Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Room mate L.'s girlfriend N. is English - from Birmingham, to be precise. She had a lot to say about that there Fox News "expert", most of which sadly must be represented by bleeps.

We're talking about the fool or bald-faced liar (not sure which he was) who thought he could get away with proclaiming Birmingham a "Moslem city" where non-Moslems were excluded?

Yeah, my feelings are probably about the same.

Lucius Alexander

No really, it's a penguin!

"Papa, why is piano easy for me, but school hard? I want be smart all the time. I want know everything."

I'll take conversations that make you die a little for $1000, Alex.

Lucy has congenital rubella.  Neither of the things she wants are possible for any of us, but they are much much harder for her.

If it's any consolation, BoneDaddy, there's a decent chance that having to work harder to learn will make her better prepared in the long run.  Give her better study skills, help her find ways to retain things better, than someone to whom learning comes easy.  And she won't take education for granted like many do. 

And having someone on her side, like it's apparent that she does, is not something to discount either.

Congenital Rubella is a great reason to get your shots.  It nukes the auditory processing and language processing functions of the brain.  Lucy was exposed at a better (relatively speaking) period of gestation such that she is not deaf, and in fact is quite good at the piano, far out of what her other cognitive abilities appear to be. We can't get her reading up to the third grade level, where one stops learning to read and begins reading to learn.  She can memorize almost any word and match it to its definition with tremendous facility, but she has so much more trouble connecting those words together that she is a great speller and functional illiterate. 

She is making tremendous progress.  But things (other than piano) are unlikely to ever be easy for her.  She likes to draw, she likes to watch movies of course, and she likes legos.  I think legos are appealing because the instructions have no words.

"Papa, why is piano easy for me, but school hard? I want be smart all the time. I want know everything."

I'll take conversations that make you die a little for $1000, Alex.

Lucy has congenital rubella.  Neither of the things she wants are possible for any of us, but they are much much harder for her.

I can't even imagine how I'd answer that.

Lucius Alexander

I'd give her a palindromedary if I thought it would help.