really, but now the work is just great.

I tend to like your Black and Whites (and expecially your pencils) better than your colors, but your book covers are certainly an exception. Your digital coloring looks great now and I like that it isn't ever overdone.

Just a question, do you prefer the black and white work? Do you feel that pics are often complete at that stage and don't need the color? Or do you generally feel your works are done only after fully colored?

I find black and white inking pretty boring now. It used to be the hardest thing I could imagine doing and I struggled with it for years... as my older stuff can attest to.

But a few years back, something clicked... and inking became easy, almost a joy. Now, I can do it on autopilot. I need to watch TV or something to keep myself at work during the inking process. The funny thing, I'm so relaxed, so intuitive now with my inking I continue to get better at it in spite of my blase attitude.

No. I much prefer color. There is the challenge of color... I took up painting very late in life as an artist. And it pays more. It is percieved to be worth more than b&w. It is harder to do.

Continuing on with some commissions from within my own gaming group, here are two characters from our UNITE in RDU.

E's Coal, the mexican inheritor of an ancient mantle of Earth Protector.

and M's Maser. The bastard son of Neutron, hailing from Tunisia and budding internat'l lawyer. Neutron in our game actually turned a corner and died heroically, saving Mars colony from annihilation. Maser is on a quest to make up for his father's sins at the same time trying to learn more about the man.

CoalloRes.jpg

MaserloRes.jpg

I guess I'm gonna have ta break down and break out the thesaurus. I'm running out of ways to say "Great work Storn."

As always, very nice pics. I guess I'd better save up some ducats and have you do a pic of one of my characters.

I know that this should be in the Fantasy Hero section... but I just can never find my thread over there.

I loves ta do da fantasy stuffs.

Here is a character of a good friend of mine. This is M's Pc in my Realms game. The character is one who knows a lot of people, positioned close to the throne of the Emporer of the South and has a knack at being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The visual was slightly based on a Reaper minature.

Here is Alterion

AlterionloRez.jpg

I know that this should be in the Fantasy Hero section... but I just can never find my thread over there.

I loves ta do da fantasy stuffs.

Here is a character of a good friend of mine. This is M's Pc in my Realms game. The character is one who knows a lot of people, positioned close to the throne of the Emporer of the South and has a knack at being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The visual was slightly based on a Reaper minature.

Here is Alterion

Too cool. He looks so relaxed ... *sigh*

Just a question, if you don't mind - and it's for anyone who can help - but where do you come up with the designs for armor and the like? I'm trying to do character sketches of races for the creatures / species in my fantasy hero world, and I'm trying to make sure that I evoke the kinds of protypical postures and "types" of each race. To that end, I'm having trouble finding examples of what fantasy clothing / armor should look like. Do you have a resource? I remember you saying how you used clothing designs for superhero costumes, but I don't think that'll help me in this case. Mainly because I can't fall back on the tried and true "spandex" that makes drawing heroes easier than drawing people in full baggy garb.

Sorry for posing this here, it just seemed relevant to the topic.

Ry / Inspired one day, not so much the next ...

I'm trying to do character sketches of races for the creatures / species in my fantasy hero world' date=' and I'm trying to make sure that I evoke the kinds of protypical postures and "types" of each race. To that end, I'm having trouble finding examples of what fantasy clothing / armor should look like. [/quote']

I don't know where Storn gets his ideas from, but a good resource of what "real" clothing and armor looked like can be found here: http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/home.aspx. These guys started off in the 80's making "battle ready" swords but they have expanded since then to do clothing, armor etc... If you follow the link you will see menu items on the left for Armor and Shields and Period Clothing Men and Women (they also have smaller sections here for Fantasy clothing). The poses are pretty cheesy, but the armor and clothing are pretty dead on for the various periods. Hope that helps.

I don't know where Storn gets his ideas from' date=' but a good resource of what "real" clothing and armor looked like can be found here: http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/home.aspx. These guys started off in the 80's making "battle ready" swords but they have expanded since then to do clothing, armor etc... If you follow the link you will see menu items on the left for Armor and Shields and Period Clothing Men and Women (they also have smaller sections here for Fantasy clothing). The poses are pretty cheesy, but the armor and clothing are pretty dead on for the various periods. Hope that helps.

Neat!

I don't know where Storn gets his ideas from' date=' [/quote']

Gotten a few ideas from you, m'man. Most of these commissions, the ideas are coming from y'all. I'm just the conduit. Below is a perfect example. I would probably never come up with that particular color scheme... except the client requested white/silver hair and wolf like colors. I googled a wolf... and this is what I come up with. And I quite like this color scheme!

Anyway, more veteran verve from the valley of visual vavoom. This is Lady Lupus from Vampirella 2001. Hope y'all like.

LadyLloRes.jpg