In other news...

tkdguy

Hippos really are dangerous creatures.I realized that when reading how one Pharaoh (I forget which one) met his end. The hippo bit his arm and dragged him underwater.

iirc they kill more people than any other African wildlife.     Pharoah could easily have been bitten in half.  

That reminds me of my first weekend in DC.  I'm used to fatalities being newsworthy.  That particular Sunday, the weekend's homicide count was towards the end of the newscast, like a sports score.  "This weekend there were 32 homicides in the city, and police expect that number to rise next week.  And now here's Kitty with the weather!"

Anyway I'm going to take Chicago off the vacation destination list for now.

Our local library has the collection of all his Willie & Joe work. Just amazing.

Though I only saw one of his cartoons in first run (and that in 1971 IIRC), it was, perhaps, the fitting capstone to what he was best known for. Reproduced here, it was his response to Eisenhower's death.

There's a Flint-like lead crisis in the Portland Public Schools, and my brother-in-law on the School Board is caught right in the middle of it.

Apparently several elementary in middle schools in Portland had drinking waters test with substantially unsafe levels of lead. Unlike the open malice that led to the Flint crisis, the Portland issues were probably caused by lead pipes in the very old school buildings. To make matters worse, the filters that were supposed to keep lead out by the time it got to the fountains and sinks were not functional.

Several people in responsible positions have already been fired, but the school board has not yet found the votes to fire the Superintendent (who apparently has some powerful friends).