Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I've played & owned cards' date=' though not for many years. In a way, it's too bad. I actually like the mechanics and gameplay of a lot of customizable card games... I just don't like the continually-expanding play environment that you have to keep buying cards in order to keep up with. I wish someone would make a CCG -- even if it had a sizable buy-in price -- that sold a decent-sized set of cards to use and choose from in building your decks, but that wasn't "collectible"." (In other words, where everyone had the same collection of cards available, and the strategy lay entirely in how they built and played their decks... not in the imbalance created by having unequal resources available to them.)[/quote']

Shadowfist has done a pretty good job of expanding its card pool over the past 15 years without showing too much power creep. Decks that were competitive in '96 still are today.

Maybe you didn't like The Lord of the Rings...

Its not such a secret. I've said on these very boards that, while I admire Tolkein's remarkable talent for world-building, I think Lord of the Rings was horribly paced, more than a little boring, and revolved around an annoying protagonist.

Yeah I agree. X-Files was just another monster of the week kind of scifi' date=' wrapped in an Anti-Government wrapper.... Government. The X-Files was kind of boring.[/quote']

I think the X-Files couldn't make up its mind whether is was a monster-of-the-week or government conspiracy mega-plot show. It vacillated back and forth and drew the latter out for way too many seasons. At the same time, it did create some iconic characters, crystallized a genre later shows did better, and had some very good monster of the week episodes.

I really enjoyed M:TG' date=' but I basically gave up on it when phasing came in. I could deal with Flight, Trample, First Strike, but phasing was just...ridiculous, I guess. I think they've added more mechanisms by now, too.[/quote']

Oh, definitely. Nothing anywhere near as complicated as phasing, though.

Let's see,

Its a rare thing for me to find a fantasy or science fiction novel I can stand.

Dune must die. Interesting concepts... by the story was as dry as the planet it took place on.

2001 was pretentious, boring trash that typified its era.

Star Wars was great before puberty (I was 11 when Jedi came out). As an adult I find it utterly banal.

Star Trek is too preachy, inconsistent, and given to populist pseudo-ethics for me to enjoy. Its also a canon nightmare.

I liked much of DS9, Wrath of Khan, the last season of Enterprise, and think the reboot was a great popcorn film, but other trek... please no.

Tolkein was a great world builder and horrible story teller.

Moorcock and Lieber and ERB are simply boring.

I find Terry Pratchett's books sophomoric and George RR Martin gratuitious in terms of cynicism and grit.

I do enjoy REH, but his western, southern horror, boxing, and sailor stories are better than his Conan stuff.

My "fantasy" was born from being read classics and folklore from a very young age.

I was read Beowulf, Homer, Chaucer, the Robin Hood Ballads, Mallory as a child - my mother made it interesting.

These days I'm re-reading the above with great enjoyment, plus Shakespeare.

When I do genre fiction its almost always crime / police procedural / historical stuff. No fantasy or science fiction.

I love Bernard Knight and Patrick O'Brien. My guilty pleasures are Ed McBain and James Ellroy.

I cannot stand paranomral romance and urban fantasy. I find both utterly banal. Do not date the monsters.

Cosplay and Larping are right out. Renfair can be fun in small doses, but I don't dress up or speak faux shakespearean English.

I don't play video games and don't want to.

I don't do card or board games. One exception: INWO, but only once in a blue moon.

I don't do manga or anime or superhero comics. I will read non-superhero comics if they are well done.

Some French and German medieval comics are very impressive.

Shadowfist has done a pretty good job of expanding its card pool over the past 15 years without showing too much power creep. Decks that were competitive in '96 still are today.
But the card pool expansion bothers me as much as the power creep does. If player A has 200 unique cards to build decks from, and player B only has 100, then player A has a considerable advantage, even if all the cards individually are well-balanced against each other. :)

Oh yeah - I don't play board games. Regular Hasbro or Parker brothers types' date=' or European ones like Ticket to Ride or Settlers. Just don't like games where the players play against each other.[/quote']

You might like a cooperative game called Pandemic. The players work together to try to save the world from several viruses before the pandemic clock runs out. 2 to 4 players, 45 minutes to an hour. I enjoy it.

You might like a cooperative game called Pandemic. The players work together to try to save the world from several viruses before the pandemic clock runs out. 2 to 4 players' date=' 45 minutes to an hour. I enjoy it.[/quote']

Great recommendation! I just added it to my Amazon wish list.

Alas, I must spread Rep yadda yadda yadda. A little help, someone?

I though being married to a goddess like Aphrodite would have forever denied me any Geek Cred in the first place. :cool:

Possibly' date=' but you have great Greek Cred.[/quote']

His Roman cred, however, is shot to hell, since they're wondering what Vulcan is doing with Aphrodite instead of Venus... :winkgrin: