In other news...

tkdguy

Today the tech has reached a point where I can't beat my phone at chess, which is just sad.

This is why I advocate erasing the line between humans and machines as quickly as possible--the machines will inevitably take over, and we want the machines and ourselves to be the same thing before that happens.

The Journal was talking about the Rose trial where Rose and two other men attacked a drunken woman. She broke down on the stand and started crying when Rose entered the room and sat at the defendant's table.

The defendant's lawyer asked the judge to issue a no crying order.

The judge was like No. I am not going to tell her to stop crying, just like I wouldn't tell her to stop breathing. You can make fun of her when its your turn to ask questions. Until deal with it

CES 

Creepy clowns: Women arrested in US after chasing teens as bizarre trend spreads to Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-08/creepy-clowns-arrested-in-us-as-trend-spreads-to-australia/7915284

#ClownLivesMatter 

Creepy clown trend reaches Victoria, professional clowns launch #ClownLivesMatter movement
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-07/creepy-clown-trend-arrives-in-victoria-police-warn/7913106

This is why I advocate erasing the line between humans and machines as quickly as possible--the machines will inevitably take over, and we want the machines and ourselves to be the same thing before that happens.

Since I am not compatible with machines (aka machines have an irrational sun-searing hatred of me) I will die quickly.

Creepy clowns: Women arrested in US after chasing teens as bizarre trend spreads to Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-08/creepy-clowns-arrested-in-us-as-trend-spreads-to-australia/7915284

#ClownLivesMatter 

Creepy clown trend reaches Victoria, professional clowns launch #ClownLivesMatter movement

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-07/creepy-clown-trend-arrives-in-victoria-police-warn/7913106

Well, if you dress like a clown around me, you do so at your own risk, or at the risk of activating childhood trauma to be channeled into wrath.  :yes:

I tend to play tactically rather than strategically, so I pretty much suck at chess.

My chess game often devolves into abducting the opposing queen before my gets abducted.

And I drive my opponent crazy because I refuse to accept defeat until checkmated, no matter what.  (actually I get a thrill out of drawing out a game seeing how long I can avoid such an end, when I know Ive lost).  Note: I actually got pissed off, at a chess program on one of my old computers, when the computer would randomly call a "tie" (probably some chess rule that I don't fully contemplate) when I had the computer on the ropes.  I would spend the next several minutes of accusing the computer of "cheating" and "cowardice". 

Three repetitions of the same position is among the situations that are defined as a draw.

Also, at any point you can demand an opponent checkmate you within 50 moves, but the count resets to zero whenever a capture occurs or a pawn is moved. Failure to do so results in a draw.

Both of those are obscure because they rarely get fulfilled in casual games, and also casual players usually don't keep track of things carefully enough to be certain of position repetition or the 50-move count.

Besides stalemate (where one side is not in check but has no legal move they can make), the only other way I've seen draws occur is by perpetual check, which is usually a flavor of that three-repetitions thing where one side is repeatedly checking the other and it's just going back and forth between two positions.

I have drawn a game by stalemate (and was lucky to get it), but not any of those others. I have agreed to a number of draws, though.