(best ever)...reasons for becoming a supervillain!

Adventus

Re: (best ever)...reasons for becoming a supervillain!

Because across time and space, this world and others, I have seen that the universe hates heroism. Those who show some faith in humanity, and the world, that it can be something better, the lucky ones manage to die. The unlucky ones, they get to live to see their hopes and dreams crushed, their every sacrifice proven to be for naught, their heroism made mockery by the successes of the ruthless pragmatists around them.

This is as the universe is. This is not as the universe should be. If the universe so favors the pragmatist over the hero, then I shall be a pragmatist. I shall be so monstrous of a pragmatist that the very nature of that which I seek to change, shall aid me in my cause.

I envy you, heroes, you who have not seen how things are, who still hold to your faith and hope. Know this: yes, I am a monster. But the world I shall create will have no place for the likes of me. I do this not for me, but for you.

"For you, my Anya... for you, I shall unlock the doors of Death once more. And should I fail to recover you on my own... I shall be no Orpheus, shall not abandon you for my weakness. I shall send souls so innocent as yours screaming into the abyss, until the Gods of Death themselves are forced to throw open their doors and return you to me!"

Lord Gregor Dracula, The Last Dragon

Because across time and space, this world and others, I have seen that the universe hates heroism. Those who show some faith in humanity, and the world, that it can be something better, the lucky ones manage to die. The unlucky ones, they get to live to see their hopes and dreams crushed, their every sacrifice proven to be for naught, their heroism made mockery by the successes of the ruthless pragmatists around them.

This is as the universe is. This is not as the universe should be. If the universe so favors the pragmatist over the hero, then I shall be a pragmatist. I shall be so monstrous of a pragmatist that the very nature of that which I seek to change, shall aid me in my cause.

I envy you, heroes, you who have not seen how things are, who still hold to your faith and hope. Know this: yes, I am a monster. But the world I shall create will have no place for the likes of me. I do this not for me, but for you.

You must spread some reputation before giving it to Metaphysician again...

This is excellent.

What good is this chanting?

I don't even know what I'm reading!

I don't even know which trick I ought to try

Fiyero, where are you?

Already dead, or bleeding?

One more disaster I can add to my

Generous supply?

Unlimited

The damage is unlimited

To everyone I've tried to help

Or tried to love

And, oh, Fiyero, you're the latest

Victim of my greatest achievement

In a long career of distress

Every time I could, I tried making good

And what I made was a mess!

No good deed goes unpunished

No act of charity goes unresented

That's my new creed

My road of good intentions

Led where such roads always lead

No good deed

Goes unpunished!

One question haunts and hurts

Too much, too much to mention:

Was I really seeking good

Or just seeking attention?

Is that all good deeds are

When looked at with an ice-cold eye?

If that's all good deeds are

Maybe that's the reason why

All helpful urges should be circumvented

Sure, I meant well -

Well, look at what well-meant did:

All right, enough - so be it

So be it, then:

Let all Oz be agreed

I'm wicked through and through

Since I can not succeed

Fiyero, saving you

I promise no good deed

Will I attempt to do again

Ever again

No good deed

Will I do again!

http://www.nomorelyrics.net/song/148511.html

You must spread some reputation before giving it to Metaphysician again...

This is excellent.

Not mine. That was the motivation for the primary antagonist in the prior campaign run by my GM, Pendaran ( occasional poster here ). I just summarized.

The main thrust of the campaign turned out to be that the villain in question, Endymion, was ( amongst other things ) using the PCs as a test case/potential minions. He'd present a situation, or wait for a situation to occur, and then he'd see how they responded. . .

In the end, they chose the pragmatic choice often enough that not only did they prove his point, but he proved *his* point to *them*. . . to the extent that the endgame of the campaign consisted of them helping him in his task of remaking the universe.

Admittedly, that was a "villains" campaign, sort of ( its tough to explain ).

Edit: Here's a link to where I copy/pasted the campaign premise document.

Ancient Aberrant

Note that the campaign where Endymion appeared was a separate, prior, game. Essentially, what I am playing in is a reboot timeline, except with the PCs as Therans ( the originals were Heraclidae ). There are a number of differences, but this covers the basic setting as per campaign start. Endymion doesn't exist in our current campaign, btw; Pendaran figures, if nothing else, we could reasonably be counted on to make alot more heroic decisions than the previous cast.

I have seen the future and seen the world fall to outside enemies. If only we had had more heroes we might have prevailed. Just as a heroic presence triggers villains, a villainous presence triggers heroes. My villainy will strengthen the world's "immune response" necessary for the future.

The leaders of this world are cold eyed thieves and killers on a grand scale. The great nations were built by the labor of slaves on stolen land, and that slavery and theft continues today thinly disguised. We poison the oceans and the air and lie to hide our sins, even as the Earth screams, dying! Of course I strive to overthrow the monsters you serve; how could any good man do less?

"Villain? Villain?! With such a name you've given me, what then would be yours? Are you the Hero, now? What have I done that so offends you.. is it the Justice I've metered to the guilty? You and Your courts have HAD your chance, Heroes, and you let him FREE! You've known of his crimes, you've felt the Evil that he nurtured in his breast.... And STILL YOU DID NOTHING!

Bah! Heroes! What will you do? I stand before you, and I spit in your eye! As long as I draw breath, I swear you'll regret the day you let my Mariah die! I'LL KILL YOU ALL!!!!"

-CraterMaker

To become one with perhaps the greatest force in Nature; it pulls all things apart, ends all lives, drinks all energy. In the end, nothing can withstand it. No, not Chaos; Chaos spawned us all, but its spawn crystallize rigidly into vain patterns of temporary order. No, I shall become the ultimate opponent, that which can never be overthrown in the end. I shall become ... Entropy.

Not mine. That was the motivation for the primary antagonist in the prior campaign run by my GM, Pendaran ( occasional poster here ). I just summarized.

The main thrust of the campaign turned out to be that the villain in question, Endymion, was ( amongst other things ) using the PCs as a test case/potential minions. He'd present a situation, or wait for a situation to occur, and then he'd see how they responded. . .

In the end, they chose the pragmatic choice often enough that not only did they prove his point, but he proved *his* point to *them*. . . to the extent that the endgame of the campaign consisted of them helping him in his task of remaking the universe.

Admittedly, that was a "villains" campaign, sort of ( its tough to explain ).

Edit: Here's a link to where I copy/pasted the campaign premise document.

Ancient Aberrant

Note that the campaign where Endymion appeared was a separate, prior, game. Essentially, what I am playing in is a reboot timeline, except with the PCs as Therans ( the originals were Heraclidae ). There are a number of differences, but this covers the basic setting as per campaign start. Endymion doesn't exist in our current campaign, btw; Pendaran figures, if nothing else, we could reasonably be counted on to make alot more heroic decisions than the previous cast.

To be fair, some of the party went down opposing Endymion and everything he stood for to the very end. It was simply that other members of the party so /totally/ sold them out in a critical moment and in a way that completely chose Endymion, despite Endymion spelling out exactly what would happen.

Or, to be more accurate, they had two ways to resolve the big climactic end of campaign crisis. Endymion's way, which he spelled out would work, but also spelled would be atrocious and hand him every advantage he wanted, though it was the sure bet, and the other, riskier way. Some of the party ensured Endymion's way pulled out even as others went with faith and hope.

there was some denoument stuff after that, but it was basically acknowledged that Endymion now stood unopposed and so would proceed on to achieve his goals. We didn't actually carry forward to that point, and what would have actually happened would have been... interesting... but that was where things went.

So more accurately, the endgame was a great big widescale crisis that for Endymion, was basically both the conclusion of how far he was willing to let his particular worldview be tested, and handed him every advantage he would need to act on it.

Or: the way to beat Endymion is to prove him wrong. Villains and the darkly intented, darkly methodological really only prove him right, and with epic willpower twinned with epic intellect, he's going to continue to seek ways to triumph over the obstacles before him, and act on his goals. Proving him wrong robs him of his motivation and drive.