Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Tolkein is a crappy writer. Just absolutely terrible. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy is trash.

I don't like Star Trek. With the exception of the latest (reboot-ish) movie I find all the various incarnations insipid trash with bad writers.

I also find most Superhero Gaming to be boring.

I watch GoT for Peter Dinklage only. He was the only character I was interested in from the books, which I stopped following just as I began book 3 borrowed from a friend and he told me it would years before the next one came out.

I don't think I have ever played on a home gaming console, and the last time I played an arcade videogame was sometime in the mid 90s.

I've never read a Harry Potter book, and have only paid to see a couple of the movies out of boredom on the weekends they were opening.

I pretty much lost interest in Dr. Who after David Tennant left the role. (Glad it's still doing well, but don't care to watch and hearing people wax rhapsodic about the Ponds does nothing to change that.)

Do not care for most anime or manga. My appreciation of Japanese culture is reserved for the cuisine.

I only went to see Avatar because Sigourney Weaver had a supporting role. The "groundbreaking" 3D effects might as well have been projected images from a kaleidoscope as far as I'm concerned. And there are expanses of blank wall in my apartment with more depth and charisma than Sam Worthington.

I estimate I have watched a grand total of 5 minutes of Dr Who in my life. I do not plan to ever add to that total. I've read Hitchhiker's Guide, but can't see any real entertainment value in it.

I have not read any Harry Potter, nor been to any of the movies. I have seen two on tv, and was only mildly impressed. I just can't get into shows and books with kids and young teens as the main characters. I've seen even less of the Percy Jackson stuff.

Haven't played a arcade game in >20 years that I can recall. Have never owned a game console, and don't plan to do so. The newest computer game I own is about 10 years old. While I loved MUDS back in the day, I refuse to play any of the graphical MMORPGs.

I will own a smart phone someday....but only because they will eventually stop making real phones. I don't use any social media, and send texts only under duress. If I need the internet, I'll use a desktop computer with a real monitor. I actually prefer to use my phone to actually, you know, talk to people.

Never bothered watching Game of Thrones.

I loved the first GoT book, but things got so dark so fast I gave up around the 3rd or 4th book. I forget. Somebody get just Jon Snow's story collected and I'll read that. And maybe Sansa's story. (BTW, like the world but hate the characters? There are some really good Hedge Knight stories around that are set ~70 years before Game of Thrones)

Loved the first two or three books of Wheel of Time. Gave up around the seventh book, I think it was.

I read the first two books of Lord of the Rings, but I have never finished Return of the King. The world is amazing, and the alternate languages, but the actual writing and dialogue are lacking and I just sort of gave up.

I might not have the attention span for tabletop RPGs anymore. After two or three hours' date=' tops, I start to get antsy unless combat is happening.[/quote']

I know the feeling. Not sure if it's short attention span or general burnout, but for quite some time my gaming group was just doing board/card games, and I was perfectly all right with that. I think I may actually have preferred it.

• 1 year later...

While I can't normally get into young adult fiction and teen protagonists, I do enjoy Percy Jackson. This is, in part, because I was a mythology geek as a kid. I read Edith Hamilton for the first time when I was 10!. Greek & Norse Myth, and Arthurian & Robin Hood tales, folktales & monster folklore are what formed my "fantasy consciousness." I can't stand Tolkein, and only discovered REH later. But, the other big part of it is that my 11 year old absolutely loves Percy Jackson -- and we are using it for the basis of a game. Her character is a "half-blood"... the daughter of Artemis. And, yes, I know Artemis is traditionally a "virgin" goddesss. Leaving aside debates over interpretation, or the fact that both Hera and Aphrodite (!) renewed their virginity yearly, the franchise already established Athena -- another virgin goddess -- has a daughter.

While I can't normally get into young adult fiction and teen protagonists, I do enjoy Percy Jackson. This is, in part, because I was a mythology geek as a kid. I read Edith Hamilton for the first time when I was 10!. Greek & Norse Myth, and Arthurian & Robin Hood tales, folktales & monster folklore are what formed my "fantasy consciousness." I can't stand Tolkein, and only discovered REH later. But, the other big part of it is that my 11 year old absolutely loves Percy Jackson -- and we are using it for the basis of a game. Her character is a "half-blood"... the daughter of Artemis. And, yes, I know Artemis is traditionally a "virgin" goddesss. Leaving aside debates over interpretation, or the fact that both Hera and Aphrodite (!) renewed their virginity yearly, the franchise already established Athena -- another virgin goddess -- has a daughter.

easy answer for being a daughter of Artemis -- virgin birth! :D 

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!! GoT really lost me with Sean Bean leaving. I continually watch it out of the perverse sadism waiting for the attack from the North and the East.

still waiting for these two attacks. maybe next year. 

and the Red Wedding lost me again (so that is like two or three times now) and I'll still watch S04 due to sadism on my part.