Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

• 2 weeks later...

My wife ordered zinc oxide the other day to make our own sun screen. I didn't get a good look at the bag and thought it was a bag of salt (a real quick glance was all I took). The company had Essential in the name. I honestly thought for a moment someone had the bad taste to send "Essential Salts."

• 1 month later...

I walk into the seminar room/departmental library while the department's nuclear theorist is talking with the two students she's mentoring this summer.

Her: "Can we sell you some strangeness?"

Me: (pause) "I usually think of myself as a source rather than a consumer of strangeness."

("Strangeness" is the official term for one of subnuclear quantum states that nuclear particles can have.)

My sons were watching an episode of little House on the Prairie. Pa was helping a young widow with home repairs in exchange for her unneeded china. This was to be a surprise. However, the girls saw him at her house, and Pa was very evasive.

One of the girls described her (after Pa left) as "a Black Widow."

My youngest said, "Natasha!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...