In other news...

tkdguy

I still want a warrant. My house, as far as I know, has no illegal contraband in it. I still want a warrant if they search it. My phone, as far as I know, isn't calling Daesh or other terrorist organization or being used to arrange drug drops. I still want them to have a warrant. 

It it means the police have to actually do paperwork, the poor precious dears, tough stuff. Our rights as Citizens come before the ease of any government agency. First, Last, Always.

To quote this article:

President Donald Trump's administration said in court papers the government has a "compelling interest" in acquiring the data without a warrant because the information is particularly useful at the early stages of a criminal investigation.

Has anyone pointed out to the administration that, by this same logic, Robert Mueller wouldn't need a warrant to acquire, say, the cell phone info throughout the election for anybody connected to the campaign?

The US doesn't formally recognize dual citizenship, but it doesn't do anything against it.  Great Britain does allow dual citizenship. If Markle chooses to have kids, they will be natural born US citizens.  Depending on how the emoluments clause gets interpreted, one kid could go on to be both President of the United States and in line to become Queen.

(I'm now being told that the royal family isn't allowed to hold office.  Not sure if that is just in Great Britain or they forbid foreign office too)

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I read somewhere that Markle intends to give up her American citizenship after the wedding.

There may well be a constitutional requirement. There's definitely precedent; it's actually normal for royals to marry foreigners, usually from other royal families. This business of hitching up with commoners is a bit of a modern fad (Diana doesn't count - her family are old blue bloods and her father was the 8th Earl of Spencer). I blame Prince Rainier of Monaco for starting the trend.

I'm fairly certain Phillip was required to become a sole British citizen, though marrying the actual heir is a few steps up from marrying 5th in line for the Throne (and counting), and the Marriage Act and CoE rules have changed a lot since then.  

I still want a warrant. My house, as far as I know, has no illegal contraband in it. I still want a warrant if they search it. My phone, as far as I know, isn't calling Daesh or other terrorist organization or being used to arrange drug drops. I still want them to have a warrant. 

It it means the police have to actually do paperwork, the poor precious dears, tough stuff. Our rights as Citizens come before the ease of any government agency. First, Last, Always.

I absolutely, 100% agree with you that this is how it should be. However, it's not how it IS. Unless and until we can turn things around and re-secure the rights of the common people, we need to be sure to operate according to our unpleasant reality.

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

A Bosnian Croat war criminal reacts in an unexpected way in court after sentencing upheld

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42163613

Yaaaayyy!

(And if someone wants  gets all self righteous about me cheering the death of this guy, don't. He was a war criminal, a convicted war criminal. I'm glad he's no longer taking up food, water and air. Some people here cheered when Manson croaked, and this guy probably makes uncle charlie

look like an eagle scout.)

2 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

I absolutely, 100% agree with you that this is how it should be. However, it's not how it IS. Unless and until we can turn things around and re-secure the rights of the common people, we need to be sure to operate according to our unpleasant reality.

That is sadly true.

1 hour ago, Tech priest support said:

Yaaaayyy!

(And if someone wants  gets all self righteous about me cheering the death of this guy, don't. He was a war criminal, a convicted war criminal. I'm glad he's no longer taking up food, water and air. Some people here cheered when Manson croaked, and this guy probably makes uncle charlie

look like an eagle scout.)

I wont be stopping you from being glad he is gone, at least.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Jury Nullification is its own can of worms.

But I certainly would be tempted to use it if I felt it right to do so.

I'd probably instead just end up kicked off the jury

If you believe the law is being used abusively and to violate people's rights you should get on the jury and do what you can to stop a conviction.