CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Darren Watts

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

I can't believe I forgot this until now. :o

How about more details about some of the other "hidden lands" from the Champions Universe? I was thinking specifically of the Jaguar Priests from the Valley of Night in Peru; the Birdpeople of the island of Thaar in the Indian Ocean; and the Selenite civilization on the Moon.

Besides being interesting places to visit, there's certainly potential there for NPC or even PC origins.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, right, the Kingdom of the Apes! I forgot all about that - good catch SirViss. Definitely worth a little more print. Their mention in CU doesn't actually specify a "city," though, but it does say the gorillas are hostile to nature-despoiling humans, so I'm guessing they're not urban.

Heck, maybe there should be a Hidden Lands II. :sneaky:

I can't believe I forgot this until now. :o

How about more details about some of the other "hidden lands" from the Champions Universe? I was thinking specifically of the Jaguar Priests from the Valley of Night in Peru; the Birdpeople of the island of Thaar in the Indian Ocean; and the Selenite civilization on the Moon.

Besides being interesting places to visit, there's certainly potential there for NPC or even PC origins.

I'd like to see and read more about the Valley of Night, as well as how they relate to Jaguar and Tezcatlipoca.

And the Birdpeople of Thaar? Are they from a Digital Hero article?

This has probably been covered earlier in this thread, but I'd also like to see how each of the hero/villian/tweener groups view each other and react to each other... White Wolf's pretty much gotten this shtick down pat in it's WoD games, but it's still pretty useful.

I'd like to see and read more about the Valley of Night, as well as how they relate to Jaguar and Tezcatlipoca.

And the Birdpeople of Thaar? Are they from a Digital Hero article?

Yes, DH #11, but that was from Darren Watts's "History of the CU" series of articles, so I assume that it's more or less official.

The mist-hidden island of Thaar was discovered by the Fabulous Five. The Birdpeople are a humanoid avian race created by unspecified aliens in the ancient past. One of the Birdpeople later joined the Five under the name of Kestrel.

As for the Valley of Night, with that name, location and history, I'm betting that it has something to do with Eclipsar. :eg:

• 2 weeks later...

Galactic Champions is a great place to find a pumped-up version of Mechanon, well able to take on whole teams of experienced PCs, as well as several formidable minions for him. In fact one version of Mechanon in that book is so pumped up, your heroes will most likely want to hide under their beds when they see him coming. :eg:

Interestingly, your other requests are also addressed in that book, in their way. I've already adapted several of the characters in it to my modern-day modified CU campaign. :thumbup:

Hard to say. There is so much. I do not have many of the books, myself, but I imagine that advanced or developed classic villains and heroes are always a plus. New members to old organizations. How about family of the exsisting characters. In the time that's passed, has anyone gone and got hitched or had a kid?

How about some more little secrets of the world? Lost world Characters, cosmic visitors, etc?

Full color art?

Sorry, I held my tongue as long as I could.

One book. Just a try? One try is all I ask. An experiment? Please. Pretty please?

A printing quote from Quebecor World, Inc. [Latin American plant]: 200 pages, hardcover, 2,000 copies full color: $14,800.00. How much are you willing to pay for that book? :)

A printing quote from Quebecor World' date=' Inc. [Latin American plant']: 200 pages, hardcover, 2,000 copies full color: $14,800.00. How much are you willing to pay for that book? :)

Well I'm certainly willing to pay $7.40 ($14,800/2,000). ;)

Seriously, though, this quote doesn't mean much without some kind of information about how much of the cover price goes to printing and how much goes to distribution, the authors (:D ), artists, etc.

I'd certainly be willing to pay an extra $7.40 for full color hardcover over b/w paperback. But of course the color art is more expensive too...

Edited: Please note I am not trying to derail this thread. Steve & co. have made it very clear in other threads that color is not in the cards, and I'm fine with that. :D

I'd certainly be willing to pay an extra $7.40 for full color hardcover over b/w paperback. But of course the color art is more expensive too...

You wouldn't pay $7.40 more. You'd pay $18.99 more because DOJ only makes about 40%. So if it costs 7.40 to print and DOJ wants to make 6.60 in profit that means the book costs $35.00 before you start adding in full color art, writing, editing, shipping, layout, and all the other costs of the book. Each additional $5.00 in cost adds about $12.50 to the cover price.

Full color art?

Sorry, I held my tongue as long as I could.

One book. Just a try? One try is all I ask. An experiment? Please. Pretty please?

Not a jab at you, Jeff, just a curiosity.

I am curious when gamers started needing color? Certain companies would have us believe that it's the only way to do it, but the vast majority of gaming is perfectly fine without it.

I would much rather have the money go into useful stuff than gloss pages, color art, hard covers, etc.

Give me a companion sourcebook for Galactic Champions that goes into greater depth into what actually is out there in the Champions Universe.

Captain Emu does bring up a good point. I am certain someone must have mentioned this already but since this is the Champions Universe I would not mind seeing a little more of the Universe. I think a small section (but larger than the section that was devoted to it in the Champions Univerese I) on the other Alien worlds out there would do wonders for my game. I do wish for something a little more substantial than 'they look like reptiles with Laser guns' though.

But if the books are in colour, my crayons and I will have nothing to do but read.

Seriously, colour art is nifty, but I find a good black and white more expressive. Its also easier to copy so I don't have to hold up a book to show players a picture of someone.

I would like to see Grond feared like he was pre-FREd. He should have a 3 movement/body Speed with +3 Speed for his extra arms, or a 4 movement/body Speed with +4 Speed for his extra arms. His feared toughness should be on the level that Obelisque (Champions Worldwide, pp.121-2) is. Grond should be scarier than Gargantua as well.

I would like to see Grond feared like he was pre-FREd. He should have a 3 movement/body Speed with +3 Speed for his extra arms' date=' or a 4 movement/body Speed with +4 Speed for his extra arms. His feared toughness should be on the level that Obelisque ([b']Champions Worldwide[/b], pp.121-2) is. Grond should be scarier than Gargantua as well.

It's true that Grond is still being referenced in CU books like a Hulk-level powerhouse, when there are several CU bricks who could take him apart. The Ultimate Brick boosted him a little, but not that far.

FWIW in my own campaign I grafted most of the character sheet for Fracas, from Galactic Champions, onto Grond. STR 120 seems pretty respectable for him.

It's true that Grond is still being referenced in CU books like a Hulk-level powerhouse' date=' when there are several CU bricks who could take him apart. [i']The Ultimate Brick[/i] boosted him a little, but not that far.

FWIW in my own campaign I grafted most of the character sheet for Fracas, from Galactic Champions, onto Grond. STR 120 seems pretty respectable for him.

Fracas IS a beast no doubt. My plan is to use him as a beatstick....Doomsday style..in a later adventure...a test for the heroes.

Rob

Not a jab at you, Jeff, just a curiosity.

I am curious when gamers started needing color? Certain companies would have us believe that it's the only way to do it, but the vast majority of gaming is perfectly fine without it.

I would much rather have the money go into useful stuff than gloss pages, color art, hard covers, etc.

Give me a companion sourcebook for Galactic Champions that goes into greater depth into what actually is out there in the Champions Universe.

I've stated the reasons before, mainly since M&Ms production values starting blowing HERO system out of the water, this thread isn't the place for another debate. I'm just giving an answer to the original question. :)

I would like to see Grond feared like he was pre-FREd. He should have a 3 movement/body Speed with +3 Speed for his extra arms' date=' or a 4 movement/body Speed with +4 Speed for his extra arms. His feared toughness should be on the level that Obelisque ([b']Champions Worldwide[/b], pp.121-2) is. Grond should be scarier than Gargantua as well.

I agree. When Grond shows up in my M&M game players quake in fear [and he's only built on about 10 more points then them]. :)