Tropes Revisited: Beautiful Female Martial Artist. Ideas sought

death tribble

As stated in the other Tropes revisited thread, I intend commissioning a picture of a beautiful female martial artist as that came out as one of the favourites in the Tropes thread from a couple of years ago.

So now we seek ideas (NOT stats !) for what said woman will look like.

What it did not say was that it had to be Oriental. Please decribe the outfit which should not be a bikini/swimsuit.

Chun Li is an example of what I would term as a beautiful female martial artist.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tropes Revisited: Beautiful Female Martial Artist. Ideas sought

When I think of "beautiful female martial artist," for some reason I picture a Chinese woman with hip-length white hair.

For a costume that is neither bikini nor classic martial arts "uniform," I'd suggest tight leather pants and a halter top, both black.

Able to fight in a modern environment but otherwise it is all good.

Xavier. Fencing is a martial art in my book.

Karma. Yeah that certainly fits the bill.

And Bob I never said it could not be standard martial arts uniform.

It could be something plain or something like a kimino with very colourful decoration.

The ladies from the matrix wore leather coats over leather pants and shirts.

Most girl fighters that I have seen from animation and managa tend to wear school uniforms, school uniform based costumes, or something close to a uniform for a job. (Kigome, Sailor Moon, power rangers)

Sometimes the style makes the uniform.

CES

Other tropes -- long hair, form-fitting clothing, flowing sleeves, sash for a belt, knee-high boots. Glasses option, but would be a nice touch.

Also, formal samurai court dress modded up into a supers costume would be a pretty cool concept.

db-1.png

I recently did a drawing for a female vampire martial artist called Death Blossom. She has pale skin and wears a traditional chinese fighters tunic and trousers along with sandels. I haven't done any background on her, but I'm leaning towards Chinese-American.

And Bob I never said it could not be standard martial arts uniform.
No, that was my own preference. The standard uniform seems to me a bit cliche'd.

The outfit I suggested has been described by female cosplayers as the ideal outfit for a highly active superheroine, for purposes of comfort as well as style. I also liked how Basura looked in the second season of Who Wants to Be a Superhero?, so I thought, why not?

There are multiple "trope" outfits:

The Chun-Li look; bare thighs, g-string with hint of a miniskirt of kimono with the "bun", cleavage, etc.

The Black Leather Bad Ass: Tight, black leather, possibly a utility belt or bandoleer, weapons, etc. Think Black Widow or Electra.

The True Martial Artist: Gi (sexy or no), cloth belt, simple shoes or bare footed, etc.

Other alternates might be the School Girl, the tight pants and halter top mentioned above, etc.

Personally, I prefer the Black Widow look, myself.

If you want to go against the grain of utilitarian or cheesecake-y looks, perhaps the brightly colored flowing robes from Hero would be good inspiration:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37747[/ATTACH]

Or while I'm on a Zhang Ziyi kick, perhaps something ornate like in House of Flying Daggers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37748[/ATTACH]

As stated in the other Tropes revisited thread, I intend commissioning a picture of a beautiful female martial artist as that came out as one of the favourites in the Tropes thread from a couple of years ago.

So now we seek ideas (NOT stats !) for what said woman will look like.

What it did not say was that it had to be Oriental. Please decribe the outfit which should not be a bikini/swimsuit.

Chun Li is an example of what I would term as a beautiful female martial artist.

I strongly suggest a cheongsam--the form-fitting chinese-style dress with the stand-up collar (as seen here: http://www.bychinese.com/chinese-cheongsam-qipao.html)

They're elegant, show off the figure but don't have to reveal a lot of skin, and come in a galaxy of colors and patterns. With slits on the side to permit our martial artist to do high kicks and leaps, it's good to go.