Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Yup. There's no more effective a bunneh repellant than televised sports. When The Fluffy Apocalypse comes' date=' you can keep me out of your house just by turning on the football game. OTOH, that's no defense against indirect-fire weapons. :eg:[/quote']

Nuke Fox Sports From Orbit, it's the only way to be sure?

I don't know if this is geek cred or anti-geek cred (or neutral)' date=' but I hate televised sports. Just hate them. The surest way to drive me out of a room is to turn on "the game." Funny thing is, I don't mind attending sporting events -- I actually like going to them. But turn them on TV and it's Goodbye Bunneh.[/quote']

I understand playing sports. I do not understand watching sports.

Watching sports has all to do with Tribalism. To enjoy it, you must be able to identify with one of the competing teams as your tribe. This is why people shout "We won!" even if they just watched. They may have been mere spectators, but they were part of the victors tribe, and so they won too.

Watching sports has all to do with Tribalism. To enjoy it' date=' you must be able to identify with one of the competing teams as your tribe. This is why people shout "We won!" even if they just watched. They may have been mere spectators, but they were part of the victors tribe, and so they won too.[/quote']

Which, being an anti-social loner who prefers to engage in solo rather than team sports, I don't get.

I don't know if this is geek cred or anti-geek cred (or neutral)' date=' but I hate televised sports. Just hate them. The surest way to drive me out of a room is to turn on "the game." Funny thing is, I don't mind attending sporting events -- I actually like going to them. But turn them on TV and it's Goodbye Bunneh.[/quote']

I'm that way with certain sports. I can't stand televised Baseball but attending a Rays game several years ago was fun if only for the novelty. The few football games I've attended in person (Bucs preseason when they still wore popsicle orange & USFL Bandits coached by Steve Spurrier in the 80's) were not nearly as enjoyable as the televised experience (except for flirting with cheerleeders). Maybe this because I usually only watch/attend games involving a team I care about and like paying attention to the game. Football fans at live games are just a little crazier than those of baseball it seems. It doesn't help that I am way out of my comfort zone in such large crowds.

Fan identification is definitely a tribal thing. I've hardly watched any football (college or professional) this season because I haven't found a team that I feel comfortable rooting for and calling my own as in years past. But I grew up with the Bucs going from a perfect goose egg (0-14 in one season) to 1 game away from the Superbowl (they lost to the Rams who then lost to the Steelers) in a matter of just 3 or 4 years. Suffering through their years of losing to finally win the Superbowl vs. the Raiders was a wonderful experience.

Watching sports has all to do with Tribalism. To enjoy it' date=' you must be able to identify with one of the competing teams as your tribe. This is why people shout "We won!" even if they just watched. They may have been mere spectators, but they were part of the victors tribe, and so they won too.[/quote']

That's not necessarily true. I have no geographically assigned professional sports loyalties, but despite that, I like watching games just to see how the stories play out. (Fantasy football is the reason I started following football in the first place, but once you start watching you kind of want to see how the story ends.)

That's not necessarily true. I have no geographically assigned professional sports loyalties' date=' but despite that, I like watching games just to see how the stories play out. [/quote']

Seconded. I especially get a kick out of "bad" (meaning poorly-played) games, but that's just me.

I can't watch certain sports live or televised. I don't have to play a certain sport in order to appreciate it; I don't play tennis, but I enjoy watching it. I'm usually impartial, although last night I got worked up watching the Djokovic-Hewitt match for some reason.

I'm that way with certain sports. I can't stand televised Baseball but attending a Rays game several years ago was fun if only for the novelty. The few football games I've attended in person (Bucs preseason when they still wore popsicle orange & USFL Bandits coached by Steve Spurrier in the 80's) were not nearly as enjoyable as the televised experience (except for flirting with cheerleeders). Maybe this because I usually only watch/attend games involving a team I care about and like paying attention to the game. Football fans at live games are just a little crazier than those of baseball it seems. It doesn't help that I am way out of my comfort zone in such large crowds.

Fan identification is definitely a tribal thing. I've hardly watched any football (college or professional) this season because I haven't found a team that I feel comfortable rooting for and calling my own as in years past. But I grew up with the Bucs going from a perfect goose egg (0-14 in one season) to 1 game away from the Superbowl (they lost to the Rams who then lost to the Steelers) in a matter of just 3 or 4 years. Suffering through their years of losing to finally win the Superbowl vs. the Raiders was a wonderful experience.

Same experiences here(those Bandit games were fun). I prefer going to baseball(even in the dome) and hockey and watching football and other sports on tv.

I think the reason I kind of like attending live games is because when I was a kid, my dad would take me to Astros baseball games (and later to Nuggets and Rockies games after we moved to Colorado). I don't really care about the games so much, but there's maybe a touch of nostalgia and a little bit of the excitement of "being there." But sports on TV don't have any of that.

Never seen the new Star Wars movies.

Disdain all Star Trek without William Shatner.

Never seen a Terminator film.

Never seen Avatar.

Never seen Robocop.

Never seen Doctor Who.

Disdain all Batman without Adam West.

If Dirk Benedict isn't in it, it's not Battlestar Galactica.

Never seen Babylon 5.

No interest in Japanese cartoons or comic books.

No fetish for Asian girls.

Don't believe Frank Miller's Daredevil or Batman were any good.

Never liked the X-men comic book.

Note sure whether I actually qualify as a geek, though.

--Kap

I thought it was the 2nd most boring movie...

OK, I have to ask. To me it was the most boring waste of celluloid on TV. It might have been better in the theatre, and with proper chemical stimulation, but it was nothing but a pretty light show, to me. What was worse?

If Dirk Benedict isn't in it, it's not Battlestar Galactica.

I liked Stardoe, but not to the Howard Wolowitz extreme. ;) But, It's really not fair to compare the two shows. They were so different that it is like comparing The Andy Griffith Show to Deliverance.

I had nightmares for years after that. Barney Fife was terrifying! :D