Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I've beat my head against the first Thomas Covenant book multiple times due to friend recommendations and I just can't make it through.

Since I first stated that I've never read Harry Dresden, I've since read Fool Moon (the second one.) Decent enough read, although the books are set in Vanilla City not Chicago like they pretend. My wife really wants me to run a Dresden-ish game for her so I had to have some idea what she was really asking for. Is the short-lived tv show any better?

Re Dresden: Keep in mind that the Dresden stories are really superhero stories without the cape, and they flow better. In Fool Moon there was a classic confrontation: The Loup Garou was rampaging through the police station (I mean "Through" as in Wall? CLAWWW!, Another wall? Clawwww!) when Harry knocked him into the next building. Classic Brick vs Energy Projector. Also, don't read the book currently on the shelves until you've read the last one, at least. The book before the current one ends on a cliffhanger, and the one on sale now is a massive RESET. Not a bad reset, but it really changes things.

Also, the books are told from Harry's POV. Check out some of the short stories to see how ignorant Harry is about what is really going on.

On topic, another Not!geek moment. I truly disliked Dune. I commented on that to a fellow SF reader who was aghast:

"Didn't you like the whole galaxy the books describe?"

"Sure. It would have been great if they had found a better writer to tell the story." :ugly:

Well' date=' the good news, then, is that the BBC provided you with an excellent jumping-on point by putting the series in limbo for about a decade. Start with the new series (available on netflix) Series 1 (2005), with Eccleston as the Doctor. 13 episodes, each 45 minutes, with a smattering of references to earlier continuity that are pretty easy to ignore. He gets a new sidekick and pretty much spends the first couple of episodes telling her all the audience needs to know. That'll tell you whether you have a taste for the rest of it. (Don't get too attached to Eccleston, though, 'cause that's all there is of him.) If you like it, continue forward with Series 2-5, and in the meantime I'd be delighted to help you find the best of the older stuff as well. You're right, there's fifty years of story there, but you don't *need* it. Kind of like Hero, actually. :) dw[/quote']

Well, I'm happy to say that my dirty little geek secret is no more! Thanks to Darren's recommendation, I've now started watching the 2005 series of Doctor Who. :) Only six episodes in at this point, but I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely can be quirky at times (and not always in a good way), and occasional plot holes you could drive a TARDIS through, but there's something magnetic about it that keeps you coming back. Certainly unlike any other show I can recall, in terms of general tone and feel... :)

Well' date=' I'm happy to say that my dirty little geek secret is no more! Thanks to Darren's recommendation, I've now started watching the 2005 series of Doctor Who. :) Only six episodes in at this point, but I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely can be quirky at times (and not [b']always[/b] in a good way), and occasional plot holes you could drive a TARDIS through, but there's something magnetic about it that keeps you coming back. Certainly unlike any other show I can recall, in terms of general tone and feel... :)

:cheers:

Well' date=' there are tournament formats for booster drafts, or for taking a starter and X number of boosters and building a deck on the spot. Those still introduce some luck, but test your on the spot deck building skills (vs. copying a popular deck style) and tend to even the field. On the plus side, you usually get to keep the cards after it's over.[/quote']

Trust me, I know the formats. I managed a game/comic shop for 5 years. :)

I just don't like draft. I like constructed, and I like access to all the playing pieces. I'm not a competitive player, I just play for fun... well played - it's been years since I looked at magic.

I'm currently reading the last book.

I haven't read the 3rd book in the last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant yet. I'm going to wait for the 4th book, and read them all straight through. I've read books 1 and 2 though.

One of the bits I really liked about the start of that series - when Linden realized that she was going back to the land- the first thing she does? Gets a really nice pair of hiking books and some really tough jeans. I loved that.

The book before the current one ends on a cliffhanger' date=' and the one on sale now is a massive RESET. Not a bad reset, but it really changes things.[/quote']

Reset wouldn't be the term I'd use - to me reset implies "return to the way it was" and Changes +GS was defiantly not that. :D

One of the bits I really liked about the start of that series - when Linden realized that she was going back to the land- the first thing she does? Gets a really nice pair of hiking books and some really tough jeans. I loved that.

Agreed. That scene really made me grin. I have the second book (of the Final series) but I haven't read it yet; I want to be able to read the whole series all the way through. Let me know when the final book is out, will ya? :)

Reset wouldn't be the term I'd use - to me reset implies "return to the way it was" and Changes +GS was defiantly not that. :D

I disagree with you, therefore, by internet rules you are WRONG!!!! :eg:

"Retool" or "Radiation Accident" might be better.

What I mean is that

1) The events up through GS allow most of the accumulated dangling and tired sub plots to be retired.

2) Harry has, in DnD terms, "shaken hands with a spectre." He's been knocked back from "cosmic" to "street" level experience wise.

Basically, Dresdenverse has jelled, and Harry is now, again, a Wizard PI; but to give just one example his relationship with his Fairy Godmother has been defined.

OK, back on our regular topic: I liked Andromeda, all except for the very last season. Even I thought that one stunk.

Well' date=' I'm happy to say that my dirty little geek secret is no more! Thanks to Darren's recommendation, I've now started watching the 2005 series of Doctor Who. :) Only six episodes in at this point, but I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely can be quirky at times (and not [b']always[/b] in a good way), and occasional plot holes you could drive a TARDIS through, but there's something magnetic about it that keeps you coming back. Certainly unlike any other show I can recall, in terms of general tone and feel... :)

Yeah, that's about my take on it too, and I've loved the series since childhood. As you might imagine, there's an entire collection of fanwankery explaining the various plot holes throughout the series to rival anything Roy Thomas ever imagined, but thankfully for the most part the actual producers of the show have blithely ignored it and continued to sail forward. You still have "Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" yet this season (current show runner Steven Moffat's first take on the show), so let me know what you thought of that. If you're still into it at the end of season 1, I might give you a couple of old ones to watch before season 2 so you can fully appreciate the wonderful return of an old character from the 70s when she arrives. dw

I disagree with you, therefore, by internet rules you are WRONG!!!! :eg:

"Retool" or "Radiation Accident" might be better.

What I mean is that

1) The events up through GS allow most of the accumulated dangling and tired sub plots to be retired.

2) Harry has, in DnD terms, "shaken hands with a spectre." He's been knocked back from "cosmic" to "street" level experience wise.

Basically, Dresdenverse has jelled, and Harry is now, again, a Wizard PI; but to give just one example his relationship with his Fairy Godmother has been defined.

OK, back on our regular topic: I liked Andromeda, all except for the very last season. Even I thought that one stunk.

I can see that.

I think the first season of Andromeda some of the best SF TV out there.

Agreed. That scene really made me grin. I have the second book (of the Final series) but I haven't read it yet; I want to be able to read the whole series all the way through. Let me know when the final book is out' date=' will ya? :)[/quote']

He's been about 2 years between books on this series and the 3rd one came out about a year ago, so late this year or early next I suspect. I hit his website's forum. I'll let ya know. :)

As for really destroying geek Cred..I think its perfectly rational that Han didn't shoot first. Lucan got that better the second time around. Han, snivelling little cowardly smuggler that he was was scared silyl of Jabba. He did want to try and pay and get pout of trouble. Starting a shootout with hirelings, or even freelancers working for Jabbas bounty waasn't going to make that easier.

and Ewoks are ok with me. And Empire strikes back was the weakest of the original three movies.

Dune..boring. Dr Who..just not interesting at all. There..enough damage?

I don't know if this is geek cred or anti-geek cred (or neutral), but I hate televised sports. Just hate them. The surest way to drive me out of a room is to turn on "the game." Funny thing is, I don't mind attending sporting events -- I actually like going to them. But turn them on TV and it's Goodbye Bunneh.

I don't mind watching sports -- so long as my teams aren't involved. I am the worst sort of fair-weather fan and I'm still doing my damnedest to not take losing personal, but it's a horrible mindset that's been ingrained in me since I was a kid. If the Pats weren't in the Super Bowl, I would be fine watching the game with other people. Now that they're in, I'm staying home. I can't risk losing control in front of other people -- win or lose. :(

I don't know if this is geek cred or anti-geek cred (or neutral)' date=' but I hate televised sports. Just hate them. The surest way to drive me out of a room is to turn on "the game." Funny thing is, I don't mind attending sporting events -- I actually like going to them. But turn them on TV and it's Goodbye Bunneh.[/quote']

*takes notes*