In other news...

tkdguy

I used to have a Schwinn stingray "bmx" bike. Banana seat, one of those big,clunky, pot-metal double goosenecks, and dirt-bike m/c handlebars.

72ray1.jpg

This is almost exactly it.

I used to jump everything. After many crazy stunts over a couple of years, I attempted to jump 14 aluminum trashcans lying on their sides crosswise - like this I I I I I I I I I I I

I cleared them, but when I landed the handlebars, gooseneck, column, forks, and front wheel snapped off the the rest of the frame. The back half of the frame fell away from under me. I ran about a half-dozen steps carrying the front half before I lost my balance and went down.

It was totally awesome!

This is pretty close to the model I had, except my tire valves weren't that fancy and the seat was black. That bar on the banana seat hurt when it whacked me after flipping over the handle bars. I never knew there was a BMX variant. I got mine in 75 or 76, so not sure if they had those yet. (Spoilered for size) One thing about that old tank is that it was sturdy as heck. That thing lasted me and a cousin who got it as a hand me down a good 20+ years.

20150608_192331.jpg

<Condescending Life Coach tone>

"Because being down in the dumps is just not beautiful sweetie. Turn that frown upside down. Put that smile on and knock out that perfect pot roast for the partner of your sexual orientation."

</Condescending Life Coach tone>

I have actually heard something very similar directed towards women I know. Even being the insensitive man type that I am, I recognize a double-standard when I see one. I don't want to risk this becoming another thread about society's casual disregard for the fairer sex (we have one of those already), but there is a whole different societal expectation regarding appearance between men and women. Even "metrosexual" men can slip up without anybody blinking an eye of disapproval. A woman doesn't appear at her best everyday? Out comes the Floating test.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that an article about clinical depression falls under "beauty."