Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I guess I got tired of life after about 4 episodes.

Yeah I agree. X-Files was just another monster of the week kind of scifi, wrapped in an Anti-Government wrapper. Basically a show of the Reagan era where people were taught to distrust the Government. The X-Files was kind of boring

I do have to admit that I had a fun run of a Champions game based on that kind of Government Distrust. The world was basically CU till the end of the WWII. At the end of the war and during the Red Scare, the government rounded up all of the Supers who wouldn't play nice and quiet (and work with the government). Those rounded up were frozen using nazi-UFO tech and placed in secret facilities all over the US. The PCs were a group of people empowered by a cross dimensional event. The PC's eventually found and set free all of the Superhumans in one cataclysmic event at the main holding facility.

I liked the episode of of Babylon 5: Crusade that made fun of the X-Files better than any episode of X-Files I ever watched.

First of all, Repped.

Second, I seem to recall that JMS wanted to use David Duchovny and Dana Scully as Psi Cops in a one-off episode during the unfortunate 5th season, but couldn't get the scheduling to work. That would have been cool. :thumbup:

Okay, here's to destroying my music geek cred:

I think Paul McCartney was a better songwriter than John Lennon. ("Yesterday", "Hey Jude", "Eleanor Rigby", etc.)

Certainly I think McCartney's a better writer of music than Lennon. Lennon might (or might not) be a better writer of lyrics. But honestly, I think anyone who'd try to claim that Lennon was the better writer of music is just kidding themselves...

Yeah I agree. X-Files was just another monster of the week kind of scifi' date=' wrapped in an Anti-Government wrapper. [/quote']

I liked the Monster/Serial Killer of the Week episodes, but the government conspiracy episodes just got dumber and dumber as the series went on. They stopped making sense after a while. I was like, "Did Chris Carter think about any of this stuff before he just started throwing things at the screen?" After watching the first X-Files movie, I think the answer was definitively "No, he did not."

I posted this in "What's Your Geek Cred?" but Ozymandias thinks it more properly belongs here. So...

I acknowledge the existence of Highlander 2.

*ducks*

Your palate is much more robust than mine. To me, watching Highlander 2 is like eating road kill coyote off the road.

I've never played a CCG. I can't say I've never owned a deck though... IIRC it was called "Jihad" and I won it in a random-draw raffle. I think I ended up giving the deck to Goodwill after it sat on my shelf' date=' untouched and unopened, for a couple of months.[/quote']

Guess what you're getting for next year's secret santa present!

I've never played a CCG. I can't say I've never owned a deck though... IIRC it was called "Jihad" and I won it in a random-draw raffle. I think I ended up giving the deck to Goodwill after it sat on my shelf' date=' untouched and unopened, for a couple of months.[/quote']I've played & owned cards, though not for many years. In a way, it's too bad. I actually like the mechanics and gameplay of a lot of customizable card games... I just don't like the continually-expanding play environment that you have to keep buying cards in order to keep up with. I wish someone would make a CCG -- even if it had a sizable buy-in price -- that sold a decent-sized set of cards to use and choose from in building your decks, but that wasn't "collectible"." (In other words, where everyone had the same collection of cards available, and the strategy lay entirely in how they built and played their decks... not in the imbalance created by having unequal resources available to them.)

I've played & owned cards' date=' though not for many years. In a way, it's too bad. I actually like the mechanics and gameplay of a lot of customizable card games... I just don't like the continually-expanding play environment that you have to keep buying cards in order to keep up with. I wish someone would make a CCG -- even if it had a sizable buy-in price -- that sold a decent-sized set of cards to use and choose from in building your decks, but that wasn't "collectible"." (In other words, where everyone had the same collection of cards available, and the strategy lay entirely in how they built and played their decks... not in the imbalance created by having unequal resources available to them.)[/quote']

Have you ever seen the game Dominion? It sounds like it is exactly what you, and many others, are looking for.

I've played & owned cards' date=' though not for many years. In a way, it's too bad. I actually like the mechanics and gameplay of a lot of customizable card games... I just don't like the continually-expanding play environment that you have to keep buying cards in order to keep up with. I wish someone would make a CCG -- even if it had a sizable buy-in price -- that sold a decent-sized set of cards to use and choose from in building your decks, but that wasn't "collectible"." (In other words, where everyone had the same collection of cards available, and the strategy lay entirely in how they built and played their decks... not in the imbalance created by having unequal resources available to them.)[/quote']

THIS. I would so buy that. In fact almost everyone I know who quit playing CCGs because of the never ending cost would buy that.

Here's the manufacturer's website. And the description they have up there:

You are a monarch, like your parents before you, a ruler of a small pleasant kingdom of rivers and evergreens. Unlike your parents, however, you have hopes and dreams! You want a bigger and more pleasant kingdom, with more rivers and a wider variety of trees. You want a Dominion! In all directions lie fiefs, freeholds, and feodums. All are small bits of land, controlled by petty lords and verging on anarchy. You will bring civilization to these people, uniting them under your banner.

But wait! It must be something in the air; several other monarchs have had the exact same idea. You must race to get as much of the unclaimed land as possible, fending them off along the way. To do this you will hire minions, construct buildings, spruce up your castle, and fill the coffers of your treasury. Your parents wouldn’t be proud, but your grandparents, would be delighted.

There is a wide variety of potential types of cards that you can use to construct your deck, those types shared among all the players and varying from game to game. You try to amass gold to acquire resources to amass more gold and so on to prove you are the most worthy. The cards you gain are added to your customizeable deck and you will make several passes through, shuffling up whenever it's exhausted. You have to add holdings to your deck to acquire enough victory points to win but those cards are dead draws. The endgame doesn't come until IIRC 3 piles of potential cards are completely exhausted. Once you get the hang of things the game plays extremely quickly, like 30-60 minutes. Elegant and addictive.

Illuminati: New World Order had both a random system of starter/booster packs, and a "One of Everything" box. Unlike Magic: The Gathering's original box (which had unique borders around the cards), there was a note that stated that all of the cards were perfectly legal to use in tournament play. Steve Jackson Games also sold blank INWO cards, to allow folks to make their own custom cards.

JoeG

I've never played a CCG nor even touched a deck.

I only started when I worked at a comic/RPG/CCG store, and it was good customer service to have a deck or two handy to play when someone came in. Of course anyone in the store as a customer or at the register always took precedence (and I let anyone I was gaming with of this rule, so I'd drop my hand in the middle of turn and everything went on hold).