In other news...

tkdguy

In our 'what the ####?!!!!" Story of the week for me

A Georgia Man is ordered to cut off his own dog's dead head by a deputy

I get that the Deputy shot the dog because it lunged at him. I don't like it when dogs get shot, but in this case I get it. I can get that the dog's vaccinations need to be confirmed. But telling a man he has to cut off his own dead dog's head off, that you shot, RIGHT NOW or he's going to jail for 'Reasons' (Which you will find by God) is borderline insane, and such a grotesque and surreal metaphor for abuse of power my mind boggles. 

From Campus Security's "Timely Notice" email:

A carjacking was reported to have occurred in the early morning on November 28th, 2017  in the 800 Block of 12th Avenue. While the victim was sleeping in the back seat of his parked vehicle with the engine running, the suspect entered the vehicle and drove it out of the area with the victim inside. The victim woke up and called 911 while the suspect was still driving the vehicle. The suspect assaulted the victim, removed him from the vehicle, and drove away. The Seattle Police located the vehicle and arrested the suspect a short time later.

Not blame the victim, but ... WTF?  Asleep with the engine running?  Didn't people go to sleep in their car with the engine running when they were trying to commit suicide by carbon monoxide? 

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Not blame the victim, but ... WTF?  Asleep with the engine running?  Didn't people go to sleep in their car with the engine running when they were trying to commit suicide by carbon monoxide? 

The only way to keep the heating running, is to keep the engine running. Even if the car is not moving.

Hm, OK, but it wasn't particularly cold then ... low temperature was 6 C (43 F for us USers).  Sleeping in the car instead of a DUI risk makes some sense, but ... dunno.  I've slept in my car, but not with the engine running.  Seems like asking for multiple types of trouble.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Hm, OK, but it wasn't particularly cold then ... low temperature was 6 C (43 F for us USers).  Sleeping in the car instead of a DUI risk makes some sense, but ... dunno.  I've slept in my car, but not with the engine running.  Seems like asking for multiple types of trouble.

There are people in most American cities who live in their cars. It's the only shelter they have, There are families who live in their cars.

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

Back in 1998, I depicted a slaughterbot in a bit of color text I wrote for White Wolf's game Aberrant, as something that existed in the game's "future" of 2008. It was a self-steering rocket, not a drone, but it did the same sort of thing: You fire it, it finds the target and blows up.

Fortunately for the politician target, her appearance was actually a lifelike audio-animatronic telepresence robot.

Dean Shomshak

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Probably living in his car. In that case, not likely that it was in an enclosed space.

Edit: Naturally, after I make the post I notice that what I said has already been addressed. Ah, well. One of those days.

Snowing now in VA,  the snow might actually sort of stick to the road,  tribulation has come, this may be my last entry.

Note:  If you live in the South, on snowy days, you should always use the bathroom before leaving for a drive, as the sight of snow has been known to scare the poop out of Southern drivers.

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

I can think of a number of ways to counter this threat. Here are jsut some ideas:

Passive Defenses:

A Helmet. The charge is precisely calibrated and a helmet needs either a lot more power and/or force the attack to a less vulnerable part of the body (where you need more power).

Nets. Like hte kinds already used agaisnt flies and other small insects. Once you tangle up one propeller, these minidrones are hosed. And as little as one thread could tangle up a whole propeller. A simple "wall" of threads would be a deadly counter for minidrones. While not even bothering a human.

Wind. Something this small is by nature more succeptible to natural forces that a airplane can ignore.

Active Defenses:

Their small frame is their biggest weakness, as it makes them highly succeptible to damage. Any form of AoE attack would be effective and negate the dodging maneuvers.

Something as simple as a shootgun could work.

We are actively working on dealing with drones where they not belong. The two primary approaches are using nets to catch them (SkyWall, Skynet) or lasers to fry them. The "net" approach could be easily proliferated for civilian use, without causing too much troubles. A simple automatic gun firing low-force projectiles that burst into nets. Basically a toned down version of what is already used in Point Defense Systems. The targets are a lot slower moving, so this thing can be a lot more primitive.

Legislation:

See technical complexity defense below. Basically you declare drones (and parts to build them) below a certain size to fall under "Weapons of War" legislations.

I could see some issues in unexpected fields - for example Computer fans might be repurposeable into propellers - but that should be about it.

The same could be said abou the hardware capable of doing face recognition in realtime while compressed down to that size. Even CCTV Systems would propably have a central piece of hardware (like a computer) doing that work.

Technical Complexity:

I would not underestimate the difficulty of miniturizing both the Drone, the Shaped Charge and the hardware capable of realtime face recognition. Especially as you need to mass-produce them. There is a lot of room betweem a Qassam Rocket and a guided missiles.

When people talk about nuclear weapons, they do not realise just how difficulty it is to get a proper chain reaction going. A dirty bomb is a million times more likely.

Realworld scenarios:

The realworld terror scenarios involving drones are much more "conventional" and "low tech":

Something like just putting a bomb into a normal sized drone.

Or even just repurposing a farming drone to spray something dangerous (like any radioactive liquid).

Slaughterbots are more a future warfare scenario (except for my noted lowtech counters) or maybe a scenario for a AGI Rebellion (wich could see us using Skynet vs Skynet).