Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Disdain all Star Trek without William Shatner.

Disdain all Batman without Adam West.

If Dirk Benedict isn't in it, it's not Battlestar Galactica.

Don't believe Frank Miller's Daredevil or Batman were any good.

Never liked the X-men comic book.

These don't count. Being apathetic toward something beloved by geeks might lower your geek cred, but turning your nose up at it can actually increase it. Unless you're turning your nose up at it just because it's beloved by others. Then you're just a pretentious schmuck. :winkgrin:

I've heard (but I'm not sure how true this is) that the reason the last 20 minutes or so of 2001 don't make sense is that you're supposed to read the final chapter of Clarke's book while that scene is happening. The book and the movie were both created together, and neither one works correctly without the other. They decided that the ideas contained in the last part of the book were too big/complicated to put on screen. Having read that chapter while the movie was running, I can tell you that it actually works pretty well.

Of course, it may be that the writer and the director were being pretentious art-house pricks when they came up with that conceit...

.... Then you're just a pretentious schmuck. :winkgrin:

Ooh! Ooh! Is there a badge for that? I want the badge! Please send me the badge! I'll be ever so good! Watch this: I hate Dr.WhoStarTrekStarWarsBabylon5ThunderCatsProjectUFOTheThreeStoogesGoToTheMoonGattacaDuneHonorverseConanDahlgrenFireOnTheDeepGameofThronesLordoftheRingsBoredoftheRingsHarnMunchkins! I hate them ever so much. Grr! That's me hating them!

Now where's my badge?

Ooh! Ooh! Is there a badge for that? I want the badge! Please send me the badge! I'll be ever so good! Watch this: I hate Dr.WhoStarTrekStarWarsBabylon5ThunderCatsProjectUFOTheThreeStoogesGoToTheMoonGattacaDuneHonorverseConanDahlgrenFireOnTheDeepGameofThronesLordoftheRingsBoredoftheRingsHarnMunchkins! I hate them ever so much. Grr! That's me hating them!

Now where's my badge?

First you have to say "I liked them back before they were popular."

I've heard (but I'm not sure how true this is) that the reason the last 20 minutes or so of 2001 don't make sense is that you're supposed to read the final chapter of Clarke's book while that scene is happening. The book and the movie were both created together' date=' and neither one works correctly without the other. They decided that the ideas contained in the last part of the book were too big/complicated to put on screen. Having read that chapter while the movie was running, I can tell you that it actually works pretty well.[/quote']

Interesting... I'll have to try that if I'm ever inexplicably struck by the urge to endure the first 2 hours of it again... :ugly:

As someone who was tying my flannel shirt around my waist pre-grunge era, carrying a backpack when everyone else was carrying a nylon gymbag and someone who was shaving his head when Rogaine was setting the world on fire I would like to tell the world to stop pinching my style. It's getting embarrassing.

• 8 months later...

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

--

Okay, a couple of recent additions:

* I've never played any collectable card games.

* I haven't watched Doctor Who since it starred Peter Davison.

* I thought The Dark Knight was a horrible, depressing movie and haven't bothered to see the third one.

* Try as I might (and I have), I just can't get into Clockwork Angels, the latest Rush album.

* Once Byron was out of the way, I found the fifth season of Babylon 5 quite good.

* Anime/manga holds no interest for me whatsoever.

* I'm an avid fan of college football.

* If I'm not the worst Halo player in the 801/385 area code, I'm at least solidly in the discussion.

I haven't seen anime in over seven years. The last one I tried to watch just didn't interest me even after several episodes.

I read a lot of Pern, but after Skies of Pern, I put the book down and said, "Never again will I waste my time with this."

There are a lot of sci fi authors I never intend to read, including "must read" series.

I own no Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, etc. merch. I have a couple of ST novels, but nothing more.

I have never owned a gaming console. In college, my roommate had a super Nintendo, but I never owned one (though I played that thing like crazy).

Never even picked up a single Harry Potter book or watched one of the movies.

I find Java too complex to be usable for me.

My favorite programming language is Delphi (a Pascal descendant).