Superheores with Disabilites, a thought experiememnt

Karmakaze

In another forum entirely (in the course of discussing the new Batgirl), someone commented that one of the reasons she liked Oracle was that she's just about the only superhero with a disability whose superpower doesn't involve not being disabled anymore.

Consider Daredevil, who's blind, but probably wouldn't get any Complication points for it, once he's bought all those other Enhanced Senses. Or Cybog, who's technically missing several limbs, but has prostheses so good he might as well just be wearing shiny boots. Just about your only example is Professor Xavier, and he's really more of a mentor DNPC type.

What would be a viable concept for a hero with a disability that's not negated by his or her superpowers?

Re: Superheores with Disabilites, a thought experiememnt

I recall Storn showing an illustration in his Art & Characters thread of a woman using crutches with a poison (or disease)-touch power. Assumedly that would be an example.

The closest I ever came to the concept was a character for a white-event campaign, where the event that imbued the PCs with superpowers (a comet strike) left her legs paralyzed. She discovered she had telekinetic powers, but only displayed them in her alter ego. She hid the fact that she couldn't move her legs by always floating and otherwise mentally manipulating them.

How about deafness? No major combat or skill disadvantage most of the time, but won't be able to react to telltale noises, hear signals from his teammates, use common communications gear, plus lots of minor but frustrating social restrictions.

I once posted a write up for a Quadriplegic Kung Fu Master. It was a joke character, but he was playable, and only a slight exageration of the Cripled Master type in Chinese Wuxia. His real power was the ability to inspire his student (who did all the work) and still get the credit.

Zatoichi is one of the longest running franchises in Japanese movies, and a recent version had the role played by an actress (though it was implied that the character was Zatoichi's adopted daughter, rather than just a female version of the original character). Ichi is the Blind Swordsman, and while he is incredibly skilled (as is his daughter), his blindness does often cause problems.

The One Armed Swordsman is another variation on the Crippled Master type, though in that case the loss of an arm rarely seems to cause that many problems.

In another forum entirely (in the course of discussing the new Batgirl)' date=' someone commented that one of the reasons she liked Oracle was that she's just about the only superhero with a disability whose superpower doesn't involve not being disabled anymore.[/quote']

How often do you hear of anyone liking a character because the character is lame?

I had a one armed wizard once. All of his attack spells had a 14 or less activation, because he couldn't do the gestures properly. His defense and movement abilities were normal, mainly because I hate blowing a activation roll on flight when I'm at 40,000 feet.

Well, discounting the normal mental illness that is rife in the super-community...

There are a few Autistic superheros out there (Pathway from Alpha Flight, part of 'M' from Generation X, some incarnations of Mr. Fantastic), and that disability has possibilities as an impaired hero... even a realistic version of Savantism has possibilities for a wizard savant or gadgeteer savant.

Some brick type characters are arguably Mentally Retarded to some degree or another...

Elektra's OCD is played differently than the regular 'insane' archetype

How about deafness? No major combat or skill disadvantage most of the time' date=' but won't be able to react to telltale noises, hear signals from his teammates, use common communications gear, plus lots of minor but frustrating social restrictions.[/quote']

Hawkeye has impaired hearing but compensates with hearing aids.

Well, Daredevil's other enhanced senses may more than adequately compensate functionally for his lack of sight, and allow him to fight crime in ways a sighted person couldn't--but that doesn't mean his misses being able to see. He said something about it once to Ben Urich--I don't remember it perfectly, but it went something like, "I'm standing here in total darkness--I know where you are in the room, but I can't see the stars." He remembers being able to see, and he feels it as a loss.

The same could be said for Cyborg, I think. Maybe he might as well be wearing shiny gloves and boots, but they're shiny gloves and boots that he could never take off. Ever. Not to feel the touch of another person's hand, or warm wet sand beneath his feet. On the other hand, I remember a segment on 60 Minutes about a DARPA prototype for an artificial arm that was controlled by pressure on foot switches. The guy who was trying it out said that for the first time since he'd lost his original, he felt like he had an arm again. So I guess it depends on the user.

As for the original question--having a different-than-human form could be considered, for lack of a better word, a disabilty. Look at Benjamin J. Grimm--he's one of the strongest men in the Marvel Universe, and his strength is matched only by his indestructability. But his hands and fingers are so large that he can't use any appliances or devices designed for human hands, and he weighs so much that he can't use elevators or anything else with a low weight limitation, or sit on furniture that isn't specially reinforced. And of course, not looking like everyone else means that everyone else is staring at him and pointing and saying, "What's wrong with him?"

Now not everyone with a different-than-human form need have the same problems--Kurt Wagner and Hank McCoy, for example, can use the tools and devices of the rest of the world with little difficulty. But they still have to deal with people staring at them.

Being gigantic or tiny can be a "disability" as well. Most of the civilized world is made for people about five feet eight inches tall, give or take a few inches, and if you're much taller or shorter you can expect to be inconvenienced regularly. And if you happen be twelve feet tall--or twelve inches--those inconveniences can become major hassles. No regular furniture can accomodate you, and forget about buying clothes off the rack. (At least the twelve-inch-tall guy can shop in the action figure department, provided he doesn't mind combat boots and equipment made of molded plastic.) Doorways present all sorts of problems, as does anything indoors. And then there are crowds--you're either worrying about trampling someone underfoot, or being trampled underfoot.

Hope that helps.

Look at Benjamin J. Grimm--he's one of the strongest men in the Marvel Universe, and his strength is matched only by his indestructability. But his hands and fingers are so large that he can't use any appliances or devices designed for human hands, and he weighs so much that he can't use elevators or anything else with a low weight limitation, or sit on furniture that isn't specially reinforced.

IIRC, Ben only weighs about 400 lbs., which probably rules out wicker furniture and bean bags but not elevators, sturdy couches and chairs, or even bar stools. Your point stands regarding finger size and the stares of others, though. I also imagine that the rocky nature of his armored skin means almost no touch sensitivity, and therefore the lack of enjoyment of things like a warm bath, cold rag across the forehead on a hot day, or various... other tactile pleasures.

IIRC' date=' Ben only weighs about 400 lbs., which probably rules out wicker furniture and bean bags but not elevators, sturdy couches and chairs, or even bar stools. Your point stands regarding finger size and the stares of others, though. I also imagine that the rocky nature of his armored skin means almost no touch sensitivity, and therefore the lack of enjoyment of things like a warm bath, cold rag across the forehead on a hot day, or various... other tactile pleasures.[/quote']

Hey!! What a man does with a jackhammer in the privacy of his own room is nobody else's business :ugly::idjit::nonp:

There was a villain, "The Armless Tiger Man" who I believe was Marvel. DC had brother martial arts masters one who lacked arms and one who lacked legs. However...these were often minor characters. Professor X has been wheelchair bound most of his career. Super heroic fantasy doesn't' generally make for stories of physically limited people as it is a physically demanding job (IMO)

And Oracle was a neat character, but to tell the truth it always seemed kind of silly considering the super tech and resources at the disposal of those closest to Oracle and Oracle her self. She basically had to chose to remain wheelchair bound. She also wasn't a field agent...as far as I know.